Battery life

I heard abount ODYSSEY batteries and in fact wanted to install one. But value proposition is difficult to adjust. Here's why. The battery came out to be approx. $300 with NJ tax. If I go for a decent battery it's approx. $80. Even if I change it on 4th. year (any decent ones seem to at least last 3 years), in 9 years I spend $240. I also get back something if there's pro-rata warranty. Considering return of core, pro-rata returned by manufacturing and factoring inflation - 9 year cost, let's say will still come out to $240. If I go for more higher end batteries savings is even more. Also note: they aren't really guaranteeing 10 years.

Of course - if folks pay someone to install, etc. that's different.

I have some problems with your numbers being skewed to your advantage...

#1. Please tell us where to find a decent battery for $80 with tax! I can not find one that matches or exceeds OEM spec for under $120 with tax...
#2 Please shop around for the odyssey battery, I paid $199 plus tax... def not $300.

I was going through batteries every 26 months on the OEM's. Odyssey battery was almost 5 years old when vehicle was sold off. You only have to be stranded once to learn the true cost of safety and reliability.

I'd add that if your primary driving environment is urban or suburban then the battery may not be a concern. There's almost always a NAPA or AAA nearby.

If you take trips out into the wilderness, then the best bang for your buck is a very strong battery. Sucks to have to call AAA, but it sucks way more to be on the side of a mountain with no cell service, AAA couldn't get there anyway and your battery is dead.

Not advocating for one battery or the other though.

Bought my CX5 on 5/11/12 and my battery went about a month ago. It would not start without a jump if left overnight. No problems during the day. It hasn't been that cold here in NJ either.

Took the car over to Autozone, then Firestone. Both places tested alternator and battery and the latter was no longer charging correctly nor holding correct voltage. Firestone replaced the battery for around $120. That's the cheapest I could find.

My 2006 Mazda3 battery lasted 8 years with 0 maintenance done on refilling electrolytes here in Rochester NY (hot summers, cold winters). In my CX-5, it's 2 years old now, and battery seems fine so far.

If you have a Interstate distributer near by, ask about a blemished battery. Full warenty, very low price.

Happy New Year to all you CX-5 guys,I have a 13' Touring with 52,175 miles on it.I changed the battery last year and I checked the voltage today(46 degrees F) and I got about 12.15 volts when the car was off and 13.95 volts when the car was turned on with the alternator running.Are these good voltages and does the weather(I live in cold nyc weather) decrease the voltages of batteries?

Happy New Year to all you CX-5 guys,I have a 13' Touring with 52,175 miles on it.I changed the battery last year and I checked the voltage today(46 degrees F) and I got about 12.15 volts when the car was off and 13.95 volts when the car was turned on with the alternator running.Are these good voltages and does the weather(I live in cold nyc weather) decrease the voltages of batteries?
Yes, the cold temps slow down the chemical reaction inside the battery. Reducing voltage and cranking amps available. This is also why batteries are rated in CCA or COLD CRANKING AMPS. But it is not the most important thing to look at when buying a new battery...

Good info here courtesy of OPTIMA: http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/experience/power-source/what-does-cold-cranking-amps-cca-mean/

Yes, the cold temps slow down the chemical reaction inside the battery. Reducing voltage and cranking amps available. This is also why batteries are rated in CCA or COLD CRANKING AMPS. But it is not the most important thing to look at when buying a new battery...

Good info here courtesy of OPTIMA: http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/experience/power-source/what-does-cold-cranking-amps-cca-mean/

So I should be good for upcoming temperatures in the 30s.I might even put it in a garage for the month of January.

I'm at 3.5 years in Maryland's hot summers and cold winters, still going strong (fingers crossed).

Anyone do a Battery Relocation to the trunk? Maybe it will help with longevity for those living in super hot climate regions as well as improve slightly the weight distribution.

I only have 1500 miles in 4.5 months which is not helpful for this topic.

Funny you brought this up, my BMW has the battery in the trunk and its going on 5 years and still test 100%. Not sure this is the reason, but thought it was an interesting comment.

Wife's CX-5 battery was completely drained last night. She likely left a light on or the door opened. Jumped started after a slight issue with finding a proper "ground" section to connect the negative clip to. I first used a painted surface- no go. A thin non painted surface above the headlights- a bit better but no go. Then I clipped the negative end to the silver exposed chunk of metal found to the left of the engine block and it started right away.

Went to Oreilly Auto and had the almost 4 year-old oem battery checked. I was below spec but should last a bit longer. I'm shopping for a battery this weekend. Anyone know what the OEM spec is in CCA's?

Wife's CX-5 battery was completely drained last night. She likely left a light on or the door opened. Jumped started after a slight issue with finding a proper "ground" section to connect the negative clip to. I first used a painted surface- no go. A thin non painted surface above the headlights- a bit better but no go. Then I clipped the negative end to the silver exposed chunk of metal found to the left of the engine block and it started right away.

Went to Oreilly Auto and had the almost 4 year-old oem battery checked. I was below spec but should last a bit longer. I'm shopping for a battery this weekend. Anyone know what the OEM spec is in CCA's?

The owner's manual picture present showing where to ground.

Ground to a strut tower nut. I thought the interior lights are on a time? I know when I was installed my hitch wiring the interior lights timed out and turned off, maybe you have another issue?

I have seen this occur under these circumstances:
1. You bring the running vehicle to a stop, as to park in your garage.
2. With the foot on the brake, and the vehicle still in DRIVE, you press the START/STOP button.
3. With the motor now stopped, the transmission is then moved to PARK.
4. Person exits vehicle. However ignition is still ON

If the transmission shifter was not in PARK, when the motor was stopped with the START/STOP button, the ignition is still on.

Last edited:
I have seen this occur under these circumstances:
1. You bring the running vehicle to a stop, as to park in your garage.
2. With the foot on the brake, and the vehicle still in DRIVE, you press the START/STOP button.
3. With the motor now stopped, the transmission is then moved to PARK.
4. Person exits vehicle. However ignition is still ON

If the transmission shifter was not in PARK, when the motor was stopped with the START/STOP button, the ignition is still on.

This may be a potential case as this had ^ happened when we first got the CX-5. My wife was a bit new to the push start feature. That said when arriving to inspect the CX-5 at my wife's work there was nothing lighting up (dome lights, clock, ect.). Nor was there a chime. After I correctly linked the jumper cables and standing in front of the engine bay, the CX-5's alarm and lights started flashing. Kinda weird I thought. I hopped in and sure enough I started the car. When last checked at the dealership they advised the Battery was within spec. At Oreilly's last night they said it was below spec. Anyone know what the CCA is? I may purchase an aftermarket 640CCA battery.

Last edited:
OEM is a low CCA of around 500. You're looking for a group 35 battery, and almost all replacements will be 600+ CCA but will not have quite the same reserve capacity as the OEM Panasonic.

I'm planning on a Bosch AGM from Pepboys, about $175 with coupon and 4 years free replacement.

The owner's manual picture present showing where to ground.
Duh, I should've checked the manual first. Would've saved me some time.

OEM is a low CCA of around 500. You're looking for a group 35 battery, and almost all replacements will be 600+ CCA but will not have quite the same reserve capacity as the OEM Panasonic. Hmm 500 is on the lower end of this class. How do you tells what a battery's "reserve capacity" is?

I'm planning on a Bosch AGM from Pepboys, about $175 with coupon and 4 years free replacement.

I've seen that Bosch battery on Amazon I think. There is an Interstate Battery Center 5 minutes drive from my house so I'm looking into what they have. Here's what they offer for the CX-5: http://www.interstatebatteries.com/...72Z1xh72ozZ1z0twgcZzihwsq?dsNav=A~Part+Number Their MegaTron Plus has a six year warranty and hopefully is under $150 at my local dealer.

Last edited:
Back