Bad sounds from engine bay

rdaex

:
Then: 02 P5. Now: 07 CBM MS3
Upon getting out of the car tonight, I heard an unusual noise from the underhood..

It was a chatter, almost like the sound of those chattering teeth... thats the only way to describe it... Any ideas?

Edit: I also get a weird sqeuaking sound when the turbo stops spinning after shutdown.. is that normal?

Last edited:
Well, there is some stuff in there that helps cool the turbo after shut-down. I guess it might be called a chattering sound.

I guess I should have specified.. the car was running, I heard the sound when I opened the door to get out.
I have been advised it may be the throwout bearing (no big deal), or possibly a tensioner pully (bigger deal), but feel free to continue the discussion..

Might be the noisy throwout. I get it all the time

Try to get a good listen while pushing the clutch pedal in and out at a stop

If you're getting a squeak when shutting the car down then maybe your radiator fan is starting to go. That stays on (generally on a warmer day) a little after you shut down

Noisy throwout would change or stop when you push the clutch in. If it's coming from the top DS of the engine, could be fuel pump internals shitting the bed. PS top noise: Open the oil fill (engine off) and push down on the cam chain. Any vertical play here indicates a VVT actuator or cam chain tensioner failure, which can be noisy also.

look for a tensioner pulley how to, I think it had an audio clip. good writeup as well

I have the same problem...Mine is the throwout bearing...It doesn't happen constantly. If you repeatedly press the clutch in and out quickly a few times, it usually goes away. But it will come back. Makes the car sound like ass!!! I hate it. But I'm too poor to change the clutch

Latest posts

Back