Bad oxygen sensor -- mechanic wants $450!!!

gretchen333

:
2003 Protege5
My mechanic claims a "universal" O2 sensor will not work, and that I must get an "original equipment" sensor (mind you, he's not getting it from mazda...). He said that is $350. The remainder is install ($33) and diagnostics (I can't believe I'm paying him $60 to hook that thing up to my car when my boyfriend owns one of them! ARUG!)

Anyway -- I asked him if he would install the part if I supplied it for him, and he said yes. SURELY I can find this for less than $350! Can you all please suggest where I could get this?

Oh, and he said the sensor itself is working - but the heater in it is not. And he says the whole thing must be replaced. I do not know which sensor it is (as I didn't realize there were two until I started reading your forums) but I'm going to pick it up in a little bit and will ask him.

He said it's safe to drive for now, but will not pass emissions -- which, of course, I have to do in December.

I've been a lurker here for a long time, but now that my warranty is up, I finally must post. I've got a 2003 Protege5 with 56k miles on it. Two weeks ago it threw a belt and the water pump stopped working and it overheated. Could that be what caused the failure?

THANK YOU!!!!

It is always safer to go with oem, and unfortunatly 02 sensors are pretty expensive.
call around to local mazda dealers, auto-zones, advance, o'riely's...whatever and get some quotes.
they will still probably around $100-$200 bucks i'm guessing for a decent one.

Hi, congrats on your first post.

Now $350 for one oxygen sensor is absurd, you can probably get both oxygen sensors for that much. (boom02)

Get to the parts department of a Mazda dealer and get it yourself. The primary oxygen sensor(the one on the exhaust manifold......the one you see infront of the engine when you look in your engine bay.)..is usually reffered to as far as the regard to the heater circuit. This fro the dealer should run you in the low $100's. If you cant get it that low, PM me and we can work something out.
However, your mechanic was right about the universal sensor, its crap. You are better off getting it from the dealer.

As far as the water pump and the car overheating, I don't think it would have caused your oxygen sensor's heater circuit to go. Don't quote me on that but, I have never heard of that. However, make sure your timing belt it okay. Usually when your water pump goes your timing belt is probably worn as either due to the water pump or pump can go back due to the timing belt.

Good luck and let us know how everything works out.

I forgot keep an eye out for your head gasket, those go due to over heating issues as well.....and thats a project to handle as well.

^ those links are to jason/bagman1 @ montgomery mazda

but going with ken at protege garage is another good option

strange, locally in CANADA O2 sensors are around $50, my buddy recently got an O2 sensor for his wrx for $46 and some change

$450 can buy you a new set of tires

A million thank-yous! I appreciate all of the input. I emailed montgomery mazda to make sure that is the part that I need -- if so, I'll go ahead and order it. It was the primary one, as you all suspected. My local mazda dealer wanted $166 for it, which seems cheap compared to the $350 this mechanic wanted. He said that he called 6 parts stores before he found one that had the part in stock..... up until this point I've liked this place and trusted them. Don't know if the parts store was taking him for a ride, or if he was taking me for one. (bang) And my question to him is also why didn't he call the dealer, who had it in stock?? Anyway.... looks like you all are helping me save around $200 and I can't thank you enough!!

My BF recently had troubles with his older volvo not passion emissions. He bought all of his parts himself off the net and also saved a small fortune. I think that's my plan from here on out!! THANKS!!!! :)

I wish I could hang out in these forums and help other people, but my knowledge of cars is limited to keys and gas. However if anyone needs any home repair advice/remodeling/real estate or pet advice - I'm knowledgeable on both of those topics so feel free to email me! ;)

Thanks again!
Gretchen

ps. Peajay - although I don't live there anymore, I bought this mazda at Byers there in Columbus. BEST car buying experience I have ever had! Fabulous dealership! :)

Last edited:
I got a universal 02 from ebay $43 shipped. Installed it myself in 20 minutes. Ah $350.... dont think so.

You could check the for sales section, there are a couple of people who are parting out their crashed cars, see if they'll cut you a deal on the sensors. Good luck

the oem o2 sensors are indeed really expensive. i know from experience, i replaced both of them. they are both in the $200 range so you are looking at $400 - $500 for both. I did some research when i got mine cause i didnt feel like paying that much money but yet didnt want to get the universal o2 sensors, so luckily, i came across this web site and they offer all oem mazda parts for 30% - 50% off regular price, including o2 sensors. http://www.mazdapontiacgmcparts.net/This is the web site, although it looks like you cant browse proteges anymore, you can give them a call and talk to a representative. they should still have them. good luck.

I got a universal 02 from ebay $43 shipped. Installed it myself in 20 minutes. Ah $350.... don't think so.

Your right.

Grab a good universal O2 like ngk or Bosch and wire it up and install it. WAYYYYYYY cheaper and even if you replaced them twice as often its still cheaper.

The universals work just fine on these cars. Only a few companies make O2 sensors so most use the same as stock sensor, just the plug is different. It takes longer to install but worth the money. My M3 has 4 O2 sensors and they cant use universals on the OBD II e36 M3's but they were still only a little over $100 each from BMW, theres no way that his price is legit.. time to get a new mechanic..

Seriously go ask a friend to install the o2 sensor its not that hard. You unplug it slap a 02 sensor socket on it (one with a slit down the side for the wire) and take it off..

Again if your bf can change a spark plug, oil, basic maintence himself then he can go purchase a 02 sensor socket and save you what 55-125 for that hour yoru mechanic is going to charge you.

You can get a o2 sensor socket from autozone for next to nothing compared to what your mech is going to charge.
http://www.autozone.com/R,NONAPP22807/store,408/shopping/accessoryProductDetail.htm

edit:
here is a better picture of a 02 sensor socket... Oh I forgot to mention that unplugging the stock sensor could be a pain.

1015A-lg.gif

Last edited:
no need to go with an oem sensor. After market sensors such as bosche will do just fiine, and will be cheaper

You don't even need the special socket to remove and replace!

Cut the wire off and use a regular socket (impact is 'best') and soak with PB Blaster. Use a box end wrench to install the new one.

The special socket is for removing and re-installing an o2 sensor!

One more vote for uiniversal (see the how-to section IIRC for wiring directions). Solder and heat shrink FTW!

Back