Bad engine noise

Might be just one of my belts but it doesn't sound too good. Crazy whine when the car is on, coming from passenger side of engine. Worse when cold, rev car and it gets louder, gets louder when I turn the wheel as well. Goes away a little when car warms up but never completely goes away. Started a couple of days ago but the car hasn't really moved much since due to xmas

Possible causes?

Had a similar problem when I first got my car. High pitched, almost metal to metal noise, coming from the pully side of the engine. Mazda dealership changed out the power steering pump and the tensioner pully. It eliminated 95% of the noise i had been hearing, and i think the remaining is "normal" for my car.

it's certainly power steering related. My steering today is stiff as hell. Car hasn't moved since I heard the noise, dealer isn't open until tomorrow.

P/s pump/pulley failure probably the root cause of your problem... If you can tow the car to the dealership to avoid further damage...

well, the xmas nonsense calmed down enough for me to take a closer look. Power steering fluid was all gone, and sure enough leaked onto ground. Must have been slow leak. Refilled, problem is gone. Will call dealer when they open again. Probably clamp on hose or hose itlself.

car was in today, they think it's the high pressure hose, 280 bucks canadian for the hose alone. Of course, not in stock, need to ship it, and get car back in next week, total for repair job...near 500 mark

I'm at the point now where I think I'm just done with Mazda. Smoking turbo's, clunking suspensions, issues upon issues that never get taken care of. It doesn't matter how nice staff are too me at times, if the product isn't reliable, there is no point in going through it again. Few months left on lease and I think I'm gone. Sad, as this is the single best car for the money I've ever had, love the power, love the looks, love the interior, but I'm getting too old to deal with constant issues not getting taken care of.

Back