Back deck rattling/vibration fix?

TenaciousB

:
03 MSP Black Mica #254
Hey, just wanted to know if anyone had any good ideas to keep the back deck (inside the car where the rear speakers are), from rattling/vibrating when the music is turned up loud. I thought about putting some dynamat stuff in the trunk on the underneath side, but I haven't got anymore ideas. It sucks because I have to turn the bass way down because its drivin me crazy.

Unhook it from inside the trunk
Fold it up and into the backseat
line the underside edges with some weather stripping (cost me about $5 for a roll at Home Depot)
reattach the decklid through the trunk

I did this about a year ago. Cost me about $5 and took about 1 hour. Been rattle free since.

When you state "unhook", are you referring to the woofer box? If so, where are the hooks? I'll check again today, but I don't seem to remember seeing them the last time I looked. I'd like to do this, but have been too busy to hunt down what attaches the woofer box to the rear deck.

Thanks!

Steve B.
'03.5 MSP

TX Speed Demon said:
Unhook it from inside the trunk
Fold it up and into the backseat
line the underside edges with some weather stripping (cost me about $5 for a roll at Home Depot)
reattach the decklid through the trunk

I did this about a year ago. Cost me about $5 and took about 1 hour. Been rattle free since.

I don't have a MSP, but when I swapped out the stock speakers for my pioneers I noticed an annoying ass vibration from the deck, so I just wedged little pieces of rubber inbetween the window and the deck lid, problem solved.

great, i've been looking for a fix to do this. the buzzing annoys me so much. thanks.

ditto... mine ******* annoys the s*** out of me...

any details, explanations, pictures, stories are wanted!!!

I have no pictures but I'll try my best...what I used to wedge in there was about...1/3 Inch thick rubber with adhesive on the back(bought it at lowes), cut it into pretty small pieces about [.......] long, then wedged about...6 or 7 along the back deck inbetween the window all the length of the window.

looking at it you can't even tell that i've wedged anything in there, oh and I also didn't use the adhesive, wedging worked fine.

hope this helps you guys (thumb)

You don't unhook the woofer box, that is not connected to the rear decklid in any way. That is connected to the two metal brackets on each side.

You may need to remove it to unhook the rear decklid from the car. My woofer box was allready removed at the time.

There are about 4 tabs that come out the bottom of the decklid and through the meal support underneath (above the subwoofer enclosure) I don't have pictures of those anymore, but they are similar to these here you'll also need to undo.

backseat.JPG

You need to push those tabs up from the trunk into the inside of the car. After those are loose you can push the decklid up into the inside of the car. It will still be held in place by the seatbelt straps, but you can flip it over so what was facing the rear of the car is now facing the front and the bottom of the decklid is now facing up.

Then just line the bottom of the decklid with some weather stripping. The rattling is coming from the plastic decklid vibrating against the metal support underneath. If you get something inbetween the two pieces the rattling will stop.

Last edited:
TX Speed Demon said:
You don't unhook the woofer box, that is not connected to the rear decklid in any way. That is connected to the two metal brackets on each side.

You may need to remove it to unhook the rear decklid from the car. My woofer box was allready removed at the time.

There are about 4 tabs that come out the bottom of the decklid and through the meal support underneath (above the subwoofer enclosure) I don't have pictures of those anymore, but they are similar to these here you'll also need to undo.

backseat.JPG

You need to push those tabs up from the trunk into the inside of the car. After those are loose you can push the decklid up into the inside of the car. It will still be held in place by the seatbelt straps, but you can flip it over so what was facing the rear of the car is now facing the front and the bottom of the decklid is now facing up.

Then just line the bottom of the decklid with some weather stripping. The rattling is coming from the plastic decklid vibrating against the metal support underneath. If you get something inbetween the two pieces the rattling will stop.

Sweet, thanks for the more detailed instructions.

TX Speed Demon said:

What do you mean by "bottom"? The part you are pointing at in the picture?

I need to do this so bad. Mine rattles when I go over almost any bump. Unless I have the radio turned up a lot, it drives me nuts.

Back