axr clunk fix effect on handling

chomper149

:
#1417 Titanium MSP
For the people with the AXR clunk fix. is there actually a noticable change in handling or would you guys suggest just getting a beefier rear sway?

If you're referring to the clunk from the rear sway bar, yes, it is a very noticeable difference in handling. I had to order the bushings from a Mazda dealership. And the handling difference was immediately noticeable. I recommend it.

but you go the AXR clunk fix that relocates the mounting points outward? I still have mine nib and cant decide if i want to upgrade the rear mount or if this will be a big enough difference in handling and not just for the clunk fix.

the AXR clunk fix brackets will make a noticeable difference in handling. apart from fixing the clunk issue, it relocates the bushing to make the sway bar more effective.

point of interest: mazda contracted racing beat to develop the suspension for the MP3 (and by extension, the MSP), and their design for the rear sway bar included similar brackets. however, due to costing, mazda chose not to incorporate the brackets in the production configuration.

You can't buy them anywhere. They were put together by a vendor on this web site, but he has since stopped production and stopped putting together group buys. There was someone interested in starting it up again with his design, but I think that fell through as well.

For handling, the car rotates much better with the clunk fix bracket than without it. This is coming from an autocrosser who did one season with it, then had to remove it because I started going to national events and could get called out on it for breaking stock class rules. I sure do miss the brackets.

Thanks, if you see anything starting back up please let me know. I will keep and eye out for this as well.

anyone use the AXR and then switch to AWR rear bar or vise versa? Im guessing the stiffer rear AWR wont make up for the vertical strain that the AXR mounts will.

The AWR sway bar will make the clunk worse with the OEM mounting position because it's stiffer, so it puts more strain on the bushings and brackets. The OEM rear bar works great with the AXR brackets because it mounts it "correctly" so the bar will work to its full potential.

Back