Axles?LSD?Help

em1kid

OK so when im coming out of first gear and turning the wheel from a stop, right when i start moving i hear a noise from the axle area until i straighten my wheel out. it doesnt sound like a cv joint clunk, it sounds like a grinding or almost like a loud rubbing its weird. it is the first time i heard it from a car. I also just got an elignment and when i acclerate my car pulls hard right. does this have any connection? let me know what you think, Thanks

Wheel bearing is a possibility. Lift the car, and grab the wheel at the top and bottom and see if there's any play in the bearing. If the wheel moves, you need a new bearing.

the tires arent rubbing that is the first thing i checked. sounds like more of a metal to metal rubbing or grinding its really weird and had to explain. but thanks everyone and if anyone else knows please help me out

if its a mechanical popping, I would suspect a CV... try taking a tight turn in the gas and out of the gas. if the sound disappears out of the gas, its probably your CV.

I honestly had the same problems in my P5 last year and all it ended up being was a shot bearing on the passenger side. I even went through the trouble of replacing the entire axle cuz I thought it was the CV, only to find out that the noise was still there. Check the bearings first, it's an easy diagnosis.

Lift car, grab wheel at top and bottom, and see if it has any play.

My car is doing the exact same thing. I replaced the driver side wheel bearing because it was in fact bad. It did not solve the problem and my passenger side bearing is still solid. So if you come up with a solution please let me know!! The noise is driving me crazy!!

Edit to add that I also changed my trans fluid cuz I had a leaky sensor and that did not help. Does it get louder when your car is under load? Like say when your taking off from a stand still on a hill?

Last edited:
Thanks krayziefox i am going to check that tomorrow and hopefully it works!! spud321x i cant agree with u more that noise drive me crazy! but i havent been up any hills, i live in soflo but even if im coming out of first going straight, u can hear it a lil. it even does it in reverse. but ill let u know whats going on tomorrow when i jack it up

I dont think mine does it in reverse. And mine only does it when I get on it. Not really give it hell but say to get up too speed quick cuz you pull out in front of someone. I noticed where my passenger side CV shaft connects to the other shaft which goes to the trans there is a lil bit of bare metal showing. Possibly the bushing/bearing in there could be going out or something.....but I guess it would make the noise all the time then...hmmmm

i checked the wheel bearings yesterday and there was no movement...im still stumped...

Do either of your CV's have any play in them? IIRC CVs will have some play in them if they are gonna go out. I noticed that my drivers side CV has a torn boot. It could be losing all the grease and causing the noise. Maybe check that out too.

they typically don't wear out unless the boot tears (they then lose lubrication and fail), or have like 300K on them....

Back