axle stuck in tranny please help!

hi guys i have a 1994 Mazda mx3 4 banger the 1.6l 5 speed anyways its making a loud humming noise similar to like a train when i go over 30 (uhm) i thought it was the barrings but its not my brother checked it out for me he tried to take out the axle but its stuck by the tranny side we tried prying it out all kinds of ways it dosent budge ! im guessing who ever replaced the axle put it in wrong or was the wrong axle and just jammed it in so what now how can i get this thing out i just bought it and put a lot of money in it what can that noise be from the axle? or possibly that it messed up my tranny ? any help would be highly appreciated

Axles don't always come out easily...it doesn't mean that it was installed wrong, or that it isn't the bearing. It probably is. When you say it's stuck on the tranny side, my question is why are you removing it from there? The wheel hub should pull out of the axle...leave the axle in the tranny, that is not where your problem is. remove the hub from the axle using and axle puller. Go to autozone and use their loan-a-tool program to get an axle puller...they can show you how to use it. It should fix you right up.

Last edited:
Just replaced my pass side axle in '02 Pro5.
Remove 2 bolts on shock
Remove caliper (for more room) and tie up to spring
Removed outer tie rod (just because I was "in the neighborhood" and replaced with new at end of job)
Remove hub nut (32mm)
I think that's everything?
Move hub assembly out of the way (it just kind of falls away via control arm/ball joint)
I yanked until the knuckle joint inside the baffle broke and I got grease EVERYWHERE. From here I went under the car pulled with one hand and "popped" the cylinder with a small 3 lb sledge. It came right out! I was pumped. I have heard however, not in my car but some, that the there may be an ABS pin that needs to come out first. It's obvious when its (the pin) is there. Hope this helps.

Back