AWR CF Dash

Hey all,

Gettin ready to order the AWR Carbon Fiber dash replacement, and wanted to know if any of you have experience with it. Wasn't sure how much weight it actually saves, but I want to put it in at the same time I have the cage getting welded up. :D

Also, how hard is it to get a stock steering wheel off without poppin the airbag? I've never had to mess with one until this car, so its a new thing to me.

/\lpha (cheers)

Beemer_Killer said:
Hey all,

Gettin ready to order the AWR Carbon Fiber dash replacement, and wanted to know if any of you have experience with it. Wasn't sure how much weight it actually saves, but I want to put it in at the same time I have the cage getting welded up. :D

Also, how hard is it to get a stock steering wheel off without poppin the airbag? I've never had to mess with one until this car, so its a new thing to me.

Well with mods like you already have I'm assuming you know the dash is really for race use only and from what I've heard doesn't look too great because well they don't expect it to be in a daily driver. But other than that, go ahead I guess. I don't really have any answers in terms of the steering wheel stuff, haven't taken mine off.

Someone was selling a CF dash on eBay a while back...it looked like ass. It was not a show-quality finish.

That dash doesn't have the lower part of the dash or the a way to attach the glove compartment. If your looking for track use only then go for it. It weighs like 3-4 pounds or something like that. Its really light.

Beemer_Killer said:
Unplug your battery and wait (I think it's 30 minutes) and remove your steering wheel. Don't try it w/the battery plugged in, or you'll end up like the chick on that movie Final Destination 2 (boom07)

WiL

ke20sprinter said:
Unplug your battery and wait (I think it's 30 minutes) and remove your steering wheel. Don't try it w/the battery plugged in, or you'll end up like the chick on that movie Final Destination 2 (boom07)

WiL

totally off topic and a bit random - your avatar is kicka$$! Is there more to it??

That avatar's cool, but I just think this thing's neat!
club4ag2.gif

Beemer, you can unhook the battery and press the brake pedal until the brake lights stop coming on. Either way, stay out of the direct line of fire.

Last edited:
improte5 said:
totally off topic and a bit random - your avatar is kicka$$! Is there more to it??

Sorry I don't know, I took it (or did I steal it?) from another person in another forum.

WiL

Oh and thanks!

What league / class are you racing in?

How much is that dash? (I don't want one, I am just curious).

Well, until I change classes, just a stronger bottom end (from mazdaspeed to keep the "stock" title). I want to do a turbo, but in order to do that, it would put me to street modified or prepared, which is probably a little much for my first time out. lol. if anything, until i get it where i want, I may just stay with club racing this year.

Beemer_Killer said:
Well, until I change classes, just a stronger bottom end (from mazdaspeed to keep the "stock" title). I want to do a turbo, but in order to do that, it would put me to street modified or prepared, which is probably a little much for my first time out. lol. if anything, until i get it where i want, I may just stay with club racing this year.

It would be really cool to see what a 300 wheel hp P5 could do on a track.

How do you like your suspension mods you have?

nealric said:
Maybe im misunderstanding, but the MSP engine has the same internals.

I didn't mean the MSP. I mean buying forged rods and pistons that are race ready (9:1 most likely) from the Mazdaspeed catalog from japan, but through corksport.

I would love to do a 300hp project, but at the moment, I have a issue with funding. Since Jan 1, I've invested $17,000 into this car. So, I just have to wait until April, or until I get sponsors enough to afford it.

I am looking for a good 8-12lb turbo system still. Something quiet tho. Unless there is a huge horsepower gain by making the sh*t loud, I don't want it. I like the annonimity of people not knowing me. hehe

Most of the systems (t25's) I've found are anywhere from $2500-$4800. I'm thinking about just piecing it together with fab parts (manifold, downpipe, ect.) and having it tuned to spec. But I come from a carburated v-8 background in racing, and have no clue on how to tune turbos. I guess I'll just have to learn. lol

/\lpha

Latest posts

Back