Awesome crunching sound from the front end when going over bumps..

Inside

I've replaced all my struts, end-links, strut mounts, bushings, and dust covers about a year ago... and now I've developed a brand new awesome crunching sound from the front end when going over bumps. Unfortunately I have no idea what it can possibly be this time... I've checked the engine & mounts (just replaced those too), the battery tray, and shook everything that I could reach and nothing.

(Particularly bad crunch at 35s)

I know it's a bit tough to diagnose from sound alone, but what do you think it could be? I guess it's time to start tossing parts at this damn thing again :p

ball joint or swaybar link maybe you gotta crawl under and take a look thats about the only way to know 100%

Well.. if you guessed a radiator (15-200) that's not secure, you get +10 points!

On the other hand if you guessed shifter linkage you get +10 points!

How about a CV joint rattle? Also +10!

Maybe it's the rear motor mount .. mount that's not screwed? +5 for that.

nP1VbPF.jpg

Also sounds like there is some gear lash in the transmission (and the pads are scraping)..

Crap... I absolutely have no idea what on the radiator rattles. The whole assembly seems to be just floating around in the engine bay. All of the bushings (although they squeak... and the replacement cost is $18/bushing!) and brackets are there (did you know that you can buy aftermarket radiator brackets?!?!), it's just that there's a lot of space between the radiator and the brackets..

I think the previous owners had a fairly serious front-end collision that was never reported - the hood & bumper don't quite align right (which I accepted), but the damage is probably internal as well since now I'm noticing the radiator doesn't sit in there all the way.

Shove some piece of rubber in between the peg and the bushing to tighten it up or get creative with some zip ties to limit it's movement.

Welp, I had some old rubber grommets from when I swapped out the air-filter tray with one from a junkyard - the radiator doesn't rattle by hand anymore but there is still lots of other rattling sounds when the car goes over bumps.

Divide and conquer.....knock them out 1 at a time. Start with whatever is easiest, like getting a nut on the motor mount bolt or screw it in if it has a welded nut. OK, easy to figure out, not so easy to get to. See what that gets ya and go to next thing. I would think that motor mount bolt being loose would be making all kinds of knocking sounds. CV joint could maybe also just be loose bolts on bracket.

Last edited:
I'm getting a bumping sound from the front suspension too, especially going onto ramps/driveways, also speedbumps. all original too, but only 50k miles.

Hi.

I have that crunch too!!! And mines only done 35k!! No accidents though.

Was it the radiator that made the crunch sound? Did ya cure it? ��

Nope.... haven't cured it yet. I put grommets all over the radiator though and it doesn't jiggle anymore when I shake it by hand.

Anyway, I think the crunching came from the front-right end-link. I had just replaced it about 10-15k ago and turns out that it went bad again... I need to take it to my friend's apartment complex tomorrow (that's where I test my suspension because oh my god the size of the speed bumps there) to really make sure, but a drive around all the potholes in my neighborhood didn't produce the crunching.

Back