AWD Protege swap

weelyweels

:
'93 protege lx 5sp
So i have been reading about making an all-wheel drive protege from a 4wd protege and everything i have been reading says that the drivetrain will not hold up to much power..... does anyone know which part/s wont hold up.. doing the swap would include a GT-X or GT-R transaxle so that would hold up.. the rear dif is the same as the GT-X the car is not all that heavy so it will hold up.... that leaves me with the drive shafts and..... well thats all i can think off... so does any one know anything that i am over looking or missing out on?? ohh... is it the mounts for the rear difs... or the drive shaft suports....

thanks for your time
Weelyweels..

I'm no expert, but I have read about this on clubprotege.com, check around there, see if that helps.

As far as i know the never mad an awd protege.... in 90 and 91 they made the 4wd protege but never an awd....

Roywhitep5 said:
might as well just buy an impreza

Im assuming the reason for people doing such things as this is to learn from it, have fun doing it and having a unique car. Im sick of people like you who say stuff like that.

Rism said:
Im assuming the reason for people doing such things as this is to learn from it, have fun doing it and having a unique car. Im sick of people like you who say stuff like that.

go wire some more led's in your gauge cluster.

weelyweels said:
As far as i know the never mad an awd protege.... in 90 and 91 they made the 4wd protege but never an awd....

read what he said... converting... 4wd to awd... duh!

orphman said:
read what he said... converting... 4wd to awd... duh!

no he said "just go buy an awd...."
i am the one converting a 4wd to a awd..... but thanks for the input....

otmsp said:
what?????? (boom01)

Fill me in on what the difference between a 4wd and AWD protege would be. Is the 4wd manual engagement, and the awd all the time? i know wrx's are awd, so the 4 wheels are always gettin power, i would assume that means the 4wd is manual, and you tell it to engage. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

MSP2NV said:
Fill me in on what the difference between a 4wd and AWD protege would be. Is the 4wd manual engagement, and the awd all the time? i know wrx's are awd, so the 4 wheels are always gettin power, i would assume that means the 4wd is manual, and you tell it to engage. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

there is no such thing as a awd protege...well stock aleast... 4wd has a 50/50 torque split as the awd gtx and gtr have a 43/57 rear bias torque split. 4wd normaly has a direct mechanical link to the rearend were as awd is normal equipped w/ viscus cluches in between the drive shaft and transaxle to prevent bineding when driving on pavement which you would get w/ a 4wd on the street........

it can be computer controled as in the subaru STi. i belive it is controled by a computer some how.... the mazda gtx and gt-r do not use any computer to control the awd system

Back