AWD Ms3

Ok, after looking during the weekend, I found a cool pdf document. It explains a lot about the ms6. I suggest, save it.

http://www.3dluvr.com/crossbow/vir/speed6.pdf

Like I said, there are a lot of sensors to try and retrofit in the ms3, so is better to think of something different. The 4WD ECU uses real-time data to manage torque:
PCM: VSS, RPM, TP angle, neutral switch, brake pedal position, selector
lever position
DSC: 4-wheel speed sensors, parking brake switch, ABS activated, steering
wheel angle, brake fluid pressure, back-up light, coupling torque request, yaw
rate, and lateral G-force
Rear Differential: oil temperature.

And for the Volvo s40 setup, I found a couple of pics for the suspension layout, but the pics are for the fwd model. Looking at this pics, the layout is very similar to the ms3, I dare and say, the same? These are ms3 and S40 pics for comparison.

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 209
  • mazdaspeed3_34.jpg
    mazdaspeed3_34.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 183
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 183
  • mazdaspeed3_33.jpg
    mazdaspeed3_33.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Thanks Red! Well, im not willing to go the MS6 ECU route, especially since tuning is going to be the issue. I think we are safer headed down the Axela pipeline.

also keep in mind that the ms6 keep breaking rear-ends and cv joints and what not..... so if you look for parts, try to find upgraded parts rather than stock

also keep in mind that with the AWD axela mazda didnt believe the system would hold up to a turbo and considering that pretty much the only reason for awd is for quick launches, its extra stress on the system

We only need the rear suspension parts from the axela(suspension components and gas tank) to acommodate the rear diff. One of the ms6 problems is that the rear diff. has a lot of movement. A 4.5k to 5k rpm launch + movement from the rear diff mount = snapped axles & broken mount.

I was thinking that those would be the parts I would fab up myself. Fabbing the diff mount would be fairly straightfoward. The diff will probably need an oil cooler. As for the ecu: I think that a seperate controller setup for permanent 50/50 shoulf be simple to make.

Sorry, but I'm a little obsessive about this word. It should be sePARate.
A trick to remember it is that the word par means "an equality in value or standing". So remember the expression "sePARate but equal" from a failed social experiment in this country and you can't go wrong.

While I'm at it, how about guard and gauge? Remember that they are different. Then remember the trick to guard and you will always know both.
"What do you do when you see the guard coming?"
"Get Up And Run Dummy!"

Again, sorry, and I'll get away from the lectern now.

There has to be a way to do it without ECU control, like the OP mentioned, locking it in at 50/50 fulltime should work. There has to be someone here with a Japanese connection to get us some chassis photos or info on the AWD Axela. I don't know anyone anywhere or else I'd have already tried.

Last edited:
My resources are dry as well. No Japanese connections here either. Ive googled the hell out of Axela and come up short. IS there a REAL Axela on ANY of these Mazda forums?

now that you mention it, I don't think I've seen one.... but isnt Antione in japan?? maybe he can check it out

I just send a PM to Antoine asking for any kind of info on the awd axela. Let's see what he can dig for us.

There has to be a way to do it without ECU control, like the OP mentioned, locking it in at 50/50 fulltime should work. There has to be someone here with a Japanese connection to get us some chassis photos or info on the AWD Axela. I don't know anyone anywhere or else I'd have already tried.

I agree, all of the sensors are for determining how much torque to send to the rear wheels. The clutch in the rear diff must just take a voltage value from these to set how "locked" it is, if you can figure out what the max value is then you could send it a constant voltage for fulltime 50/50. It's really too bad that this system has no way of biasing torque to the rear wheels, a 60r/40f split would probably handle much nicer.

Well i drove my buddies MS6. He has a CAI and a Test pipe plus a Forge BPV. I hate to say it, but that thing was a dawg and couldnt keep it from bogging at whichever RPM i launched at. Maybe the car needed more boost. I dont know.. Whats the ratio of the stock MS6 ( 60/40 )?

I agree, all of the sensors are for determining how much torque to send to the rear wheels. The clutch in the rear diff must just take a voltage value from these to set how "locked" it is, if you can figure out what the max value is then you could send it a constant voltage for fulltime 50/50. It's really too bad that this system has no way of biasing torque to the rear wheels, a 60r/40f split would probably handle much nicer.

Exactly, this should be quite simple, just figure out the right voltage. More than 50 to the rear would be awesome.

Well i drove my buddies MS6. He has a CAI and a Test pipe plus a Forge BPV. I hate to say it, but that thing was a dawg and couldnt keep it from bogging at whichever RPM i launched at. Maybe the car needed more boost. I dont know.. Whats the ratio of the stock MS6 ( 60/40 )?

I am not interested in this for launching.lol The 6 is really heavy as well.
That being said an awd 3 would be no lightwieght either.

if u don't want it for launching, then what do u want it for?

As far as I can tell, this is the only reason to want AWD unless u plan to rally race, but I'd buy a wrx for that

if u don't want it for launching, then what do u want it for?

As far as I can tell, this is the only reason to want AWD unless u plan to rally race, but I'd buy a wrx for that

Have you ever used the throttle to to keep oversteer after trailbraking into a corner? If I you are only worried about launching get a camaro.lol.

I just don't know if its a great idea to consider locking it 50/50 then. It puts a LOT of wear and tear on both tires and powertrain on pavement. This was an issue I had with my landrover when I locked the center diff so it split power evenly between front and rear

If all you want is a little oversteer, install a stiffer sway in the rear

Well im sure if anyone of us was worried about tire wear, we would be driving prius's!!

I'd be happy with 50/50. I want a launch monster at full boost.

Back