Avoid- Pirelli P-Zero Nero All Season

The better question is why would you expect an all season M+S tire to perform like a dedicated summer tire in 70+ weather? Its unrealistic to expect the same performance out of an all-season tire. We have 10" of snow here and I had no trouble whatsoever.

I expected it because of advertising material printed by pirelli and the reviews on tire rack.

This tire isn't designed to replace the RE050s or substitute for a set of winter tires without compromise. Face it, they're above average all-seasons. They are not as grippy in the summer and don't do quite as good as Blizzaks (or similar) in the winter, but for the price point and performance, they work well. For an MS6 owner looking to stay on one set of tires (which I don't recommend, but to each his own), they fit nicely for all year performance. Living in MI and running these year round until I bought a second set of wheels & tires, they performed fine and I wasn't disappointed with them one bit.

That said, when they do wear out, I will be going to dedicated winter tires, but that's not a bad thing against the Pirellis. Also, compared to tires like the Yoko YK520, these outperform those by a mile.

i have them on my car. i purchased the car used and do not know how many miles are on them. i drove through 3-4 inches of snow last night without issue

Just got them myself and they are not sticky at all, at speeds of 80-90 the car feels unstable, and getting on and off ramps are not as much fun as when I had on the bridgestone. And I live in South Florida, if you guys are having trouble in the snow and I am not liking it in 70* weather, then personally I don't think it's that good of a tire.

youre absolutely right!! ive tried four different sets of tires for my MS6 and as soon as these were on.. i knew they sucked ass!! i was sliding all over.. they were not stable like maybe too soft?? MY suspicion was these are not really a high enough load rating?? honestly i dont know enough about tires.. but, if anyone recomended these to me again I wouldnt take his advice.. and id straighten him out..

I made the switch to the Goodyear Eagle GT ($600 from goodyear dealer) after the pirelli nightmare.. and those tires are a little cheaper and much nicer with a real sidewall so you dont scratch your rims everywhere.. those are my rec for you..

and yeah theres some opinion involved here.. but, my MOCC club buddy just put those tires on too(pirellis) and he bitched about em right off the bat?? and i didnt prompt him or anything.. he just commented about what crap they were.. and fairly i also thought the stock bridgestone tires sucked too!! especially for the $900 they cost..

also i think the push on these in CA is that pirelli either owns or distributes for Discount tire centers.. cuz thats the only tire they wanted to sell me period..??

This tire isn't designed to replace the RE050s or substitute for a set of winter tires without compromise. Face it, they're above average all-seasons. They are not as grippy in the summer and don't do quite as good as Blizzaks (or similar) in the winter, but for the price point and performance, they work well. For an MS6 owner looking to stay on one set of tires (which I don't recommend, but to each his own), they fit nicely for all year performance. Living in MI and running these year round until I bought a second set of wheels & tires, they performed fine and I wasn't disappointed with them one bit.

That said, when they do wear out, I will be going to dedicated winter tires, but that's not a bad thing against the Pirellis. Also, compared to tires like the Yoko YK520, these outperform those by a mile.

YK520's are half the price as those Pirellis and lasted longer. I had zero problems with them other than straight line acceleration spin. I got through 2 winters and a summer with those and was usually leading the pack. I would run 2 sets of YK520's to one set of those Pirellis any day! that would give me an extra $500+ to do something else with.

How much did you pay for the YK520s? I got the Pirellis for $650 out the door, which doesn't seem bad for an 18" tire.

even in dry weather with awd those tires held almost no traction.. and you guys were happy with these?? i thought the stocks were garbage too!! the goodyear is the closest thing to a performance tire ive see under 1k.. these are the first tires that stuck the F-ing ground.. these tires make the car drive way more like an evo.. and with my recaro seats and harness.. i can now really tell the difference of how hard this car can be pushed..

and the goodyears were like $600 even installed and theyve already outlasted all other sets so far.. i was getting about 15k for bridgestone and i got about 12k from the pirellis.. the goodyear should go at least 30k

Last edited:
The Potenza RE050As were awesome tires, just not in cold weather. They wore quickly, and if they weren't so damn expensive, I'd have them on my summer wheels right now.

The PZeros are good tires. It's just the nature of the beast. Some like them, some hate them.

have you tried the goodyears yet?? its a world of difference.. the traction is much better than the bridgestones... much better.. and honestly i though those were ok too.. until i switched..

For those replying to this thread, keep in mind that the P Zero Nero M&S is a different tire than the P Zero Nero All Season

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=PZero+Nero+All+Season
pi_pzero_nero_as_ci2_l.jpg

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=PZero+Nero+M%26S
pi_p_zero_nero_ms_ci2_l.jpg

There's also the M&S Pinna, which was made in 215/45/18 for Mazda specifically.

I'm speaking specifically about the first set posted (same title as the thread).

Right - some responders were just saying "I have the p-zeros and..."

the pirellis were so bad.. i wont even comment again.. due to my experiences.. i would never try any pirelli again.. it was money in the toilet.. i forget the model # but, if theres a price issue these were $650 for my set..

and my main comment was mostly about how much better the goodyears are than even the fancy bridgestones.. and at $300 less theyre a MUCH, MUCH better deal.. and they outperform by far.. IMO.. and like i said im harnessed in now with recaros and takatas, and can really push the s*** out of this car!! i wish i had these harnessess before so i could make a more direct comparison.. oh well..

See, that's the great part about this, everyone is going to have different experiences.

My personal feelings on the OEM Potenza's are that they are awesome tires for spirited driving. Doing some fun runs and autocross on them, they were fantastic, but for the price, I won't be going back to them any time soon.

The Pirelli's I got for a decent price, and wanted something that would have been my only set of tires all year. I've got about 20k on them, and driven them on our fun runs, which they don't do anywhere near as well as the Potenza's on, but for highway driving and winter, they do just fine.

I've heard mostly good things about the Eagle GTs, and the YK520s are on our Millenia right now, and work fine. I wouldn't push them like the Potenza's at all though.

Like I said before, you can NOT compare an all-season tire to a summer/performance tire. No matter what anyone says, you won't get the grip from the AS tires that the summers will give you, but you sacrifice treadwear as a result.

Tire Rack is a great resource, but you really have to look at the reviews and quantify them. If it's on a car similar to ours, then it might be worth the read. Putting something on a Camry and an MS6, the outcomes will be different.

I would take the Potenzas over ANY Goodyear made to date, hands down. The Pirellis I have seen around are a great tire, I dont know which ones some of you have had but you must have gotten a bad batch!

Steve, I got the YK's for $65 a tire installed. I am running the Kuhmo Ecsta ASX's and love them!

I'm a firm believer inyou get what you pay for, and the bridgestone was really good in my opinion, the Pirelli is probably a great tire but in my opinion it's not the best tire for our car. The ride quality is not that bad but when it comes to sticking to the pavement it's not the best tire.

If you are looking for performance then dont buy an A/S tire regardless of its rating. Buy a dedicated snow/winter tire and a dedicated Ultra High Performance Summer tire. Then you get the best of both worlds no matter the season! I dont run A/S tires thinking they will perform like Summer tires in the summer and like Winter tires in the Winter. It is a happy medium with the sacrafice being what may matter most to you when it counts.

If you are looking for performance then dont buy an A/S tire regardless of its rating. Buy a dedicated snow/winter tire and a dedicated Ultra High Performance Summer tire. Then you get the best of both worlds no matter the season! I dont run A/S tires thinking they will perform like Summer tires in the summer and like Winter tires in the Winter. It is a happy medium with the sacrafice being what may matter most to you when it counts.

Exactly.

Back