Average MPG - 1st 1k miles on '17 CX-5 FWD Touring

justdeb__

:
2017 CX-5
I'm coming up on my first 1k miles on my new CX-5 and wanted to report my average MPG and wanted to see what everyone else is averaging. I seem to think mine is quite, well, average (uhm)

I commute roughly 50 miles roundtrip per day for work, 60% city streets, 40% fwy. I'm sitting in traffic perhaps 10-20% of the time I'm on the fwy -- I live in LA. I can't seem to break 25mpg. I'm sitting at 24.4mpg according to my dash.

Thoughts? Comments?

On daily bases I drive about 20 miles a day with about 50% highway drive and get around 24 mpg.
Two weeks ago I drove 800 miles over the weekend, on highways and pretty empty roads, and was able to get 31mpg. I was using the cruise control a lot and a laid back driving.

Before the long drive my dash estimator showed an average of around 24mpg, after the long drive it jumped to about 27mpg.

Measurements taken by filling a full tank, resetting the milage counter and refueling when left with about 1/4 tank.
2017 Mazda cx 5 awd with a 2.5l engine

Last edited:
I'm coming up on my first 1k miles on my new CX-5 and wanted to report my average MPG and wanted to see what everyone else is averaging. I seem to think mine is quite, well, average (uhm)

I commute roughly 50 miles roundtrip per day for work, 60% city streets, 40% fwy. I'm sitting in traffic perhaps 10-20% of the time I'm on the fwy -- I live in LA. I can't seem to break 25mpg. I'm sitting at 24.4mpg according to my dash.

Thoughts? Comments?
Sounds similar to what I get on our 2016 CX-5 FWD. The CX-5 can get really good overall fuel economy in city driving if you can minimize the time you are stopped at the lights. In my case, I'm not really able to increase my fuel economy in highway driving unless I drive on the highway a long time. For instance, I would be at maybe 18 average mpg before I get on the highway, then when I get off I'm going to be around 23-25 average mpg maybe. It is the last leg of my drive, on city roads where I make or break my average mpg for the day. If I can time it correctly and not get stopped at lights that much, I can get my average mpg up to 27-28 before I get home. Otherwise it just stays at 24-25 average mpg.

Lately, I've been driving in manual mode and have been upshifting as fast as possible to try to get the best mpg. I haven't filled up yet, but I think I am doing better on this tank of gas than when driving in automatic mode.

Thoughts? Comments?

Have you tried measuring at the pump?

Have you reset the MPG average yet? I reset mine every time I fill up. I also reset the AVG speed too each time we refill.

I've been using fuelly and it's showing 18.4 mpg. Even worse than the in dash. My commute is crazy short. About 15-20 min of bumper to bumper so I expect it to be bad.

Have you reset the MPG average yet? I reset mine every time I fill up. I also reset the AVG speed too each time we refill.

Not yet, but those are good suggestions. I should be filling up soon so I'll measure it next time and also reset everything.

For the 1st tank my 2017 Touring is getting right at 25mpg - includes more miles on the highway than in town.

In watching the mpg current consumption rate I notice that the car wants to leap when you step on it and the mpg rate plunges instantly. It appears that the mpg is quite sensitive to one's driving style.

Approaching my first 500 miles and averaging about 27.1MPG in combined driving. Have gone through the factory tank and about 1/4 of a tank of Costco 87 so far.

Approaching my first 500 miles and averaging about 27.1MPG in combined driving. Have gone through the factory tank and about 1/4 of a tank of Costco 87 so far.

2017 Sport AWD
650 miles here .. and I gas up @ Costco 87 octane ...
currently 23-24 mpg with 70% city and 30% Hwy

If anything I've changed recently for better MPG was
NOT using AC and instead open the windows while in the city.

So....one person is getting advertised mileage in this thread, so far, at 1.1mpg over advertised combined. Everyone else has failed to meet EPA averages.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2017_Mazda_CX-5.shtml

Really not sure why. Something must be off with the 17 or something. Previous year CX5s, just about everyone(except you lol and a couple others maybe) were getting above EPA combined average. I know I am. Everyone is expecting the mpg to jump up as they work their car in. I fail to see that happening. New cars are pretty efficient from the start. At least that has been my experience. My 16 was achieving average of 27mpg+ out of the gate and still is. Through summers and winters. About 65/35 city(suburbs)/hwy.

The gas mileage will get better as the car breaks in. Expect a 1-3 MPG increase after about 3-5K miles. I went from an average of 23-24 MPG to 26 MPG after 5K miles. Check Fuelly and you will see this is common.

28.3 last tank..but i see little to no traffic and often drive with the extreme bottom end of the powerband (14-1800 where she's a beast and silky smooth) on 40-50% suburban back roads..the 17 may not be as easy to do that in as they made the throttle more responsive which im sure means more eager kick downs and worse fe. To me that's a fail of the 17..feels quicker but isn't when you need max thrust thanks to hyperactive throttle sensitivity. Many will disagree and that's fine.

Sky's ability to do work is what sold me not its ability to do work fast..layman's terms for torque and hp, respectively

This. Just going by the instruments AVG MPG when I bought my 2014, it took it a while for that number to go up. You're MPG is likely better than you think it is just going off of this if it's never been reset.

OP Get past the break in period. It will increase. Okay that did not come out right.

Back