Auto Wipers--How Well Do Yours Work?

tex2670

Grand Poobah
I got caught in my 1st heavy rain storm since buying my CX-9 GT in March. I was disappointed in the rain sensing wipers--they didn't really pickup enough speed when it started raining really hard--and I mean heavy thunderstorm while on the highway. I was disappointed. The rain sensing wipers on my other car work much better in heavy rain.

Others have this issue? Or maybe there's a TSIB?

My CX-9 doesn't have them but I've never really been impressed by these systems on other cars. It's not that they don't work. It's just that turning on and adjusting the wipers was never that much of a bother. Sure it takes some fiddling when rain intensity changes but the result is you get the wipers moving at the exact speed you want, not at the speed the sensors think you want. I'm willing to put in that extra effort to get exactly what I want on my windshield.

After sensitivity adjustment (did only once), I love the rain sensing wiper.
The only downside is that the sensor is glued to the windshield. You can't buy non-OE windshields from
local vendors.

After sensitivity adjustment (did only once), I love the rain sensing wiper.
The only downside is that the sensor is glued to the windshield. You can't buy non-OE windshields from
local vendors.

Yes-- I adjusted the sensitivity, and have not had a reset.

Only complaint I have is that they come on sometimes it comes on when there is no rain....

Wipers on my '10 9 work great, but it's not good on my '10 3.
If I got huge splash from a semi next to me, it wipes at max speed.
The sensor in the 9 is more better than in the 3 I guess, or may be something wrong with the 3.

I have never heard about adjusting the sensitivity or reseting the auto wipers. How is this done?

Mine also do not function as they should, and since the only alternative is steady on medium or high ... not so good. Would love the reset info (could not find anything in the manual), tho I will still take it in to the dealer. I notice the auto-on lights also seem to need attention.

I'm suspecting both my problems are due to having had the windshield replaced and the mirror-camera installed ... that would beat the alternative of them just being poorly performing systems, for sure! But my lights are undersensitive at this point, and seem inconsistent.

VA's law is that lights must be on when wipers are, and that's gonna require remembering to turn the lights on/off for me, as well ...

VA's law is that lights must be on when wipers are, and that's gonna require remembering to turn the lights on/off for me, as well ...

We have that law here in CA, but no one seems to care....

In my case the sensitivity adjustment doesn't do anything. I still have original OEM windshield and sensors. Can someone post an instruction how to perform the reset?

I am not aware of any reset other than pulling the battery terminal and wait for 30 seconds (to drain all residual charges).
However, that will wipe out any preset stations etc. Also, the window auto up/down...

Just wanted to post a followup ... finally took mine in to the dealer, they reflashed, and the difference is dramatic - windshield wipers that work and adjust appropriately! Despite the annoying implication that the issue was user error, whatever they reset has made all the difference. Previously, adjusting the sensitivity on the stick did not change the performance of the wipers, which ignored everything from intermittent rain to deluges after swishing once to indicate they were on.

I did not try ceric's battery terminal reset, and couldn't find any other options out there - but something was definitely outta whack that is now resolved. Thanks to all who chimed in -it was helpful to know that my experience was not normal - hope OP's problem has also been solved.

Back