Auto Tranny Fluid

i thought you were supposed to drop the pan because you need to change the filter and clean the magnet inside.

MP5cd said:
For yor next engine oil change trybuying magnetic oil drain plug.
Where do you find them? Dealership doesn't carry them, and I want to try to find one before I do the flush.

Mad Hatter said:
If you have the money to let a shop do it, by all means have the shop do it. But if you think for 1 minute the new fluid and old fluid dont mix at all, you'd better think again. It's not like they drain all of the old fluid out and put the new in. Maybe they can get a little more of the old stuff out, but the fact is the s*** still mixes.
Synthetic Trany and reg Dexron 3 do not mix.

hoindawall said:
i thought you were supposed to drop the pan because you need to change the filter and clean the magnet inside.
No filter and drain plug should be magnetic.There is no internal magnet like Chevy.

MP5cd said:
No filter and drain plug should be magnetic.
Any clue where to find a magnetic plug? I got one for the oil pan but I can't seem to track down one for the transmission, and I'd like to get that replaced if possible.

Update on the flush situation....

I decided to let the dealer do the flush, they said they would only charge $40 so I dont think that's too bad. I picked up 8qts of Mobil1 Synthetic for another $40, otherwise Redline would've put me up to about $70, so it puts me up to a total of $80 with labor & synthetic fluid ... not bad in my opinion.

KrayzieFox said:
Any clue where to find a magnetic plug? I got one for the oil pan but I can't seem to track down one for the transmission, and I'd like to get that replaced if possible.

Update on the flush situation....

I decided to let the dealer do the flush, they said they would only charge $40 so I dont think that's too bad. I picked up 8qts of Mobil1 Synthetic for another $40, otherwise Redline would've put me up to about $70, so it puts me up to a total of $80 with labor & synthetic fluid ... not bad in my opinion.
Good deal, i prefer Mobile 1.Redline is a little overpriced if you ask me.You can get drain plug at most autosupply stores.I believe it was the same as oilpan drain plug.

I checked at all my local auto part stores, none of them had any transmission drain plugs at all. I did manage to find one for the oil pan but no luck on the tranny. I guess I'll have to keep lookin ... if anyone finds one online somewhere please post the link. Thanks!

Back