Auto Tranny Fluid

KrayzieFox

:
01 MP3 Turbo
I did a search a couple times and I couldn't find a definite answer as to what kind of fluid works best? I know our cars use Dexron III but I'm trying to debate between Mobil1 or Redline. I hit 30K and I want to flush it but I'm not gonna have it hooked up to one of those vacuum machines or anything .. I plan on just draining and refilling the fluid so would it still be worth it to spend the extra money and get Redline or Mobil1 or just go with something generic?

Also, I think I read that the capacity is 7.6 qts ... can anyone verify that?

you have to hook up to vac machine for first, will take out 100%.Doing pan way only just litres.Do pan way after that.I do Mobile1 lovely stuff.

The how-to doesn't really mention anything about a vac machine. Is it required or would I be just as safe doing it the way the how-to describes it?

KrayzieFox said:
The how-to doesn't really mention anything about a vac machine. Is it required or would I be just as safe doing it the way the how-to describes it?

No vac machine needed in the how-to. (thumb)

I used Amsoil ATF, works great. Had Turfburn help me do the change. Was nice because he and Mad Hatter pretty much wrote that howto :)
Thanks for that Chris!

yes with vac. torque con also.Amsoil would be my 1st choice.i would only do vac for 1st time,especialy if changing to synthetic from reg. Atf.Do pan method (how-to)after that.Every 24000.For yor next engine oil change trybuying magnetic oil drain plug.

you don't need a damn vac to do the torque converter
and changing tranny fluid every 24k miles is pretty often, especially if you use synthetic

mogi said:
you don't need a damn vac to do the torque converter
and changing tranny fluid every 24k miles is pretty often, especially if you use synthetic

(mswerd)

Just follow the how to. Save yourself a ton of money.

I feel the 20.00 to have the lube place suck my amsoil up in their machine to maximize the total (90 - 95%) swap to synthetic was well worth it. I will probably do the how-to 60k down the road from now to change out with fresh synthetic. IMO it was just worth the 20 spot to not deal with it & also avoid any possible mess in the garage since I got to hang right there with the dude doing it. By far the cost of the oil is the expensive part, also the reason it was good to hang with tech to make sure my oil went into my car. Having synthetic is the most important thing, however it gets in.

it is not a vac . machine anyways.It is hooked up to your transmision cooler lines.one line feeds trany cooler the other is a return line.You must have car started to use the presure from the torgue converter.Insteed of going to cooler it now feeds a large cylinder(vac) top section.As old fliud enters it pushes new fluid in ,seperate compantments.
This is only way to drain converter, so yes you doo need vac to retrieve 90 to 95%.
Ever 24000 , 1 per year ,how to method $60 Mobil 1.Rather do to much, soon running ,automatic running 210 - 230 whp.Real close to exploding.In Canada Mr.Lube does good job, $100 Mobile 1.

Last edited:
Yes it's not a vacuum but it does suck up the new oil before hooking up to trans lines like you said & it did the oem cooler as well as the extra transaver fluid cooler that was added. All good, everybody go get some...........

Go to a shop and have them use a transmission flush machine. so you get all of the old
fluid out of the transmission

i12drivemyMP5 said:
I feel the 20.00 to have the lube place suck my amsoil up in their machine to maximize the total (90 - 95%) swap to synthetic was well worth it.
If I could find any place that would do that for that price I would do it in a heart beat! The cheapest I found was $107 and I would still have to buy all the fluid! If I can drain the torque converter by following the how-to then that's what I'll end up doing. Who's all done it following the how-to and does it or does it not drain the torque converter? I see there's mixed reports so I want to get this straightened out before I start buying fluid. Thank you all for your responses.

I have followed the tutorial and yes, it does take care of the torque converter. By disconnecting the fluid line and following the howto, turning the car on/off, putting more fluid in until you see the fresh fluid coming out (you'll see a huge color difference), you know it is cleaning out the torque conv.)

If you have the money to let a shop do it, by all means have the shop do it. But if you think for 1 minute the new fluid and old fluid dont mix at all, you'd better think again. It's not like they drain all of the old fluid out and put the new in. Maybe they can get a little more of the old stuff out, but the fact is the s*** still mixes.

Back