Auto or Stick?

But would you throw a MTX into 1st gear while driving normally? NO!!!

I disagree with this philosophy. Why shorten the length of the engine/transmission of your vehicle?

Just because there is not a safeguard against it, does not mean you have to do it, or that the vehicle was actually made for it.

Last edited:
Mazdaspeed6S said:
But would you throw a MTX into 1st gear while driving normally? NO!!!

I disagree with this philosophy. Why shorten the length of the engine/transmission of your vehicle?

Just because there is not a safeguard against it, does not mean you have to do it, or that the vehicle was actually made for it.
I would not "throw" a manual trans into 1st gear while driving. If I were going slow enough to want first gear, but not stopped, I'd double clutch and put it into first while still rolling, no problem. I do the same thing with the ATX below 15 mph, if I want 1st, I shift it down and smoothly apply just a little throttle. Goes in smooth as silk, with no clunk or jerk whatsoever. What do you mean there's no safeguard? If the car is going to fast to downshift into any gear, it won't. It just blinks the gear indicator at you. I still say that if this was so bad for the car, mazda would recommend against it.... and they don't. But hey, it's just my opinion.

Sorry if I'm late on this post,

but MANUAL FOR LIFE

Your totally in more control of your car, it costs less to fix/replace a manual tranny, you'll know how to drive any car regardless of transmission, double clutching/heel to toe/rev matching is just plain fun as well as useful

I drive an AE86 as well and nothing is more cool than turning the car with throttle bwahaha try THAT in an automatic

No reason you should get an automatic unless
1) you have only one leg or have one good leg.
2) you eat/talk on the cell/and do other stupid things while you drive and you really shouldnt!
3) your no good at driving

Putting a car in first while you are driving slow is not bad for the transmission, I did it all the time in the Camaro I had.

MSP Bros. said:

but MANUAL FOR LIFE

Your totally in more control of your car, it costs less to fix/replace a manual tranny, you'll know how to drive any car regardless of transmission, double clutching/heel to toe/rev matching is just plain fun as well as useful

I drive an AE86 as well and nothing is more cool than turning the car with throttle bwahaha try THAT in an automatic

2) you eat/talk on the cell/and do other stupid things while you drive and you really shouldnt!
The reason I have an ATX is the same as Mazdaspeed6s's. If we had spent that much money on a car that our wives couldn't drive too, we'd be sleeping in our cars. It's her car too, and she deserves to have an automatic. I jam a 10 spd Road Ranger tranny in a Mack cabover for a living, and rest assured that I know how to drive. I know all about heel and toe and double clutching. It's quite possible that I was doing this stuff before you ever had a driver's license. I don't drive and eat or talk on the phone at the same time, I'm too busy shredding. And I guarantee you that I can steer her with the rear wheels, that's what the E-brake lever is for. However, with enough horsepower and rear wheel drive, an automatic will steer the rear quite easily. People did it for years, long before front wheel drive became a household word. As far as I can see, the only real world difference between the ATX and the MTX is that with the MTX, you HAVE to shift and clutch, you don't have any choice. It's awful nice to be able to just put it in Drive when you're stuck in a traffic jam. Having said that, if I was not married, or was buying another car just for myself (like an RX-8 or a 350Z) it would MOST definitely have the 6spd manual...just because. (drive)

thrlride said:
Putting a car in first while you are driving slow is not bad for the transmission, I did it all the time in the Camaro I had.

Exactly! Driving slow is fine, but I am interpreting them shifting to 1st going faster...

MSP Bros. said:

but MANUAL FOR LIFE

You forgot #4:

4) Your wife will make you live in the car.

That's my reason, #4. ;)

Other than that, unless you are stuck in traffic all day, then MTX is the way to go.

Mazdaspeed6S said:
Completely personal opinion more than anything. Test drive both. Or you could get the 5Speed Sportmatic. Best of both worlds.

Kind of...

If you hate the clutch...

But who hates the clutch?

Well, the best of both worlds if you like Automatics. :)

Who hate the clutch?

Someone like me during the time everyday in the moring driving my wife to work at downtown Seattle and then back home, and at evening driving her back from her downtown office during rush hour.

misbehave said:
Who hate the clutch?

Someone like me during the time everyday in the moring driving my wife to work at downtown Seattle and then back home, and at evening driving her back from her downtown office during rush hour.

True. If you do alot of traffic, autos are sooo much easier.

Am I the only one who still enjoys driving stick, EVEN in traffic??

I'll admit that it does get a LITTLE annoying in traffic, but I would NEVER give up stick to an auto....

I guess I'm the only one? I'm sure there has GOT to be others like me LOL

i decided between my mazda6i stick or auto because of the $800-$900 price difference and the fact that the stick version gets 25mpg(city)-32mpg(highway) vs. 23mpg(city)-29mpg(highway)
and stick has ABSOLUTE control of the car...

hope u make the RIGHT decision!

tell the man to listen to cake for god's sake
"stick shifts and bucket seats"
i mean thats what its all about hehe.
although i do understand that if i had ohh say a Lexus RX300 i wouldnt really want a manual transmission. it depends on if he actually wants to drive the car or not.

Minus said:
tell the man to listen to cake for god's sake
"stick shifts and bucket seats"
i mean thats what its all about hehe.
although i do understand that if i had ohh say a Lexus RX300 i wouldnt really want a manual transmission. it depends on if he actually wants to drive the car or not.

You monkeys are missing the point entirely. Read the previous posts...Those of us that are defending the ATX are not doing so in preference to the stick, but just because it's very good as far as automatics go. We love driving a stick as much as the next goon, but chose the ATX out of consideration for our better halfs. Personally, I could care less whether or not any of you LIKE the ATX. I have one, and like it, and that's all that matters to me. And if you think I don't actually want or like to drive the car, I invite you to come for a ride with me. The only thing I ask is that you don't whine,cry, or scream to be let out, and that you bring an extra pair of shorts.... you'll need 'em.(drive)

Highway Star said:
You monkeys are missing the point entirely. Read the previous posts...Those of us that are defending the ATX are not doing so in preference to the stick, but just because it's very good as far as automatics go. We love driving a stick as much as the next goon, but chose the ATX out of consideration for our better halfs. Personally, I could care less whether or not any of you LIKE the ATX. I have one, and like it, and that's all that matters to me. And if you think I don't actually want or like to drive the car, I invite you to come for a ride with me. The only thing I ask is that you don't whine,cry, or scream to be let out, and that you bring an extra pair of shorts.... you'll need 'em.(drive)

(lol) That is funnier than hell! BTW, my thoughts exactly!

well you see im 18... so people like me dont have to deal with the "better half" issue haha
i drive a manual because i like the feeling of total control over the car.

Minus said:
well you see im 18... so people like me dont have to deal with the "better half" issue haha
i drive a manual because i like the feeling of total control over the car.

18 years old? You don't even have control of your hormones yet, let alone your car! I was power-shifting, using the "heel & toe" technique, and ripping apexes in a screaming 4-wheel drift when you were still a stain in your daddy's shorts! Control indeed! (lol)

if your such a great drifter, then why are you driving an automatic protege....
considering that you don't know me at all i find your comments out of place.
me being 6'1 190 pounds i think i have all the hormones needed right here.
what a ******* dousche

theres nothing more irritating than someone in their mid life crisis talking s*** to younger people... i guess it makes you "groovy" hah

Minus said:
if your such a great drifter, then why are you driving an automatic protege....
considering that you don't know me at all i find your comments out of place.
me being 6'1 190 pounds i think i have all the hormones needed right here.
what a ******* dousche

(sigh)....Minus, my mang, first of all, take a pill, ok? If you look back to your original post on this subject, it seems to me that YOU were the first one to make the derogatory/wise-ass comments about whether or not somebody "actually wants to drive the car or not..." Just because somebody answers you back with comments of the same type doesn't give you the right to get your knickers in a bunch and act all pissy.
My ride is a Mazda6s, not a Protege. You don't know me either, but I'll tell you what, I go 6' @ 250 lbs and have beaten down enough people your size to right a book about it, and somehow, I doubt that you're any tougher than any of them were, so just take your hormones and put them some place safe so you don't hurt yourself.
The only thing worse than an old fart talking s***, is a little piss-ant that can't even buy his own beer talking s*** to older folks because he thinks he's really something now that he has a job at the grocery store, bought a car, has to shave more than twice a month, and can legally vote.
To be fair, I'm sure that I mistook your comments as a dig, for that I apologize. In all truthfullness, most of my wildest driving was done with a manual trans, when I was, ohhhhhh... right about your age. That's when you're in your driving prime, IMHO, bewteen 17 and 22 years old. I'm only 37, but I can already tell that my reflexes are starting to slow a little, and adreneline gives me as much heartburn as it does excitement. I'm sure I could probably still drive circles around you though.
My apologies for any offense I caused you, it was meant good-naturedly,.... for the most part......piss-ant (piss)

Last edited:
Back