Auto or Stick?

I really didn't mind driving stick either, even in the city! The only problem was that after a while my foot would get a little tired (i.e. in traffic). But that was rare...

My wife has the 5 speed auto and it shifts so slowly. I a person can't shift a manual faster than this auto then they need some lessons. I find the manual mode almost worthless because you have to move the stick about 1000 rpm before you want it to shift if you are driving aggresively. Just my opinion

I also vote for manual transmission. But you really do have to consider the primary driving conditions you will be experiencing. A long daily commute with endless stop-and-go traffic or lots of driving in hilly cities like San Francisco where you have to come to a stop at a steep incline - both situations would make an automatic desirable.

I love my manual transmission but if your brother is always in traffic, then tell him to get an automatic. Just my 2 cents!!!

thrlride said:
I find the manual mode almost worthless because you have to move the stick about 1000 rpm before you want it to shift if you are driving aggresively. Just my opinion

I don't know about a 1000rpm, you'd need to have the pedal to the floor if you're pushing it that hard. I used the manual gate on the 6 I had at RIU and I use it infrequently on my P5 and it does what it's designed to do... control the shift point.

For example, I can downshift going into a turn or up a hill. I certainly wouldn't classify it as an alternative to a manual transmission. Not to mention the downshift to 1st at any speed over 8-10mph gives you whiplash.

I find a shifting point of 5500rpm to be desirable so the next gear is at my powerband (4000rpm) and would imagine this to hold true for the 6 as well... allowing 1300-1700rpm over the next gear.

LOL! We usually let it shift itself back into first due to whiplash. It is good if you want to keep the rpms, I just think it shifts a little too slowly.

Forgive my forwardness, being a newbie and all, but I felt it my duty to (ahem), "stick up" for the automatic. I have a 6s w/ the 5spd ATX, and have found that if you do it right, this tranny can be made to feel and behave very much like a manual. It's all a matter of throttle timing. If you wind up to your desired shift point, shift, let off the throttle and then hit it again, the thing shifts instantly. When downshifting, move the lever,and then give it a little blip on the throttle. When done right, you can even do the dreaded downshift into first at 10 mph nice and smooth like. Don't get me wrong, I love manual transmissions. Always have, always will. But the more I drive this 5spd ATX, the more I like it. The benefit of being able to just pop it into drive in a traffic jam is priceless,IMHO. Another example is when you need more power than you originally thought, like when merging onto the highway, instead of having to let off, downshift, and then get on it again, you can just leave it floored and stuff it down another gear. Even during a drag race, the manual can be hard to launch without tire spin and wheel hop, whereas the ATX can be loaded up against the brake and get a good launch without all the drama.
Having said all this, the reason I got the ATX was because my wife insisted on it, and it's her car too :rolleyes: . Don't be scared of the ATX because you think it won't be any fun, and is nothing like the manual. Come for a ride with me, and I'll show you what this ATX can do (wrc) sorry for the long-winded initial post.

Highway Star said:
Forgive my forwardness, being a newbie and all, but I felt it my duty to (ahem), "stick up" for the automatic. I have a 6s w/ the 5spd ATX, and have found that if you do it right, this tranny can be made to feel and behave very much like a manual. It's all a matter of throttle timing. If you wind up to your desired shift point, shift, let off the throttle and then hit it again, the thing shifts instantly. When downshifting, move the lever,and then give it a little blip on the throttle. When done right, you can even do the dreaded downshift into first at 10 mph nice and smooth like. Don't get me wrong, I love manual transmissions. Always have, always will. But the more I drive this 5spd ATX, the more I like it. The benefit of being able to just pop it into drive in a traffic jam is priceless,IMHO. Another example is when you need more power than you originally thought, like when merging onto the highway, instead of having to let off, downshift, and then get on it again, you can just leave it floored and stuff it down another gear. Even during a drag race, the manual can be hard to launch without tire spin and wheel hop, whereas the ATX can be loaded up against the brake and get a good launch without all the drama.
Having said all this, the reason I got the ATX was because my wife insisted on it, and it's her car too :rolleyes: . Don't be scared of the ATX because you think it won't be any fun, and is nothing like the manual. Come for a ride with me, and I'll show you what this ATX can do (wrc) sorry for the long-winded initial post.

Thanks for stickin' up for it. I defend constantly as well. ;) I got the Auto for the same reason. I think we all did, whether or not we will admit it. The response of mine is pretty accurate, and I have yet to feel the need to remove my foot out of the throttle when shifting manually. I have never felt the need to shift it into 1st, even below 10 mph. I will throw it into 2nd, get on it, and go. 2nd gear has PLENTY has plenty gearing to get up and go below 10 mph. I am going to switch to synthetic transmission fluid (Redline) once, and supposedly that will help with the manual shifting. I will post a full report once that happens. No need to apologize for the long post, welcome to the board!!

hey that was very descriptive and helpful...I think I use the manual mode mostly to downshift and save wear and tear on the BRAKES which leave that daily black dust...I would like to go for a ride with you though to show just how it can be used like you say....I'm finding myself useing it more and more ....I just need to remember when I've shoved it over...tried passing once and was stuck in 3rd gear wondering where my power was!

Sorry for the late post, I've decided on manual transmission!.

I bought a black M6i with appearance package and the spoiler. Nothing fancy because I want to leave some room for modification later. (also for financial reason)

I really appreciate for all the input, I test drove an auto, but it felt just like any other mid-size sedan car, I also had some difficult time managaing when to shift with the ATX (maybe i just didn't test drive it long enough). Another reason that I did not want the ATX was because with my budget, the ATX only comes with 4-speed. Again, thanks for all the input, i've learned a lot, and with your sincere opinions, it definitely gave me a very good lead in choosing the tranny.

here's my car!

M6i07.jpg

M6i06.jpg

M6i05.jpg

M6i04.jpg

M6i03.jpg

M6i02.jpg

M6i01.jpg

Last edited:
"I think I use the manual mode mostly to downshift and save wear and tear on the BRAKES which leave that daily black dust..."

Ooooooooo I hates that brake dust. It's almost as bad as the speed limiter (argh)

mason448 said:
hey that was very descriptive and helpful...I think I use the manual mode mostly to downshift and save wear and tear on the BRAKES which leave that daily black dust...I would like to go for a ride with you though to show just how it can be used like you say....I'm finding myself useing it more and more ....I just need to remember when I've shoved it over...tried passing once and was stuck in 3rd gear wondering where my power was!

Brake pads and cleaning the wheels are alot cheaper than a transmission!!

the extra grand or so you'd spend with an auto. just get a base model 6s manual. i think the price diffrence from 6i to 6s similarly modded is 1300.

u get power seat. much more power/torque/16's stock/climate control/abs etc...all for "300" some odd dollars

You guys sticking up for ATX's must not realize (or just don't care) that your tranny is eating up more power than mtx's. So if you want the most out of your engine and your car, an MTX is a necessity.

MazdaProbeGT said:
You guys sticking up for ATX's must not realize (or just don't care) that your tranny is eating up more power than mtx's. So if you want the most out of your engine and your car, an MTX is a necessity.

Damn those torque converters!!:D

MazdaProbeGT said:

I think we both realize and care that the Auto does this. I think it is just a fact of life that sometimes we have to make due with what we have, and after all, my wife would be pissed if we spent this much money on the car and she couldn't drive it.

Mazdaspeed6S said:
Brake pads and cleaning the wheels are alot cheaper than a transmission!!
While this statement is completely true, I find it VERY hard to believe that Mazda would give us the option of shifting our non-sporting, power robbing, over-priced, girlie-foo-foo ATX's if they thought that it was going to be detrimental to the trans. Warranty and all that. They put the manual shifter there for a reason... to use it.

Back