Auto or Manual?

I used to drive manuals for so many years. These days I prefer the automatics.

I agree the manual is more fun to drive. And I think this is the only reason why one would want a manual.

additional cost on automatics is justified when you consider that you are paying for a 'system that takes care of the gearing'
so you can focus on the driving (and other driver distractions in todays vehicles).

Last edited:
Also I'm not convinced that the AT gets better highway mileage..
My expectation is that you are comfortable travelling at a speed that is designed to extract maximum fuel economy from your 5, auto or manual, 4 or 5 speed. However, drive the 4 speed auto at TYPICAL highway speeds, and it likely returns the poorest mileage; next up would be the manual, and finally, the 5 speed auto returning the best overall highway mileage at average speeds. (IMO)

My expectation is that you are comfortable travelling at a speed that is designed to extract maximum fuel economy from your 5, auto or manual, 4 or 5 speed. However, drive the 4 speed auto at TYPICAL highway speeds, and it likely returns the poorest mileage; next up would be the manual, and finally, the 5 speed auto returning the best overall highway mileage at average speeds. (IMO)

Let's not fight guys. Someone above mentioned that EPA highway speeds are 48 mph. At that speed, I believe the MT is most likely more efficient. But at 75 mph, the lockup 5AT will not suffer any slippage, and I have no doubt the rpms will be lower and therefore will save gas over the 5MT. Of course probably at least 90% of the MZ5's global market has speed limits that max out at 65 mph or lower, so generally, the MT will be more efficient in most driving scenerios for most buyers. Just not us out here in AZ.

I have a feeling we've had this conversation before...

I think it comes down to personal preference. I drove a MT the first 22 years of my driving life but then I switch over to an AT. Yes, MT are a fun to drive and yes they save a bit on mileage (but I'd say the savings are way overblown). And yes you feel more maucho telling people that you drive a MT (I find most guys like boasting that they drive a MT...) But it depends on your driving environment and personality.

Here in Los Angeles I began to hate driving a MT on the freeways in stop-n-go traffic. I went with an AT and never regretted it. The modern ATs have come a long way. But I would say that MT still are superior in inclement weather.
ATs also are alot easier to sell used. It took me forever to find a buyer for my old MT 626. About 75% of the calls asked if it was an AT.

Last edited:
I have a feeling we've had this conversation before...

I think so too.. about 2 yrs ago there was this thread with a poll AT or MT. There also was a thread/poll about your mazda5's color, and also if mazda5 owners are male or female.....

manual
i test drove a 5-speed 2010 mazda5 and fell in love with it....the banks just didn't fall in love with me :(
thing chirps tires in 3rd!
talk about mad torque

loved it

although it is a van, when i drove it dind't feel like one
wife and i loved it...too bad we couldn't take it home

Thanks or everyones INFO...It is real hard for me to locate a Manual (which I'd prefer and have been,since I started driving) but I test drove a used 2010 Mazda5 Sport, autotragic w/ 15K on the clock originally asking 15,900. Got it down to 14,500. not sure what out the door would be.. I'm just trying to get things straight with my Bank..

Do you guys think the 14,500. is a good deal?

Last edited:
Seems that no one on this forum has been able to get a new '10 sport auto for less than 17000 + tax and fees, so 14500 is ok for a 2nd hand model IMO

Is it an ex-rental? And check the tires for excessive wear / oil to make sure it looks OK (not really old, as in the oil has not been changed).

And if you go to www.mazdausa.com (assuming you live in the US) you can do a search for manual Mazda5s within something like a 200 mile radius. Of course you can change your home position to shift the 200 mile radius if you want to look a little further.

Hey there. I just saw that CarMax has an '07 manual for sale, with monroof! out of San Diego. I need the back a/c vent, so it's not for me, but depending on where you are, maybe you could check it out.

TurtleGirl> I'm with you on the rear A/C. I'm currently looking for an 08 and up..I had a local dealer locate a manual Mazda5 2010 in their central inventory...MSRP 19,260 internet price 16,338 not including tax, title, documentation, licensing fees..But I told them in my email i wanted to add Fog light and side sill and told them if it was to save me money I'd install them myself... They called me said they couldn't do the side sills(BS) and the Fogs they could get but installation would be costly..I rambled off it partly plug and play.. Mainly swapping the headlight stalk and plugging in the relay and removing the delete plates and swapping for the Fog assembly(since under the assumption the harnesses are already in the car?) He stated I was over his head on the Fogs..lol. but I'm still searching...

I located a 08 Mazda5 touring w/39,144 on the clock asking 13,995 in MD.

I just bought a new 2010 sport with 5MT. I got awesome deal on it. Try looking at Truecar.com They would look at the lowest price around your area with the specific trim and even color if you wish. The good thing about Trucar they control who could post in the site and it have to be fair no listing of all the available incentive that not everybody would be eligible (loyalty, militay discount or supplier discount)

I really love my MT. The reason we bought our 5 are because its available with MT. Auto minivan/wagon/crossover are everywhere but MT minivan it surprise a lot of people. The clutch on the 5 are feather light and really easy to use even during traffic.

Back