Attempting to wire stock nav. screen for power, external video

tunersteve

Contributor
:
2011 Mustang GT
This has been something I've wanted to do for some time, and I'm finally going to get off my ass and do it...

I was able to get my hands on an OEM navigation screen from the 6/MS6. My car is not wired for the system, and after shopping through several vendors, the option of installing the OEM nav system is too costly ($2000+!). I put the screen away and forgot about it.

About a month or so ago, I told myself I'd look into it. I pulled the screen out, installed it in the car, and found that the LCD screen is the only part that works. The two additional connections supply the +12VDC that I need to power up the screen on start/acc on.

Now, I'm on a quest to do this in two phases. Phase 1 is simply installing the unit and supplying that 12V to open the unit up. The rough plan is to install a wire tied into the cigarette lighter and using an inline fuse, run power to the connection. I still haven't figured out which terminal(s) need the supply voltage.

Phase 2 involves using some sort of external interface to allow me to hookup RCA video cables into the unit. I've found this:

http://www.therpmstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=91&products_id=286

and it appears to be my only option for now. It says that I need to cut 4 wires, so in my instance, I would assume that I will need to supply 4 wires into the terminals on the unit to provide a signal in. On the other end of teh unit, I plan on running an HDMI to RCA connection and the iPod to RCA connection for video output on the screen.

I'm also considering trying to get ahold of some wiring harness connectors and splicing into the back of those, to make my connections that much cleaner.

This may seem long winded, but I will post pics and updates of the unit as the progress moves forward. Right now its off to locating the wiring diagram for a factory nav system.

nice Steve, ive been wanting to try something like this too with my stock NAV

keep us posted with pics and let us know how things work out

nice Steve, ive been wanting to try something like this too with my stock NAV

keep us posted with pics and let us know how things work out

If you've got the stock nav, you just need to buy that interface I posted up. 4 wires spliced in and you should be set.

Right now I'm looking for a wiring diagram for the nav unit. If anyone has one and can post it, it would be greatly appreciated.

On the back of the unit, there are 2 connections. One is a 1x6 white connector, the other is a 2x12 grey connector. I need pin outs for each of these.

Additionally, there is a pigtail, but that only supplies power/data to the LCD screen, which works.

If you've got the stock nav, you just need to buy that interface I posted up. 4 wires spliced in and you should be set.

Right now I'm looking for a wiring diagram for the nav unit. If anyone has one and can post it, it would be greatly appreciated.

I actually just pm'd someone who i think might have this and if they do ill post it to help you out

Steve i got the wiring the diagrams for the nav.. i will post it on here when i get home in about 20 mins

okay i got it.. hope it helps Steve

Attachments

• nav1.gif
    nav1.gif
    49.2 KB · Views: 190
  • nav2.gif
    nav2.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 173
  • nav3.gif
    nav3.gif
    7.5 KB · Views: 177
  • nav4.gif
    nav4.gif
    7.3 KB · Views: 165
  • nav5.gif
    nav5.gif
    8 KB · Views: 169
**** i dont know why they came out so small

edit.. pmd u

Attachments

• nav6.gif
    nav6.gif
    7.9 KB · Views: 182
  • nav7.gif
    nav7.gif
    6.2 KB · Views: 177
  • nav8.gif
    nav8.gif
    5.8 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
**** i dont know why they came out so small

edit.. pmd u

lol... Reminded me of the "Derek Zoolander Center for Kids Who Can't Read Good and Want to Learn to Do Other Stuff Good, too"

..."What is this??? A center for ants?! How are they supposed to learn if they can't even fit inside the building???"

In summary, your diagrams need to be at least.... three times that size. :) Nice find!

I'm downloading them now. Hoping these are going to be big enough to read the pin outs, I may need them emailed to me.

Quick update:

Trying to decipher the wiring diagrams and find where the 12v source comes in. Thanks to amilliems6 for providing me with them, and I'm hoping this afternoon to have it powered up and functional and Phase 1 will be complete!

good s*** man glad to hear that i can help you.

Let us in on some pics when you can

I'm about to go out and clean and wash the car, then pull it in the garage and start testing stuff. I'm also waiting to hear back from a source that may be able to get me pigtail harnesses to mate up with the plugs on the back of the nav screen. If so, this would make my life much easier.

I did seem to find 3 possible terminals to apply a voltage to and hope to power it up. I'm going to bring it into work this weekend and bench test it before I put it in the car, that way I'm not messing with anything.

No, not yet. I haven't had the chance to take it to work and hook it up to our test bench and play with it. s*** hit the fan this week, so I've kept all my 'government' projects at home.

hurry up and do it. i have the AV unit sitting in a box, just waiting to get my car back then try this.

Update:

Currently I've got two 12VDC lines in to terminals 1O and 1Q on the harness, as well as a grounding spade. The unit will power up, then try to close itself every 4-5 secs, but will not open when the open/close button is pressed. Still trying to figure out where the open signal is coming from.

Still unable to get this working properly. For whatever reason, with +12V and proper grounding, its not working. However, when I put -12V to several of the terminals, it closes and then pulses periodically. I'm not sure at this point what is going on.

Back