Anyone using a Curt hitch?

Just saying... It's clearly in the book that the platform is not supposed to tow anything...

So all that s*** that you just wrote means nothing...

What manual states that explicitly?

Btw, do you own a Mz5?

Mazda 5.. Lol... God no, a Van? Never..

The Operating Manual that comes with the vehicle..

But I did have a really detailed look at it when I was getting service on my mazda 3 (Common Platform) and I remembered the part of the instruction manual that clearly stated that under no circumstance will a hitch be attached to the vehicle for safety reasons.

I love how everyone is on the MP5T hate wagon. Just because what I say isn't what you want to hear does not make you more correct.

Mazda has obviously tested the vehicle and found that it does not meet north American safety standards to be towing a trailer, such that they actually posted that in the manual... and sadly, it will take a lethal accident when towing a trailer to change your opinion on weather or not it was a good idea to "Hook Up"

Please don't bother making a reply, just let the thread die.

Last edited:
Again, back to your bridge my friend. You have nothing constructive to add to the conversation and have felt free to spill your venom in multiple threads in a forum for a vehicle you do not own. GO AWAY.

Brian... I've been tolarating you coming into the 5 forum, but get off your internet high horse. I'm sure the protege manual says adding a huge turbo and standalone ecu are totally fine. Its a hitch.

So basically, lay off unless you have something constructive.

Just a note, the manual said nothing about the adding of a turbo..

Mine neither. But something for both sides of the camp... I wouldn't put a hitch on my 5. Mostly because I have a truck for that sort of thing. I also think the 5 would be fine with a load under 1000lbs behind it if loaded properly, driven properly, outfitted properly and you know what the hell you are doing. With that said I also recall speaking with a Mazda rep at the Commercial Vehicle Show in Birmingham, UK a few years back. They had a 5 on display with the second and third row seats removed and a flat load floor installed. Their 5 on display did have a hitch. This question came up because at the time I was interested in putting a hitch on our 5. I had one on my Sentra at the time and had actually towed small items with it (lawnmower, patio table, TV, etc..). I wanted to know why I wasn't supposed to tow with the 5. I wasn't given this answer fact since he wasn't the engineer for the 5 but he gave comment based on this issue coming up in the past. The first is he thought the rear springs in the UK spec Mazda were a little stiffer to accommodate the interior load as well as additional tongue weight behind the bumper for a trailer. The second was the lack of formal driver training in the US, less strict licensing requirements and in most areas a total lack of vehicle inspections. Basically the answer given was Mazda doesn't want the liability of a dipshit wrecking out when towing a trailer on a vehicle loaded with kids and your crap with bad brakes and tires because you weren't trained and didn't maintain your equipment properly. Thus the manual states not rated for towing.

Dammit- read through entire thread and searched, but can anyone tell me whether a 2" receiver hitch is sold? Don't they have adapters to go from 1-1/4 to 2"? I just got a deal on a 2" 3-bike rack that works fine for my Toyota Tundra, but I'll want to use it on the 2012 Mazda5 as well....

Last edited:
Dammit- read through entire thread and searched, but can anyone tell me whether a 2" receiver hitch is sold? Don't they have adapters to go from 1-1/4 to 2"? I just got a deal on a 2" 3-bike rack that works fine for my Toyota Tundra, but I'll want to use it on the 2012 Mazda5 as well....

AFAIK, there are no 2" receiver hitches for the 5 - I'm in the same situation - just bought another bike rack to fit the 1.5 receiver.

You can get 1.5 to 2" adapters, the problem with the adapters is that they increase the lever arm and torque on the hitch mount points.

Well then....

AFAIK, there are no 2" receiver hitches for the 5 - I'm in the same situation - just bought another bike rack to fit the 1.5 receiver.

You can get 1.5 to 2" adapters, the problem with the adapters is that they increase the lever arm and torque on the hitch mount points.

...considering none of my bikes, or those of my family members, weigh over 25lbs and its a 3-bike rack and not a 4, I guess i'm not too worried by using an adapter....I wonder if you can attach a single stabilization/load strap running from the top of the hitch rack to the top of the hatch back, i'm sure something pretty simple can figured out or just put on 2 bikes with the heavier one on the inside - I already have a Inno 2-bike roofrack anyhows...

My one complaint about the Curt hitch on my 2010 is that when I'm not towing a 10000lb enclosed trailer, I'm taking a bike rack off/on. The "ears" for trailer safety chains are right by the hitch pin, which makes using a wrench in the hitch bolt almost impossible. Now I have to carry a socket wrench with extension instead of a much cheaper box wrench.

I suppose I could cut them off, but I'm worried about making an easy spot for rust to take hold.

Just saying... It's clearly in the book that the platform is not supposed to tow anything...

So all that s*** that you just wrote means nothing...

Hi Brian, thanks for the comment, don't want to drag this on and on, but just wanted to more succinctly address your concerns as yes, my comment was a bit long, and as you don't actually own an Mazda5 there are a few things you may not know about this vehicle internationally. So to make it a bit more simple to understand:

1. Your first point - "...they (the brakes) lack the stopping power and the ATX isn't equipped with the required cooling to safely manage any towed load."

First, you should be careful when stating your opinion as fact as it can cause some confusion. And actually, as I mentioned before, the exact same vehicle with the SAME brakes and the SAME tranny, without additional cooling, is rated for towing in many countries around the world. So, no that is not the case. I won't bother providing links but if you look through the literature provided on the UK website for example you'll see the ratings there, let me know if you need help finding any of this information.

2. In your second point - "you add a trailer and you are not covered by insurance in the case of an accident".

I"ll just mention again to be careful stating your opinion as fact. Because no, insurance is not concerned with a tow rating except when the vehicle is rated for towing, because it ups your GVWR which is what they are actually concerned about. And I'll point you back to my above comment which explains how that works. I don't have any links to this info, just the information passed to me by my insurance rep when I insured my trailer for use with my Mazda 5. But if you have any sources to contradict this, please pass it along and I'll bring it up with my insurance provider because yes, rules & regs can and do differ between areas and providers.

Hope this factual based information helps everyone else form their own opinions as to whether or not they decide to use their own Mazda 5 for towing. And thanks BRIAN_MP5T for trying to help us out here in the Mazda 5 forum, better luck next time, Cheers!

Last edited:
Irony is that my car is rated for a hitch...

Yes it is. I used to own one, loved that car by the way. But it is an older vehicle and back then many smaller vehicles were still rated for towing in North America that are now not.

For example, the Mazda3 (which you own) which replaced the Protege and Protege5 is not rated for towing. My opinion? As someone else has already mentioned, with the litigious nature of North America, liability-wise, it became cheaper and simpler to just not rate any vehicle below a cross-over for towing. The other and maybe complimentary reason floated around is that it's one additional way for car companies to move people into larger more expensive vehicles when those same people could probably get-away with something smaller and cheaper if it was rated for towing. These are just theories of course.

I'd be interested to hear why you think your Mazda P5 is rated for towing and your Mazda3 is not? Do you think there is anything about the P5 that made it a more capable tow vehicle than a Mazda3 would be. As an owner of both you'd probably have some insight on this.

Last edited:
Back