Anyone see the SCC article on the SRT-4?

p5sundevil

:
03.5 MidnightBlue p5
well in the last SCC issue I happened to get they did a detailed breakdown with pictures and explanation of the entire SRT-4 engine. The same 2.4L turbo derived fromt he cruiser.

Seems like all the people with their shorts up their buts saying it is still a neon are quite wrong.

The engine, according to what I saw and read, is quite well built, actually built better than most with alot of little things in the engine that make it alot better for power and reliability.

Supposedly the 2004 model will show a 15hp rating increae(probably just PR since the 215hp rated 03 model dyno'd at 230+) and it gets an LSD, wow.

With an LSd I dont think there is a car in its class that can touch this thing for power. the WRX, MSp or anythign wont compare to this car I think unless those companies also plan big changes.

I still obviously prefer the styling and handling of the p5, but the new front fascias I have seen for the srt are really nice and suspension can always change.

If alot of people want me to Ill just quote out the descriptions from the magazine on the major parts....

JUST an FYI, something now to tell the kids saying its still a neon to go shove it.

standard neons have 2.0L engines. the srt has a 2.4. that's what's under the hood. i think what people are saying is that it's still a neon on the inside (minus the seats). the plastics are still the same cheap plastics, the rear windows are still hand cranks, and overall interior fit and finish aren't up to par with others in its class.

but you're right. the engine is to be reckoned with. the addition of the lsd will help squelch all critics. the only thing it's lacking now is a decent suspension setup. however, it can still blast through the slalom at 69 mph... right up there with the speed.

with the running track record of the neon, it's bound to have problems. but until there are widespread problems, the srt-4 is definitely best bang for your buck if you're out to get an off the shelf pocket rocket.

only thing i want or like about it is the engine, thats all. i could care less about the rest of the car, too bad the engine is in a neon shell.

what's this doing in the protege5 thread?? ahhh.. someone had to say it :)

too bad the engine is in a neon shell.

Ok that the whole f'n point the engine is not a neon shell engine, the N/A version of that 2.4L engine has been around a lot longer than when it was in the PT cruiser, they have been using it in some of their sebrings/stratus's and etc for quite a while now. For the SRT they just have a turbo system on it.

And if you see that article there really should be issues for engine reliability.

The insides of the car are personal taste, i dont really like em either but like I also said for the price and power the SRT gives out the interioir and suspension can always be changed, that is what modding your car is all about right?

Oh and I posted this here cause I saw alot of threads about this car in this forum when it first came out...if it needs to be moved, move it.

Personally I would rather have the new 2door stratus SXT with the 2.4L turbo engine in it. That car has way better styling. Keeping it in that daimler/chrysler/dodge family..

where's RazorP5 to rant and move the thread when you need him :)

i hate neons - but i like SRT4s. and i like MSPs. i hate SE-R Spec Vs. so sue me.

I like the SRT-4, I"m planning on buying on in a year hopefully. A whole lot faster, just lower it to make it look nice, and smoke any import out there! AAAAHHH Don't FLAME ME!

p5sundevil said:
Ok that the whole f'n point the engine is not a neon shell engine,

Whoa... chill dude.. he said shell.... not shelll engine... lol...

I think that was his point....

justcharlie said:
stratus' are soooo bad. i have two friends that have them, they're non stop mechanical problems.

I have one as a beater car... well a cirrus. It's a '98 LXI with 104k on it. It's cost me less than $2000 in 'non-warranty' repairs. I hope my Pro5 costs that little to maintenance with that sort of return.

neons are domestic pices of SH*T. sure its faster but the thing will be ready to die at 150,000km. plus it looks like a neon, and is a neon.

sorry misinterpretation, i agree with all they did for the engine the looks could have been adjusted.

darkshadows, the whole point of me posting in the first place was to point out this engine will most certainly last that long.

The rest of the car I dont know about, but from the pics of every single engine(major) part and descriptions of the manufacturing quality it seems like it will last a long time and be able to handle most boost applications people throw at it on stock internals.

good article. That thing is a beast, i wouldnt get caught dead in one. Looks mean a lot to me, thats why i am modding my mp3. It is an awesome deal, if i was only into going fast and didnt care what i drove i would buy one.

fkmp5 said:
what's this doing in the protege5 thread?? ahhh.. someone had to say it :)

sundevilel i must admit you are constantly posting s*** that has nothing to do whatsoever with the protege5...please adhere to the rest of the standards and post in the correct forum..for example, this would go in the other sport compact section, and the last thread that i just moved of yours would go int he off-topic section, which is where i put it.

I thought the 2.4 in the SRT-4 is the same motor as the new 04 Lancer Ralliart has, Outlander, base Galant, and 3 gen Eclipse RS/GS models?

Last edited:
Captain KRM P5 said:
where's RazorP5 to rant and move the thread when you need him :)

i hate neons - but i like SRT4s. and i like MSPs. i hate SE-R Spec Vs. so sue me.

Why do you hate SE-R Spec Vs for?????

Latest posts

Back