Anyone Running a AEM Short Ram Intake?

i have had one in for about a year now , no complaints hasn't come loose no CEL's or anything. It gives the car a deeper tone under full throttle but at cruising speed isn't noticable. all in all its pretty nice.

Honestly, save your money.

Get the Ebay CAI (not SRI, it has issues with getting a hole in the piping) and run that. Change the filter to K&N if you are concerned with the quality of the filter.

Chris

I will have mine for a year in November and love it. Got mine from another member at ebay prices, with install! ;) Only thing I changed was the filter...took off the oil one and installed a dryflow.

Which Ebay CAI is the one you guys speak of? They all appear to be of poor quality. A link would be great cause I am all about saving a few bucks. I was planning on the Injen CAI.

have had one for about three years and never had to do anything other than clean the filter, which right now it is probaly over due.

ive got the bomz SRI
www.bomzracing.com

basically an ebay, just a nicer name for it. ive had it for about a year and a half or so and have had no problems with it. has a great sound to it as well.

I ran the AEM on my ol' Protege5 back in the day, and i had zero issues with it. The SRI was worthless imo, but I grabbed the CAI and angled it off to the side.....it fit perfect. You just need to remove the tab.

...im actually not even sure if AEM makes em like this anymore. The pics ive seen look different.

Protege.jpg

Last edited:
^ yea, i know. But when u live in Southern Texas, its not a good idea to have your filter hanging below your engine. It floods like its nobody's business.

Neither one frees up much hp... It is a nice 'bump' in perofrmance and sounds cooler. Combine with header and exhaust and the manifold VTCS removal and port/poilish - then it reallly starts to add up... It is a link in the chain (of mods) to achieve a sum greater than the parts.

Meh. SRI is fine - easier to clean, easier to install, no danger of hydrolocked engine. The additional (i am serious) 2 hp (maybe) of the CAI doesn't buy its way on board for me.

Thanks for the info P-Funk. I'll probably stick w/ the SRI.

I got the K&N typhoon CAI and its a pretty decent difference, the idea of cold air as apposed to hot air going into my engine is what sold me on the whole idea, everyone likes cold air :)

Agreed - cold air good.
Consider this - as soon as i launch all that hot air is pushed out of the bay (i even removed that rubber seal at the cowl). AND your engine is heating the intake manifold and the T/B (i did the thermoblok[tm] as well).

I would LOVE to have a direct reading thermometer and drive around with it. Many posts on the differences and the concensus i derive is that 'there is no big performance difference'.

So, CAI or SRI, shouldn't really affect engine temps? Reason I ask is in FL, it's hot all the time, and traffic is common place. So, sitting in traffic for 45 minutes not moving with a SRI should be ok?

Tylor

So, CAI or SRI, shouldn't really affect engine temps? Reason I ask is in FL, it's hot all the time, and traffic is common place. So, sitting in traffic for 45 minutes not moving with a SRI should be ok?

Tylor

It's almost like sitting at idle, nothing really bad happens.

I just installed an AEM SRI, it's not that bad, nice easy install. I do hear a difference when I drive at faster speeds. But I haven't done any other mods to actually FEEL a difference.

Tylor

right now i'm in florida as well and instead of buying a CAI or SRI i made my own that is a cross between the two (it's just a little longer than a SRI) and then made a cold air box out of aluminum and insulation, all together it cost me about $40. the reason i did this was because i'm in an area that tends to flood when it rains, so with a CAI i would suck up water, but like you said, it's crazy hot down here, so i didn't want to be sucking up the hot air from the engine as well as the hot air that is normal here. i'll take some pics and show you what i mean, eventually i'll do a how to on the box, it's really simple though. i dont know if that helped any, but just thought i'd say what i did.

So, CAI or SRI, shouldn't really affect engine temps?

Intake air has very little effect on overall engine temp.

Agreed - cold air good.
Consider this - as soon as i launch all that hot air is pushed out of the bay (i even removed that rubber seal at the cowl).

And it's pushed out by air from that's come from where? Air that has entered the engine bay largely after passing through the hot AC condenser and hot radiator. My coolant temp gauge reads 185 degrees.

I also have the K&N Typhoon CAI. If you buy an e-gay cai you will get an enormous headache trying to put it on, then when you get it to fit (and it never will just right) You need to tighten it up once a month. They are a horrible quality piece of equipment. If you really want to save your money and only buy one CAI then buy something else besides e-gay.

Back