Anyone know of a Mazda 1200 pickup?

Hello,
Fenders in fair condition would be easy to find. Anyway, in mazda Greece there are still some parts available an everything common with 1200 pick up its much more easy to be found here as hundreds still survive. I suppose your car is a 1968-1972 model, an ex-Yugoslavia import car. I remember those cars, really i found the different site of this..

Last edited:
Well that pickup is called the Mazda Familiar and came with a 1400cc engine here in Thailand. And in Thailand there is quite a few old cars still running around on the streets. That car is really cheap here and quite easy to find. Maybe only $400 or $500.

I heard its the sister car for the Datsun 1200 pickup. Will grills and headlights be interchangable you think?

Hi all,
New member here looking for some really classic Mazda info. I recently acquired a 1971 Mazda 1200 pickup, and cannot find any info on it at all. Its pre '72 Mazda 1600/Ford Courier style pickup and there is no mention of it anywhere. The front end sheet metal looks sort of like the 1200 car grille, and it has small oval taillights, different from the later Mazda trucks.

I am a professional restorer of Japanese motorcycles and old Japanese vehicles, and usually have better luck than this finding info. There is nothing on Ebay other than 1200 car parts, which other than the engine, there are no similarities. The only reference, on the net, to this model at all is from a fellow in British Columbia who had one in the 70's. He claims his was one of only 50 sold in Western Canada. Where he got that information isn't clear. Mazda has no records at all, or at least no one I have contacted there knows anything about it. I also have found no refence to it in any parts books at the local auto parts store, or older service manuals from the time like Chilton, Motor, Haynes, etc.

What I do know about it:

It was sold in Florida. (according to the service/warranty booklet)
It is a March of 1971 model.
It is a US model, because it has a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard tag.
The VIN and engine number both start with BTA65.

Any help, directions, laughter, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Randy Creel
randyscycle
Rhoadesville VA
www.rcycle.com

I got a Mazda 1200 Pu like yours, I herd by a guy in Nevada that they only made 2500 of them for the US. If you need parts go on Ebay & search for mazda 1000 UTE, thats how I get parts for mine

1200.jpg

This is a 1971 Mazda 1200 pickup I purchased in 1971. Sorry for the poor picture. It had the 1200cc engine, 4-speed manual (alum.), weighed 1200 pounds and cost $1200 ! It cost less than the Datsun, was slightly smaller overall, but with a 6 bed. It came with 12 inch wheels. The reason I purchased it over the more powerful Datsun (although the Mazda would outrun the Datsun!), is that I intended to cut it up and make a sand buggy out of it and the cab and bed lines matched up perfectly. It didnt come with any options except a radio. Only one color red. It was (according to the dealer in El Paso) the second sold in the US and came into a port near Houston.

It was the same body from the doors forward as the R100 of the same year and I bought a wrecked R100 and used the Rotary engine/transmission from it. I shortened the frame 14 inches just aft of the cab, cut 14 inches out of the bed ahead of the rear wheels. I then shortened up the rear of the bed 12. I cut out the front of the bed, the rear of the cab and cut off the entire roof and door frames just leaving the windshield/posts. I welded the bed to cab and made a full rollcage and canvas top. I re-drilled the wheel lug pattern to match Ford 14 wheels and ran 10 wide tires after lifting the suspension. It was so light when I finished it didnt even make a mark in sand when tires were run at 10 or 12 pounds.

I bought a Scout in 1976 and sold the Mazda in Phoenix and lost track of it. Great little truck and I wish I could find it again.

Randy,
Are you still restoring the Mazda 1200? I'm in the process of getting one myself and found this old blog.

Γεια σε όλους,
Νέο μέλος εδώ ψάχνει για κάποιες πραγματικά κλασικές πληροφορίες Mazda. Πρόσφατα απέκτησα ένα pickup Mazda 1200 του 1971 και δεν μπορώ να βρω καμία απολύτως πληροφορία για αυτό. Το pre '72 Mazda 1600/Ford Courier pickup και δεν αναφέρεται πουθενά. Η μπροστινή λαμαρίνα μοιάζει κάπως με τη μάσκα αυτοκινήτου 1200 και έχει μικρά οβάλ πίσω φώτα, διαφορετικά από τα μεταγενέστερα φορτηγά Mazda.

Είμαι επαγγελματίας επισκευαστής ιαπωνικών μοτοσυκλετών και παλαιών ιαπωνικών οχημάτων και συνήθως έχω καλύτερη τύχη από αυτήν την εύρεση πληροφοριών. Δεν υπάρχει τίποτα στο Ebay εκτός από 1200 ανταλλακτικά αυτοκινήτων , που εκτός από τον κινητήρα, δεν υπάρχουν ομοιότητες. Η μόνη αναφορά, στο διαδίκτυο, σε αυτό το μοντέλο είναι από έναν φίλο στη Βρετανική Κολομβία που είχε ένα στη δεκαετία του '70. Ισχυρίζεται ότι το δικό του ήταν ένα από τα μόλις 50 που πωλήθηκαν στον Δυτικό Καναδά. Από πού πήρε αυτές τις πληροφορίες δεν είναι σαφές. Η Mazda δεν έχει καθόλου δίσκους, ή τουλάχιστον κανείς με τον οποίο έχω επικοινωνήσει εκεί δεν γνωρίζει τίποτα γι' αυτό. Επίσης, δεν έχω βρει αναφορά σε αυτό σε βιβλία ανταλλακτικών στο τοπικό κατάστημα ανταλλακτικών αυτοκινήτων ή σε παλαιότερα εγχειρίδια σέρβις από την εποχή, όπως Chilton, Motor, Haynes κ.λπ.

Τι ξέρω για αυτό:

Πουλήθηκε στη Φλόριντα. (σύμφωνα με το βιβλιάριο σέρβις/εγγύησης)
Είναι μοντέλο Μαρτίου του 1971.
Είναι μοντέλο των ΗΠΑ, επειδή έχει μια ετικέτα Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard.
Το VIN και ο αριθμός κινητήρα ξεκινούν με BTA65.

Οποιαδήποτε βοήθεια, οδηγίες, γέλια, συμβουλές κ.λπ. θα εκτιμούσαμε ιδιαίτερα!

Randy Creel
randyscycle
Rhoadesville VA
www.rcycle.com

Γεια σας, είμαι από την Ελλάδα και έχω ένα Mazda BTA65 P/U από τον πατέρα μου. Μοντέλο του 1977 και σε κατάσταση λειτουργίας, λειτουργεί και με υγραέριο

Translated: Hello, I'm from Greece and I have a Mazda BTA65 P/U from my father. 1977 model and in working condition, also runs on LPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Back