Anyone know of a Mazda 1200 pickup?

Hi Max,

As an interesting footnote to the auction on the 1200 coupe, it seems to have been removed and is no longer up for bids on e-bay. Strange...

In the restoration/classics realm, I too am glad to finally see these vintage Japanese cars getting their due. It is about time that folks realize how pivotal some of the early cars were for both the Japanese and the world economy.

I grew up when everyone was collecting and restoring 57 Chevys, and while they are beautiful cars, they have almost gotten out of the reach of the average person anymore. I have had as much if not more fun with the imports, and many times they are the best conversation starters in the world! Plus the smaller they are the more they seem to appeal to me......

I hope that at some level the aftermarket will be able to step up as well and reproduce some parts if there is enough demand. That would be a big help. I watched as the Triumph and BSA motorcycles died out, then for a period there were no parts available, and now, there is a huge resurgence and parts are again being produced, so its not impossible for the same to occur in the old imports as well. Finding the rolling stock to restore may be a bit more of a problem too though.

Send along a pic of your RX, I'd love to see it.

Randy

maxg765 said:
Hello Randy

Ya, I find his price very high. But then I like to see that. As an owner of a vinatge Mazda myself I am glad to see that they are finally starting to fectch more dollars than ever before. I think people are starting to appreciate vinatge Mazda's and look at them a s collectable's not just vehicles to modify and race. There was recently an RX3-SP that the bids went as high as $22000 and change but did not reach the reserve of $24000 and change. I have also seen good condition examples recently fetch between $9500 and $15000 in the past 12 months. Noting the recent trend in people collecting vintage auto's other than muscle cars and seeing as how Mazda cars are hard to find to begin with due to the low surviving numbers (I think but by all means am no expert) they will start to go up in value. After all in North America it is only now (30 years plus) that Mazda's have reached the maturity age for being a collactable vehicle and thus I feel that it is now that they will start to be looked for and get harder to obtain at low prices.

Keep me (us) posted on the progress of your restoration. I love to see that truck prior to paint after its been stripped.

best regards

Max

My RX4 PIC

randyscycle said:
Hi Max,

As an interesting footnote to the auction on the 1200 coupe, it seems to have been removed and is no longer up for bids on e-bay. Strange...
In the restoration/classics realm, I too am glad to finally see these vintage Japanese cars getting their due. It is about time that folks realize how pivotal some of the early cars were for both the Japanese and the world economy.

problem too though.

Send along a pic of your RX, I'd love to see it.

Randy

Here are some pics of my RX4. Its a 1974 with less than 34000 original miles on it. The car is like new and has never had a repaint, scratch, ding, or rust on any pannel. It is all stock wearing all its original day one parts minus one wiper blade, a muffler, and a set of tires. Obviously the oil and gas filter and other maintnance items have been changed durring servicing. The car needs absolutly nothing.
I just bought it from the original 94 year old woman owner. Neat story. I have a post in the Rotary section. haven't actually received it as its currently in transport. The pictures are even before a wash at her garage/home.

regards

Max

Attachments

• RearBumper & passenger Top View.JPG
    RearBumper & passenger Top View.JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 320
  • Front Top View.JPG
    Front Top View.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 315
  • Engine Driver Side Close up.JPG
    Engine Driver Side Close up.JPG
    209.6 KB · Views: 330
  • Odometer Close-up.JPG
    Odometer Close-up.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 307
  • Passenger Side Top View.JPG
    Passenger Side Top View.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 296
maxg765 said:
Here are some pics of my RX4. Its a 1974 with less than 34000 original miles on it. The car is like new and has never had a repaint, scratch, ding, or rust on any pannel. It is all stock wearing all its original day one parts minus one wiper blade, a muffler, and a set of tires. Obviously the oil and gas filter and other maintnance items have been changed durring servicing. The car needs absolutly nothing.
I just bought it from the original 94 year old woman owner. Neat story. I have a post in the Rotary section. haven't actually received it as its currently in transport. The pictures are even before a wash at her garage/home.

regards

Max

WOw, Thats great!! ive seen those back when I used to go to Saudi arabia for vacation. I always like that car.

also, the 1200 pickup. I know my dads friend in the Philippines used to own one but he long since died and dont know what happen to that truck. He used that truck for commute and even went to our province manytimes. THe engine is not to be desired by HP freaks because eveytime it has to go on a steep hill we all have to go down and so it lessens it load. lol.. but nice running car and solid chassis. Hope you find parts and info abt the truck.

Wow! What a beautiful car! How'd you find it? Its not too often you see a really wonderful example thats been unmolested like yours. That is a dream too, because it it a great reference for other restorers on what is correct and original.

Hope you enjoy many happy miles together!!

Randy

maxg765 said:

regards

Max

Thanks for the reply regarding the 1200 pickup. I have a feeling, more of those were used and sold in other countries than the US. We didn't get much of the small trucks until later years.

I am sure it hasn't much power! I have a Honda 600 coupe, and I know they are OK on a flat road, but a long hill or freeway merge and you can almost get out and walk faster!!!

Take Care!!

Randy

txmzdspd2gen said:
WOw, Thats great!! ive seen those back when I used to go to Saudi arabia for vacation. I always like that car.

also, the 1200 pickup. I know my dads friend in the Philippines used to own one but he long since died and dont know what happen to that truck. He used that truck for commute and even went to our province manytimes. THe engine is not to be desired by HP freaks because eveytime it has to go on a steep hill we all have to go down and so it lessens it load. lol.. but nice running car and solid chassis. Hope you find parts and info abt the truck.

randyscycle said:
Wow! What a beautiful car! How'd you find it? Its not too often you see a really wonderful example thats been unmolested like yours. That is a dream too, because it it a great reference for other restorers on what is correct and original.

Hope you enjoy many happy miles together!!

Randy

Hello Randy,

I found it by pure chance. An ad was posted on the net in error for one day and I came across it writing the number down when I saw the post. I called a few days later when I went back to look for the ad and noticed it was gone. The owner lives in a tiny town with no airport etc...A lot of details in between but the bottom line is I was able to buy the car.

Best regards

Max

maxg765 said:
Hello Randy,

I found it by pure chance. An ad was posted on the net in error for one day and I came across it writing the number down when I saw the post. I called a few days later when I went back to look for the ad and noticed it was gone. The owner lives in a tiny town with no airport etc...A lot of details in between but the bottom line is I was able to buy the car.

Best regards

Max

Wow. Lovely car. :D

My Rx4

Hello All,

If you are looking in this thread and at reading this post it is because you originally had interest in the Mazda 1200 Pickup. PLEASE DON'T TAKE THIS THE WRONG WAY, While I do welcome any and all comments on my RX4 and would love to hear from anyone I don't want to take away from the aide that Randy (the starter of this thread) is looking for on his "1200" PICKUP. I have a thread I started on my RX4 in the "Rotary" section titled "Got a 1974 RX4 Coupe UNRESTORED & NEW". Again, please don't misunderstand me and think I don't appreciate comments on my RX4 and look at my thread and post remarks there and lets continue to help Randy with his pickup mystery.

Best regards

Max

I went to our public library yesterday and did some research in some old publications. Unfortunately, our library doesn't archive old automotive mags so I was limited to Time, Newsweek and Life. I searched a bit through some issues of Time from 1970 and 71 and Newsweek from 71. All adverts and articles regarding mazda were promoting the new rotary engine. I'll try to go back in a week or two and check out the 1969 issues. I'm not holding my breath but I'll check.

Hi all,

Thanks for all the help and encouragement!

I too have looked in a few older magazines for a possible advertisement too. Still no luck except for the rotary stuff as well. I did find the 1200 coupe in a National Geographic ad from '71, and it was a small black and white ad near the back of the issue.

Randy

I ran accross this while doing my own research. Not sure if its for the correct car but it sure looks like it. lol

http://www.manuals.co.nz/?page=shop...576&CLSN_728=1160546430728d2e1da62541eafeaf34

8884.jpg

----

I also found this..
http://personal.img.net/~devanishen/mycars.htm
71 Mazda 1200 Pickup $1200. Bought through another one of those let's-get-rid-of-the-old-Co-op-van deals. This turns out to be one of only 50 such vehicles sold in Western Canada. I eventually ended up with two of them. Nice truck - 47 mpg.
mazdapu.gif

Last edited:
mspMee said:
I ran accross this while doing my own research. Not sure if its for the correct car but it sure looks like it. lol

http://www.manuals.co.nz/?page=shop...576&CLSN_728=1160546430728d2e1da62541eafeaf34

8884.jpg

----

I also found this..
http://personal.img.net/~devanishen/mycars.htm

mazdapu.gif

Hi,

Wow! Where did you find the manual, and is it available for sale!!! I am very interested.

I am familiar with Danny Evanishen. He has the only picture of that truck on the whole of the net.

Randy

mspMee said:
no problem. I hope it helps with the truck.

I purchased the manual today and its on its way from New Zealand. They were very eager to help out and ship the shop manual all the way round the world! Thanks again for your help!!!

Randy

parts for mazda 1200 deluxe

can anyone tell me where can I find original parts (fenders and hood) for mazda 1200. thanks

Hello, vlatko. Your best chance is Greece. Fenders in fair condition would be easy to find. Anyway, in mazda Greece there are still some parts availiable an everything common with 1200 pick up its much more easy to be found here as hundreds still survive. I suppose your car is a 1968-1972 model, an ex-Yugoslavia import car. I remember those cars, plus 1500s running ex-"Jugoslavija"'s roads. I spotted a 1200 last year in Ohrid.

Thessaloniki is not your best destination, as at that time mazda passenger cars were mostly sold at southern Greece. I am located in Athens and as an old school mazda collector I can help you. Dont hesitate to contact me.

Regards

PS1. It would be great to post pics of your car.

Back