Anyone install Bodyside Moldings on a CX-5?

Hi all. New to the site and glad to be here. Just picked up our new CX-5 in late July (to add to our family fleet of a 2007 Mazda3 and a 2012 Mazda3). I installed the body-side molding on the CX-5 and the 2012 Mazda3. Looks great on both. Here is a photo of the CX-5:

asset.php

Attachments

• CX-5 (1280x722).jpg
    CX-5 (1280x722).jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 751
If you add a coupon code ( simple search ) you get an extra 5% off these. Brings them down to 117.xx instead of 124.xx

Hi all. New to the site and glad to be here. Just picked up our new CX-5 in late July (to add to our family fleet of a 2007 Mazda3 and a 2012 Mazda3). I installed the body-side molding on the CX-5 and the 2012 Mazda3. Looks great on both. Here is a photo of the CX-5:

asset.php

Great job everyone nice pics, I managed to get mine shipped across the pond from Sportwing. They were very helpful. Unfortunately finding it hard to get someone to put them on for me. Its near freezing here , too cold to put on outside otherwise I'd do them myself.

Seems to me that the molding isn't going to do much because the hi point of the doors is above the molding. Someone is going to open their door on you and miss the molding. Am I missing something?

Seems to me that the molding isn't going to do much because the hi point of the doors is above the molding. Someone is going to open their door on you and miss the molding. Am I missing something?

No. Realistically it's only expected to protect body from some of the dings.

Regardless, it's a clean-looking installation, hardly noticable which is a good thing.

No. Realistically it's only expected to protect body from some of the dings.

Regardless, it's a clean-looking installation, hardly noticable which is a good thing.

Agreed, still too cold and wet here to put them on, but at least I have my full bonnet(hood) and front bumper clear bra on now. 320mile round trip for that...

Well finally, the temperature rose to 9 or 10 deg C today and being dry for the first time in a while, today was the day to put the body side moldings on.

Washed car, then measured as per the instructions. I ADDED an inch to both measurements because that was the width of the masking tape and I lined up the TOP of the masking tape with the string line. I Re-checked the masking tape line against a new string line and found that the masking tape had sagged down just over an eighth of an inch in the middle. lifted over half the tape and re-positioned. Check again all now OK with the lines on both sides.

I measured out the trim end with smaller pieces of masking tape. Then I cleaned with the cleaning pad and then the pro-bond.

IMG_2581_zps2f9c01c6.jpg

IMG_2582_zps2b70b914.jpg

IMG_2580_zps5d459422.jpg

IMG_2583_zps9c890543.jpg

IMG_2584_zps8d3ad539.jpg

IMG_2585_zps24eb17da.jpg

When it came to fitting I removed the protective film on the end pieces of adhesive BEFORE the trim was placed on the door. I did of course peel about 12 inches from the straight end as per the instructions.

I used a heat gun to warm up the doors first, I think to be honest if the temperatures were any lower there could of been a problem getting them to stick.

IMG_2587_zps7cc2e934.jpg

IMG_2586_zpsc8a112b8.jpg

I could well be the first in the UK to have these fitted! No one was interested in fitting these for me. *too small a job*
but I'm glad I did it myself in the end! Many thanks to all who shared their photos and comment of how to fit.(yippy)

IMG_2588_zps42f44a28.jpg

Looks great, but does the tape not leave a gap between the moulding and the door? A gap where you can look down and see the adhesive tape?

Looks great, but does the tape not leave a gap between the moulding and the door? A gap where you can look down and see the adhesive tape?

It does, but it's not too bad. If Dawn-ent had recessed the door facing side of the strips a bit and placed the tape in the recess that would have been an improvment. But until mazda uk come up with something better, (will they ever?) It's more than ok for me.

Very nice install jobs! Looks like OEM if the designers had incorporated it into production.

Since I'm so anal, it would probably take me 3 hours just to do the tape set-up ( I don't do wall paper either). OTOH, I usually park far away from all offenders. I've even got the rest of family following the same parking practice.

I put mine on a few minutes ago. Very easy install, I did not use string but I did follow the instructions using tape. Came out perfect. The only thing I did different is that I took all of the covering off of the tape before the install. There is no reason to mess with pulling that off if you have your front to back measurement. I really like the look of it because it breaks up the profile of the large doors. No heat gun since it was 75 here today. Highly recommended.

Last edited:
I put mine on a few minutes ago. Very easy install, I did not use string but I did follow the instructions using tape. Came out perfect. The only thing I did different is that I took all of the covering off of the tape before the install. There is no reason to mess with pulling that off if you have your front to back measurement. I really like the look of it because it breaks up the profile of the large doors. No heat gun since it was 75 here today. Highly recommended.

I would say cool, but at 75 degrees I'd be wrong :)

any chance of some pics?

I think you did a great job measuring and ensuring the molding was done well - however.... to me this molding (and as pictured on the sportwing website) breaks up the flow of the doors design.. the straight line just doesn't blend with the curve of the door that's towards the bottom. I would've loved the put the moldings but not these. Just my 2 cents.

I think you did a great job measuring and ensuring the molding was done well - however.... to me this molding (and as pictured on the sportwing website) breaks up the flow of the doors design.. the straight line just doesn't blend with the curve of the door that's towards the bottom. I would've loved the put the moldings but not these. Just my 2 cents.

I felt just the opposite. I thought the molding did a nice job of breaking up what to me were large areas of sheet metal, but I really did it to avoid door dings. I had my last car for 11 years and the moldings prevented all but one small ding. I already got one small little chip that was a breeze to touch up.

Back