Anyone install a Mazda Bose Spare Wheel Sub-woofer in M5?

Whitegrill5

:
Mazda 5 Sport
Has anyone installed or considered installing a Mazda Bose Spare Wheel Sub Woofer in the Mazda 5?

The unit I am referring to mounts inside the Spare Tire and was/is available on the Mazda 6 and Mazda 3 (hatch versions), as well as some other make cars such as the Nisan Rogue, and some Infinity and Acura models. Appears might need to get a box from Pak to hook up to the radio head to be able to pull a preamp signal from left and right channel and run power back to it. I like the idea that it would not take any valuable space from behind the 3rd row seats like other sub options might do. Since it fits in the spare tire cavity I also don't need to be without the spare tire.

From what I have been reading I think the Mazda 6 has an amplifier built into the Bose Spare Tire Bass unit (atleast certain years, not sure of all?) but think the Mazda 3 may have the amp under one of the seats and not an amp at the Bose Bass unit. Maybe if anyone has been down this road they may be able to confirm?

I don't want or expect a kick in the seat thump sound, just a little more fuller bass sound, and don't want to loose space behind the seats or under any of the other seats.

I looked at using the one from the 6 (you can find a bunch of them on ebay) but I already had a 8" shallow pioneer sub from my old car so I went with a Pioneer UD-SW200D box, its tiny and light for a speaker box (easily movable with one hand), fits with all seats up, and most people will be unable to tell its a box since its down firing (speaker not visible) and tiny.

I think as long as you are not craving the bass from dual 10" subs or greater this will more than fulfill your needs, its close to a single 10" in a sealed box, but not in a ported box with a bass track.

FYI only down side to the box, which I later found seems to be a common problem, was the speaker hole was just slightly too small, but with a dremel and 10min the sub fit just fine.

If this takes up too much room in your trunk, your carrying too much junk

d9c72dcc-4236-4ff3-aac4-278435499ba6.jpg

that is nice and small.

but the idea here is to have something completely out of the way - that you don't have to remove when you have to haul something.

do you have quick disconnects on it? just curious....

that is nice and small.

but the idea here is to have something completely out of the way - that you don't have to remove when you have to haul something.

do you have quick disconnects on it? just curious....

I agree its nice having things completely out of the way but those OEM spare tire subs are way too under powered for my needs; I don't need a lot of bass but I do need more than those OEM spare tire subs give out.

Its just a speaker box so it has normal speaker box spring loaded quick disconnect terminals; I also left the speaker wires pretty long so I can drop the 3rd row and move the box up to the back of the 2nd row seats without disconnecting the wires if I need to.

Doing any real hauling of any kind requires dropping the 3rd row seats, and unless you always travel with nothing in your trunk you will always have to move something. I always carry jumper cables, a first aid kit, and some tools, so moving a little box is nothing really.

How do you have the box mounted to the floor ? Brackets ? Velcro for easy removal ?

Right now its just sitting there, I might strap it down or velcro it but for now its just wedged in place by all the extra crap I have been carrying around lately.

Oh and the rear pockets I mentioned in the PM are the ones that have the scissor jack on the left and storage on the right.

Is that preamp'd or do you have an external amp mounted somewhere? If so, would like to see where.

If you are only looking for a little thump, why not consider a low profile under seat preamp'd subs? Someone has done one under the front seat and there are a few varition available now. There's a lot of space under the front two captains chairs.

Does the Bose preamp’d sub mentioned above also run at .5 ohm where you would need a line level converter?

Last edited:
I saw that post with the under seat sub/amp combo, but I already had my sub and amp from my previous car, the only thing I had to purchase was the box so it made more sense to go this route.

Amp is under passenger seat, also was able to get it to fit where the scissor jack is but my amp power wire was too short.

My amp has high level inputs but since i have a aftermarket deck I just used its preouts.

If you only want a little bit of bump try 4 new speakers and find a way to enclose the two rear speakers, from the factory they are just bolted to a metal panel with no backing, maybe try one of those baffle foam enclosures, and if you need more pick up something like the Clarion XC1410.

Back