FS: Spare tire subwoofer taken out of my 2003.5 Protege 5

Please read entire post before contacting me. I provide more detailed info about this sub based on some replies below. Thanks

Used for 2 weeks back in 2003 when car was new then I installed a speaker box in the trunk with its own amp and I removed this spare tire sub for simple weight savings as I don't need dead weight in the car. Sub been sitting in a bag in storage since then and is in brand new condition. Direct fit to all 2003.5 proteges5s and maybe the ES sedans also that came with a stock sub inside the spare tire (I'm not 100% sure if the sedans came with subs or not). I have PayPal account and my eBay id is sonicmixmaster with 100% positive rating in other words, I will not screw you on this. I'm asking 55$ + shipping which should not be more than 15$ in the lower 48 states so approx 70$ if shipped or I can make arrangements to pick it up in central/north NJ for 55$. If shipping is more than 20$ I will let you know. Canada shipping is over 35$ so in my opinion its not worth it. What will be sent is the sub with plenty of newspaper packing in a box from a small Lenovo desktop computer, the 8 wire harness plug which I cut off with plenty of room to strip the wires and attach extensions to be hooked up in your car and a piece of paper with description of what each wire is for. 2003.5 models of Protege5 will have a simple plug and play connection and will not need the plug i included. Other cars will need a basic amplifier wiring installation and need +12v from battery and remote wire ran from your radio to the trunk. If your radio has pre-amp outputs (any aftermarket radio does, some stock have it too) you can run those to the trunk also. If your car has standard radio without pre-amp outputs you can use the rear speakers but you will need a high level to low converter. The sub uses low level speaker inputs which are the same wires that the aftermarket radio has marked as pre-amp outputs. On the trunk end those wires will need to have the RCA plugs cut off and bare wires exposed to be connected to the input wires on the amp. Before connecting you will need a volt meter to check which is + and - and match them to the marked + and - on the sub wiring plug i included. All of this may sound complicated but it is the very basic of amplifier installations. If you are local I can help you install it as I'm currently not working and have plenty of time.

NOTE: I don't guarantee that this sub is powerful enough for you. You should understand that this is a original mazda equipment and will perform as a original mazda equipment and this sale is considered as a replacement for your damaged/stolen or whatever spare tire sub. It will add bass to a car that doesnt have a sub and it is sufficient for normal listening.

Just added additional pics <HERE>

Attachments

• DSC_0685.JPG
    DSC_0685.JPG
    203.6 KB · Views: 1,780
  • DSC_0686.JPG
    DSC_0686.JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 941
  • DSC_0687.JPG
    DSC_0687.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 761
Last edited:
Hey Paul, Will this fit in the spare tire for a Mazda5, its probably as big as my 8" woofer now except it would be hidden...you got a picture of the wiring?

Hey Paul, Will this fit in the spare tire for a Mazda5, its probably as big as my 8" woofer now except it would be hidden...you got a picture of the wiring?
It hooks up with standard amplifier wiring. look in the first post for a link with additional pictures. once you click on those go to page 2 and it shows the wire harness. this should fit inside any spare tire that is 13 inches or bigger.

Last edited:
sub is still available but shipping to canada is too expensive @ approx 33us$ so local or us buyers preffered.

ok im leaving to mississauga, ontario tomorrow. if anyone wants the sub from mississauga area i will take 55$ canadian dollars but you need to tell me before i leave tomorrow 3pm so i take it with me. I know its kind of late for me to post this but i didnt think of it before.

Last edited:
If I can find a way to power and feed it from the stock H/U in a Mazda5, I'd take it for $70. Let me look into it.

It has standard amplifier wiring so its doable just from the rear speakers if you have a high level to low level converter another words speaker level to rca converter which reduces the power so you can plug it in to your rca input on the amp.
If I can find a way to power and feed it from the stock H/U in a Mazda5, I'd take it for $70. Let me look into it.

Ok, that gets signal, but any clue how I'd power it? Just run a line from the fuse box or something?

Actually, I guess the better question is: do you know what all of the various wires going into it do?

i have them marked on a piece of paper inside the box with the sub. I remember that blue was remote (this needs to run from the back of the radio) like usually is in standard amp wiring. this sub has inputs for both left and right like a normal amp has. the sub is actually made by pioneer but i dont remember the model #. you will have to run a positve 12 v line to the trunk for power. it doesnt have to be thicker than im thinking 10 gauge as the power wire is i think 14 but i dont remember exactly (look at the pic link and you will see all wires about the same gauge). but im saying 10 cuz of longer distance from the battery so you dont want to under power it either. http://photos-3.dropbox.com/i/l/cB2...gv_yk-ThAe5I_GKE/1227340/1296939600/5219873#3 the longer red yellow and black are + - and ground. you can put the - and ground to the chassis in the trunk as long as you scrape some of the paint off so you get good contact. yes it has 2 ground wires and im thinking you can mount both to the same spot in the trunk. the shorter rest is low level speaker input and remote is blue.

Cool, thanks for the info. Sell it to MazdaSpeeder, though, I think I'm going to go a different way.

I can say for anyone that is shopping for this, it's a great set up, as long as you aren't trying for a MAXIMUM BASS EARTHQUAKE!!!!!!!!! situation. It's compact, hidden, out of the way and provides enough bass to fill in the sound in the P5. I'm very happy with ours, though for heavy beat dance music and hip hop, I could use a bit more thump. If your P5 didn't come stock with it, MazdaSpeeder, you may need to find a way to elevate the hatch floor/mat a little bit, as I think the cars that came with this came with an elevated floor to clear the sub.

yes its not for huge bass but it does make a big difference over a standard p5 sound without the sub. i wanted to shake the windows of the houses out on the street so thats why i upgraded LOL. and i was used to the big bass from my previous car that didnt come with any subs. the floor board is the same i think cuz in a normal p5 the spare tire is flipped around so the outside part of the wheel is on top. in the sub situation its on the bottom and the sub goes inside the spare. i might be wrong but this is what it looks like to me. but im not sure about the length of the bolt that holds the spare in. i have a picture of the bolt in the first post in the dropbox gallery if anyone wants to verify.

Back