Anyone have experience with K&N drop in?

taimysho0

:
mazda cx5
Hi just got a new 2014 cx-5 and wanting to do some subtle mods, i was looking for a good intake but saw that the corksport is not the best intake out there, wanted to know if anyones done a k&n drop in? and if so, any noticeable gains in torque or mpg (maybe +1 or +2 mpg higher than normal?)

I don't think you'll see an increase with the K&N drop in, if it were that simple to gain mpg the factory would be using different filters. But, you will be able to clean the filter and reuse it. Depending on your driving conditions, you might see a small increase if you clean more frequently.

I don't think you'll see an increase with the K&N drop in, if it were that simple to gain mpg the factory would be using different filters. But, you will be able to clean the filter and reuse it. Depending on your driving conditions, you might see a small increase if you clean more frequently.

A K&N will not improve power or MPG on a CX-5. It will let more dirt into your engine and, depending upon how well it's oiled, it could foul your MAF sensor. The OEM pleated filter is of exceptional quality and lasts around 30,000 miles.

You'll get return savings of a few bucks after 100,000 miles. Other than that, there are practically no advantages.

As others have said, it won't give you any appreciative improvement.

If you look at the airflow versus engine RPM curves that K&V uses, you'll notice that the only place there's any perceivable difference is around the top of the RPM range. Particularly with the way that the transmission in the CX-5 is set up, we spend most of our time down at the low range of the RPM band. True, the K&V filter is cleanable and reusable, but by the time you factor in the cost of oil, cleaning solution, and the time spent cleaning and re-oiling the filter, you won't save anything.

K&N is a racing filter, but not a street one. Save your money.

As others have said, it won't give you any appreciative improvement.

If you look at the airflow versus engine RPM curves that K&V uses, you'll notice that the only place there's any perceivable difference is around the top of the RPM range. Particularly with the way that the transmission in the CX-5 is set up, we spend most of our time down at the low range of the RPM band. True, the K&V filter is cleanable and reusable, but by the time you factor in the cost of oil, cleaning solution, and the time spent cleaning and re-oiling the filter, you won't save anything.

K&N is a racing filter, but not a street one. Save your money.

As others have said, and has been discussed before on here, don't bother. Because of the way a gasoline engine works, it can't and won't improve fuel mileage. Period. Don't care what your neighbor's uncle's brother's friend's gas mileage improved. Ain't gonna happen.

It can improve horsepower. A tiny, tiny amount, when you are full throttle. Yes, foot on the FLOOR, not almost, not mostly, not close, but foot on the floor. Maybe a horsepower or three.

And, as MikeM said, more dirt will get into your engine.

A panel filter in the stock box should be the same volume, so no worries there. Intake design and the presence of resonators is the chief determining factor of that.

thanks guys, i will now not purchase the filter. on a side note, when i turn off the engine with push start how do i make it so the radio stays on? i tried turning off with foot on and off the brakes put the car turns off with everything turned off

Keep it in any gear but PARK (preferably neutral). THe car will refrain from going full off when the Start/Stop button is pushed while the engine is running. If you want to go from full off to ACCESSORIES mode, click the button once without the brake pressed. For ON mode from full off without the engine running, click it twice, or once again from when you are already in ACCESSORIES mode.

Back