Anyone else get a lot of road noise with the stock Toyo tires?

I've got almost 24000 miles on my 2021 Signature and the stock Toyo's are loud as hell.
Is this common for these tires?
Also, what is a good replacement?

Yes they get very noisy as they age , specifically on coarse or bad roads. Also they rarely last more than 30k miles and are bad for wet/snow.

Lots of options for new tires depending on your budget and what you need and where you plan to drive (i.e more summer biased or more winter or in between).

Here are some options in the oem size 225 55 19

Michelin Primacy Tour AS (excellent touring,quet,ok for all season)
Michelin Cross Climate 2 (winter bias,ok for all season)
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 AS (sport bias,ok for all seasons)
Continental Cross Contact LX25 (good overall,old model design, ok for all seasons)
Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 (good overall,new model design, ok for all seasons)
Good year assurance comfort drive (very quiet,ok for all seasons)
Bridgestone weatherpeak (winter bias,ok all season)

for pure summer tire
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV (best summer only, not for winter or freezing temps)

All prices range between 230 to 260 per tire.
Anything you pick will be much better than the Toyo.

Last edited:
I dumped them around 20,000. They get really noisy after about 12,000 miles. Went with Pirelli Scorps on my 16 and Continentals on my 19. Both much better tires than the OEM Toyos.

... Continental Cross Contact LX25 (good overall,old model design, ok for all seasons)...

I have a set of the LX25 on a 19 signature for about 35k miles now. I give them high marks for everything except hydroplaning resistance. Wet traction is great but if you get water filled ruts on the highway etc it doesn't deal as well with evacuating that amount of water.

But they particularly excel at comfort and quiet.

They are good tires indeed. Few years ago when the 225 55 19 were not popular size, The LX25 and one Michelin (now discontinued) were the only choice for a very good tire in that size. Nowadays we have more options thankfully. Its more popular tire size due to other Brands having the same size today.
I got rid of my Toyo at 15.000 miles as the noise and wet performance went down the drain. They were ok for dry in the first 1 year but it is very cheap tire. New is around 180 usd. Compare to the 230+ for all the other and one gets it why they are cheap. Still a shame to Mazda that it puts that tire on their top trims.

Continental Cross Contact LX25 (good overall,old model design, ok for all seasons)
Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 (good overall,new model design, ok for all seasons)
I also do not like the stock Toyo's on my 2019 GTR. Still plenty of tread left so I've been dragging my feet replacing them. I replaced the tires on my wife's Outback with the Conti LX25 & have been very pleased with them.

I added both the Conti LX25 & Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 to my "Save for later" shopping cart on Amazon & watch the prices which fluctuate almost daily. I've actually been pleasantly surprised by Amazon's tire pricing & never considered them as a source for tires in the past. My local tire installer also price matched the Amazon price when I put the Conti's on my wife's Outback.

I'm leaning toward the Pirelli's for my GTR as I had previous similar version of the Scorpions on my Golf TDI a few years ago & really liked them.

I too was looking for a replacement for my oem Toyo's, but due to premature wear. They do start to get noisy as they wear. I was looking at the Conti LX25's, Michelin CC 2's and the Pirelli Scorpion AS plus 3's. Don't get me wrong, the Toyo's were a great performing tire but who wants to buy an expensive tire then have to replace it way to early. I compared the ratings of my other choices and the Pirelli Scorpion AS plus 3, which was a new model in 2021, came out on top. I bought mine at COSTCO (here in Canada). They tried to sell me the Michelin CC2's but I resisted and I'm glad I did, as my neighbor bought the CC2's and loved them for 8 months until they started to get REALLY noisy, so bad in fact, that he returned them to COSTCO. I absolutely LOVE my Pirelli Scorpion AS plus 3's, so far.

I too was looking for a replacement for my oem Toyo's, but due to premature wear. They do start to get noisy as they wear. I was looking at the Conti LX25's, Michelin CC 2's and the Pirelli Scorpion AS plus 3's. Don't get me wrong, the Toyo's were a great performing tire but who wants to buy an expensive tire then have to replace it way to early. I compared the ratings of my other choices and the Pirelli Scorpion AS plus 3, which was a new model in 2021, came out on top. I bought mine at COSTCO (here in Canada). They tried to sell me the Michelin CC2's but I resisted and I'm glad I did, as my neighbor bought the CC2's and loved them for 8 months until they started to get REALLY noisy, so bad in fact, that he returned them to COSTCO. I absolutely LOVE my Pirelli Scorpion AS plus 3's, so far.
That’s a bummer. I’ve got 30k miles on my CC2 tires and they’re holding up well. They’re 17” though and could be a different size than your neighbors.

My 2019 has the Toyo A36 tires and it seems a lot of people don't like them for one reason or another. I've had no problem with them.I've got 47000 miles on them and now I'm thinking of replacing them. Maybe it's because I live in Florida I haven't had trouble. I'm satisfied with them.

My 2019 has the Toyo A36 tires and it seems a lot of people don't like them for one reason or another. I've had no problem with them.I've got 47000 miles on them and now I'm thinking of replacing them. Maybe it's because I live in Florida I haven't had trouble. I'm satisfied with them.
I've liked them pretty fine too. I'm over 50K miles but use separate Winter tires for like 4 months a year. I did notice the season before last that they had gotten louder and poorer traction in wet. But then last season they seemed fine. And they're back on again as of Sunday.

I have Michelin Cross Climate 2 and I am ok with the noise. Mazda Cx-5 it's not the quietest car anyway so I am willing to deal with some noise and in exchange get a good performing tire.

Even though I own and am a big fan of the CC2 (best tire I’ve personally used!), it all depends on what you’re looking for. The CC2 may be overkill for most people. Three peak rated, great wet road performance. That is perfect for me in Northern Alabama. It rains here like I’ve never seen in my life (grew up in Florida!) and flooding is common. Highways in the area drain poorly. We may get snow once or twice a year and the roads aren’t salted. I also live on a small mountain with 1000 ft of elevation gain and shady switchbacks to go up and down. This tire is perfect for that.

Driving on flat terrain in temperate climate? Yeah, the “cross climate” isn’t your best option. I’d go for a different tire to suit your driving conditions.

Back