Anyone a fan of...

:
2021 Acura RDX
The new Subaru WRX's? We are considering one (keeping the CX-5 of course), but my wife really likes how they look. They're a fun little car, and with the turbo, it really gets up and goes.

I wanted to get another CX-5, but she wants a car.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any personal experience with them, or knows someone who does? If so, what do they have to say about them? Are they reliable (although Subaru's seems pretty reliable)

Guess we will see what happens!

One of my best friends had a 2018 WRX, and now a 2019 WRX STi. I have ridden in and driven them both.

My impressions: 2018

The interior is "meh" at best. Not anywhere in the class of rivals at this price point.
Handling is excellent
Transmission/clutch are quite good
Power stock is pretty "okay", and totally blah for the money spent, considering rivals at this price point. It's basically the same as a CX5 Signature/GTR. It isn't as laggy as the STi, but there is still some nasty lag that a good tune will do well at hiding. MPG is pretty decent, in the mid 20's for daily use.

In short, it's a fun AWD vehicle, but it's interior is very "meh", and the power would have been pretty solid back in 1995. I personally am not a fan, overall.

2019 STi:

-Interior is MUCH better, more in-line with contemporaries.
-Handling is EXCELLENT. Very fun car. Controllable and willing!
-Power is VERY laggy. If you're in the wrong gear or get caught after the clutch is fully engaged in 1st at a low speed, you're just a dead duck. Absolutely gutless below 3000rpm. After 3000rpm, it's quite good. I would say that over-all, the car is on-par for 2008 or so's standards. Sadly, the mpg is absolutely HORRIBLE, my friend averages around 17mpg daily driving, and when asked what the BEST he could ever conceive it getting if he refused to have fun in it, he hesitantly replied "around 20mpg".
-Mechanics, the transmission is quite good, as is the suspension. Whoever said these are "too stiff" can get bent. They aren't. They are about perfect. The clutch, on the other hand, is a raging pain to operate smoothly and well. If you test drive one, you'll "get it". 90% of the engagement happens in the last 10% of travel at the top. Horrible.
-Road noise and exhaust drone are...palpable. I would not want to road trip this car.

Overall, the 2019 STi is a car worth owning, although its time came and went in its current configuration, about a decade ago. The base WRX is a boring sad sack and I'd much rather have a CX5 GT-R/Signature 95% of the time, that other 5% of the time being in the corners.

2018 WRX, per Motortrend:
-60 MPH 6.2 sec
QUARTER MILE 14.5 sec @ 94.2 mph
BRAKING, 60-0 MPH 113 ft
LATERAL ACCELERATION 0.93 g (avg)
MT FIGURE EIGHT 25.2 sec @ 0.72 g (avg)
EPA CITY/HWY/COMB FUEL ECON 21/27/23 mpg

WRX Sti, 2018, per Motor Trend
0-60 MPH 5.7 sec
QUARTER MILE 14.1 sec @ 98.5 mph
BRAKING, 60-0 MPH 109 ft
LATERAL ACCELERATION 0.93 g (avg)
MT FIGURE EIGHT 25.1 sec @ 0.75 g (avg)
EPA CITY/HWY/COMB FUEL ECON 17/23/19 mpg

Keep in mind that the STi takes a 2nd shift to hit 60mph, and that the 2019 models received some suspension refinements and engine refinements (resulting in 5bhp more, allegedly)

CX5 turbo, per Motor Trend:
0-60 MPH 6.4 sec*
QUARTER MILE 14.9 sec @ 93.6 mph*
BRAKING, 60-0 MPH 125 ft
LATERAL ACCELERATION 0.79 g (avg)
MT FIGURE EIGHT 27.7 sec @ 0.62 g (avg)
REAL MPG, CITY/HWY/COMB 23.3/32.2/26.6 mpg
EPA CITY/HWY/COMB FUEL ECON 22/27/24 mpg

My opinion? Get the STi, but NOT for a daily. Otherwise, hold out for the redesign (this would ultimately be my move, regardless, as the STI just has so many rough edges and all it gives in exchange is a competent AWD system. Literally everything else can be found in more abundance, for cheaper, in other cars). Also, this is a car for someone who can drive. If you can't, then don't waste your time. Its bad traits far out number its good traits for you. It's definitely an enthusiasts car, and not a car for someone who wants a decent daily "that is also fun". For that person, the Charger would make a lot more sense, or a Mustang GT, or a Camaro, or any number of other vehicles with a bit less "personality".

THAT SAID...

I am pretty much "JDM or I won't touch it" at this point, and the only other alternatives are the Supra or 370Z. The 370Z has also had its day, and I owned one, and I'll never own another, or another Nissan for that matter. They are the Chrysler of Japan. If someone held a gun to my head and demanded I get a JDM sports car, it would be the Sti.

Also, don't bother with anything but the highest level of trim, otherwise it's terrible inside with no tech.

This video PERFECTLY demonstrates the dead-duck low rpm performance of the STi:

Now compare this with my personal 5-60 in my CX5:

The CX5 has wonderfully low (no?) levels of lag.

Last edited:
Wow, awesome review! Thank you so much! I will show her this. I, too, would rather get a GTR. Perhaps after reading this she will agree, or atleast think about it :)

I can't get your videos to play. If you have some of your own 0-60 runs, that would be awesome. I would love to see the turbo GTR 0-60.

Thanks again!

Wow, awesome review! Thank you so much! I will show her this. I, too, would rather get a GTR. Perhaps after reading this she will agree, or atleast think about it :)

I can't get your videos to play. If you have some of your own 0-60 runs, that would be awesome. I would love to see the turbo GTR 0-60.

Thanks again!

Nevermind, I got them to play. You're absolutely right! I love your 0-60 run! How much quicker is the turbo than the N/A 2.5L in the CX-5? I still would love that turbo!!!!

Thanks again!

Have her drive both.

Have her drive both.

Turbo is much quicker, and it seems like it's a much smoother power-band as well. Can you hear the turbo at all in the GTR?

I have a feeling she will go for the GTR once she drives it (at least I hope so anyway).

Turbo is much quicker, and it seems like it's a much smoother power-band as well. Can you hear the turbo at all in the GTR?

I have a feeling she will go for the GTR once she drives it (at least I hope so anyway).

No. If I lied and told you it was a v6, you'd believe it if you didnt know better.

Thats crazy! Its much quieter too! Now, I want a GTR :) You're tempting me to let go of my 17 GT :)

When my 2015 was in the shop, they gave me a 2018 GT Tech cx5 as a loaner. It was fwd. I would not have replaced my 2015 cx5 with another cx5 if the GTR/Sig were not available. I would have gone with something else. Maybe a lightly used Sq5 with a stoopid big warranty or something. The GTR is not in the same league as the sq5, but it gets much better mpg. Better than my 2015. Lifetime avg for me is 26.1mpg over 15k miles so far. Well worth the few bucks a month over the non turbo. I think it handles much more surely than the loaner I had, as well. More unflappable and solid, especially in corners.

Thats crazy! Its much quieter too! Now, I want a GTR :) You're tempting me to let go of my 17 GT :)
Yeah I agree with Unobtanium. If you dont care much on fuel efficiency and want turbo power, CX-5 GTR should be your choice although I wish Mazda used 2.0L with the turbo for better fuel economy. Keep your 2017 CX-5 only because it doesnt have cylinder deactivation.

I've considered a WRX, along with a Kia Stinger. I could only do the WRX in STI form if I broke down and bought one, but I doubt I would because the Lancer Evolution was a much better car and way more mod friendly, but she's discontinued.

With that said, I think I'd roll with a GTR before the WRX all day, everyday, but the Stinger is still a hmm.

Yeah I agree with Unobtanium. If you don*t care much on fuel efficiency and want turbo power, CX-5 GTR should be your choice although I wish Mazda used 2.0L with the turbo for better fuel economy. Keep your 2017 CX-5 only because it doesn*t have cylinder deactivation.

I upgraded to the turbo for the better fuel economy over my 2015. It also does better than the 2018 I test drove. In some states, Turbo is the way to go. Likely same for you, as you have legit highways in/around Plano, too.

I've considered a WRX, along with a Kia Stinger. I could only do the WRX in STI form if I broke down and bought one, but I doubt I would because the Lancer Evolution was a much better car and way more mod friendly, but she's discontinued.

With that said, I think I'd roll with a GTR before the WRX all day, everyday, but the Stinger is still a hmm.

I'd be torn between a Stinger and a very lightly used Maserati Ghibli SQ4. It would break down to which one had the best warranty available for purchase. Or I'd buy the new G70, as it's better than the Stinger in every way.

I like the STI but I'm probably more of a Golf R fan. Refined interior, DSG, AWD, and hatchback.

Last edited:
I'd be torn between a Stinger and a very lightly used Maserati Ghibli SQ4. It would break down to which one had the best warranty available for purchase. Or I'd buy the new G70, as it's better than the Stinger in every way.

The G70 and Stinger are basically one in the same performance wise, but like the Evo vs STI comparison, the Stinger responds better to aftermarket parts and there's a way bigger market for them. It's hard enough trying to talk myself into buying a Kia, much less a Genesis too. Unfortunately, most people feel the same way about Mazda. LOL

I like the STI but I'm probably more of a Golf R fan. Refined interior, DSG, AWD, and hatchback.

I know I am in the minority, but I think the Golf is SO ugly. I couldn't look at that thing in my driveway.

Me too. At 56 I am not real keen on looking like a racer boy, but in my heart I am still one so the Golf R/GTI really suit me more than the WRX STI, Focus R or Honda Civic R with wings and scoops and stuff.
The fastest car on our large employer parking lot, excluding the couple of Teslas, is my friend's tuned and modded 2017 GTI SE for $24K and about $3K in mods. It looks stock except for the wheels. At the same time it gets decent gas mileage. As one reviewer put it perfectly about the GTI, "this is a car that can easily be tuned to be fast and yet your wife will have no idea. She'll think you just bought some meager gas sipping econo car." Yep, that fits me and my wife condition perfectly.

Not really needing a lot of utility room I am considering going this route because my wife will not agree to let me get a Macan S or higher trim. However, the CX-5T is high on my list still.

not a fan of the cyl. head gasket blow outs that seem to affect nearly all Sube models - it's why I am getting rid of a Forester for a CX5 - no more Sube for me

same issue on an Outback I used to have

Google 'class action Subaru' before buying one...

Back