Anyone a fan of...

I think they're both ugly. I see these WRXs around here all the time with those big ass mud flaps. When the hell did that ever become fashionable?

The style for that Golf? Agree, not for me.

Last edited:
Take the Golf R/GTI for a test drive. Way batter than the WRX IMO.

Then take the Civic type R for a test drive. Yes, it has a boy-racer look but if you care mostly about driving performance and reliability, the Honda rules in this category. The VW GTI is listed in the "worst of the worst" reliability list, year after year, so I'd stay away from them.

I think they're both ugly. I see these WRXs around here all the time with those big ass mud flaps. When the hell did that ever become fashionable?

The style for that Golf? Agree, not for me.

Yeah I can*t comment on the fun factor of WRX*s because I*ve never driven one, but subjectively speaking I think they*re very dated looking cars. But I can see the appeal for those who covet the budget racer genre that Mazda left. If I were into that, Id have the WRX on the test drive list along with the Honda.

I had some interest in the STi back when it did 0-60 in ~4.5 Seconds.

The interiors were lame tho... it was obvious most of the $$ went into the drivetrain.

The interiors were lame tho... it was obvious most of the $$ went into the drivetrain.

-They're still just as fast in the real world. Thing is, the shortened t he gearing so a 2nd shift is required to hit 60, which "artificially" reduces its acceleration on paper/in magazine tests.

-The STi can be had without the stupid wing, as my friends car was ordered without one.

-head gasket issues have all been dealt with by now, as far as I am aware.

Honestly I'm about to buy a new car and I wanted a bugeye wrx. But they are overprice AF. So I'm probably getting a miata. I found a good price Mirage but ecu tuning on that platform seems non existent so no good turbo support.

Honestly I'm about to buy a new car and I wanted a bugeye wrx. But they are overprice AF. So I'm probably getting a miata. I found a good price Mirage but ecu tuning on that platform seems non existent so no good turbo support.

Nice. When you say new car...do you mean an ND, or what kind of Miata we talking?

The brakes are nice too. Suspension as well. Funny how theyre the exact same as the ones they used on the Evo back in the day too, but the Evo pulled better numbers in every category.

Diamond Star Motorsports And Mazdaspeed, sad to see them go.

The brakes are nice too. Suspension as well. Funny how they*re the exact same as the ones they used on the Evo back in the day too, but the Evo pulled better numbers in every category.

Diamond Star Motorsports And Mazdaspeed, sad to see them go.

The new STi (2019) is much more refined than the EVO, IMO, but really, I'd check out a Maserati Ghibli SQ4 with low miles for STi money.

The new STi (2019) is much more refined than the EVO, IMO, but really, I'd check out a Maserati Ghibli SQ4 with low miles for STi money.

Well, there isn't a 2019 Evo, or it would kick the STi's ass again. LOL (still might rather have a 2015 MR)

I actually like the Levante better I think, but honestly, I'm not interested in used cars atm, and if I was, none of these would make the list.

Well, there isn't a 2019 Evo, or it would kick the STi's ass again. LOL (still might rather have a 2015 MR)

I actually like the Levante better I think, but honestly, I'm not interested in used cars atm, and if I was, none of these would make the list.

Maybe check out the Guilia + a warranty. It's STi money, and by all accounts is quite fun.

Last edited:
I like the Alfa, the Stelvio too. Both might be lease cars for me at first. A Leased Stelvio over the CX-5 is quite tempting, honestly, as theyre practically giving them away around here right now (<$5k of a Sig).

But, in the long run, I know Id want the quad (lol). Stelvio quad actually is a little quicker on the low end than the Guilia. Both pretty impressive, nonetheless.

I like the Alfa, the Stelvio too. Both might be lease cars for me at first. A Leased Stelvio over the CX-5 is quite tempting, honestly, as they*re practically giving them away around here right now (<$5k of a Sig).

But, in the long run, I know I*d want the quad (lol). Stelvio quad actually is a little quicker on the low end than the Guilia. Both pretty impressive, nonetheless.

The quad is nice, but they can't seem to keep that 2.9 working.

I like the Alfa, the Stelvio too. Both might be lease cars for me at first. A Leased Stelvio over the CX-5 is quite tempting, honestly, as they*re practically giving them away around here right now (<$5k of a Sig).

But, in the long run, I know I*d want the quad (lol). Stelvio quad actually is a little quicker on the low end than the Guilia. Both pretty impressive, nonetheless.

I wish I could find the link that gave stats on the Alpha Romeo. Not even sure how accurate it was, but it stated the average life of an Alfa Romeo was 4 to 5 years.
Get a short lease. :) But watching and reading reviews of the Stelvio and Giulia they seem impressive for the money. I am seeing a lot of both in my area of NW Atlanta.

Perhaps Alfa Romeo has made an improvement over the old reputation. I was just reading yesterday a research article stating that all German brands have shown an improvement in the past year for dependability. The guy that wrote that said it was the first time in his 30 years of car studies that he has seen an across the board improvement on German cars. Maybe the European brands are finally starting to take this aspect seriously.

I've been driving everything I can find that's quick, not too big and can fit my 6' surfboard inside.

The STi is quick and fun to drive, but it just feels like a car from 2012. Interior is so-so, giant spoiler is giant, engine is a (loud, buzzing) beast, steering is about perfect.
The Focus RS is unavailable because of a recall, and the ST is FWD so no thanks for me.

The Golf R unbelievably nice inside, sounds like no VW I've ever heard, and is a little slower than the STi, but not by that much. Plus the way it drives...it really feels like it's got more than 280hp and really feels like an Audi more than a veedub.
If I were you, I'd take a Golf R for a spin before making up my mind about the Subie. I'm pretty much sold on one with that dual clutch tranny.

Too bad Mazda killed Mazdaspeed. That new three is pretty nice...Imagine one with 300+hp and AWD. I'd be 1st on the list.

Back