Anybodys turbo sputter in 2nd gear

redmption

Anyone having problems with their turbo kicking in 2nd gear, then sputter momentarily then go again? It seems only to do this randomly too...

the black msp that I drove I didn't notice any sputtering in second gear but I didn't get to drive it verry long! I noticed some turbo lag but other than that it was fine.

I will be accelerating hit 3.5 rpms you can feel the turbo going then acceleration glitches for a second then goes back

i have read of people complaining of a dead spot in the 4500 - 5500 rpm range. they say that it has something to do with the intake runners opening up and creating turbulance in the intake.

I've noticed a small hesitation around 3.5-4.5 rpm and i am currently looking into it . If i find anything i'll let you guys know.

Hopefully it's not one of those acceptable 'traits'

It is VERY minor though

I think I know what you're talking about. It only happens if you're under relatively hard acceleration and you let off the accelerator just the right amount then get back on it. The turbo seems to burp a little and then catch back up. It's happened to me a couple times. It doesn't seem like something to worry about, just avoid that kind of acceleration.

Check some of the other posts by FM and the other FI boys. I believe the ECU pulls fuel out of the mixture at that RPM (or something like that)

twiztedjeckel said:
try driving something that doesn't have a BB turbo then you can talk about your "lag" till your blue in the face

True the BB turbo helps fight turbo lag, but that's not the only factor here (I haven't driven one, soo this is not personal experience)...doesn't A/R have a lot to do with that too. Our turbos have a .90 A/R which would spool up a lot slower than say a T25 without a BB cartdrige that had a .65 A/R. The .90 has a bigger volume of air to move, thus taking more time to spool up, but gives us more umph at the top over the .65

If I'm wrong here, please correct me.
Also keep in mind that I am not complaining about the turbo lag (i'll be happy to have the turbo), I just found some mis-information in your post that others might not pick up on.

redmption, here is another possibility. At some point, the fuel vapors that are collected in the carbon canister have to be burned... this momentary sputter may be the raw fuel injection kicking out and the EVMV (Electric Vapor Management Valve) kicking in burning only fuel vapor. Perhaps the programming in the EEC unit doesn't account for this transition as well as it should. BTW, this is of course complete speculation and it's probably not the problem

twiztedjeckel said:
try driving something that doesn't have a BB turbo then you can talk about your "lag" till your blue in the face

It's wasn't lag that i was talkin about, i find the turbo transision pretty smooth compared to some of Mazda's other 4cyl tubos. I was talking about 1/10 of a second drop in power.

The dyno results from 2 diff SCC issues show a dip in both power & torque @ approx 2800-3000rpm. My drop feels about 1000rpm higher. Don't get me wrong, I still love my car, i'm just curious to know the cause of it. But if we can figure out a way to fix it, even better.

jroof said:
I think I know what you're talking about. It only happens if you're under relatively hard acceleration and you let off the accelerator just the right amount then get back on it. The turbo seems to burp a little and then catch back up. It's happened to me a couple times. It doesn't seem like something to worry about, just avoid that kind of acceleration.

Jroof, the drop/hesitation of power only happens under WOT, but I have heard other people w/ turbo cars complain of the same thing you mentioned. Aswell as when quick shifting without keepin the revs up. Your right those things have alot to do with driving style and not the car.

jroof said:

Hey, i've had this happen to my car as well once or twice since day one which was over 4 weeks ago. But it's very minor and can only be felt by the driver. I doubt passenger's will feel this kind of 'hiccup' like feel. I don't think it's a big deal either....The only times i felt it was when acclerating in 5th gear from 120km/h - 150km/h and i back off the throttle suddenly, then i'll feel it....other than that, i never feel it on regular day to day driving.

Back