Any way to force gps lock?

:
Former 2013 CX-5 GT owner
I park in a parkade at work. Often i go on road trips and set my gps while i have no signal in the parkade. I left today and drove for almost 10 km before pulling over, still searching for gps signal and still showed i was in the parkade. Turned the car of and back on and it locked on immediately.

So, is there any way once i get out of the parkade to force it to check for signal or to lock on without having to pull over and shut the car off?

Last edited:
I park in a parkade at work. Often i go on road trips and set my gps while i have no signal in the parkade. I left today and drove for almost 10 km before pulling over, still searching for gps signal and still showed i was in the parkade. Turned the car of and back on and it locked on immediately.

So, is there any way once i get out of the parkade to force it to check for signal or to lock on without having to pull over and shut the car off?

whens the last time you updated it? it should be done at least once a month because it updates the gps constellation so it can get a fix faster when starting up you may have also been experiencing a high pDOP in your area, gps is a selective coverage service (its better than it used to be) but i believe there still can be points where the service is 'weak' because of satellite coverage

What do you mean "update"? I update it whenever i see on here that there is a new firmware update. Last time was a month or two ago. I was right in the middle of downtown so i would suspect good coverage there. When i pulled over and restarted the car it locked on immediately.

dont just update when there's a firmware update, you have to update it regularly (at least once a month) because theres other regular updates like the quickgps fix which puts in the most current gps constellation into the device so it can find/lock satellites quicker, and mapshare updates, etc

Gps should lock on in most situations, sounds like your unit is faulty to me, or the TT is just plain rubbish.

Unless you're in a tunnel or similar you should still get a lock very quickly.

that's how my Xtrails satnav works in the UK.

When I set the destination when the car is in my underground garage, the GPS would be stuck looking for my location even after I am outside until I cancel the route. Only than it locks on.
I think it is a TomTom issue.

When I set the destination when the car is in my underground garage, the GPS would be stuck looking for my location even after I am outside until I cancel the route. Only than it locks on.
I think it is a TomTom issue.

Well at least its not just me. Do you then have to re enter your destination i assume? Major pain in the ass!

Back