Any Helpful Hints For rebuilding stock T25 Turbo

I changed the stock turbo to a T3 with a simple sleeve bearing and didn't notice that big of lag. There was a little but worth it for the kick in the pants from the biggeer turbo.

Basically im looking for a direct bolt on, with your T3 what did you do for the wastegate actuator?

Look at importperformance.net they have the GT25 for about $750 new and the Disco P for about $1000.

Im not really lookin for just a replacement after the crap this turbo is giving me. Does there happen to be an internally wastegated journal bearing turbo that is a direct fit for our car.

I highly recommend Dual bb over journal! Your situation was unique and you would be going backwards as far as reliability... with proper cooling and oil supply the dual bb can't be beat!

Thank you for the answer of why the dual ball bearing is better than the journal bearing. basically what I was looking for was an uprage to our turbo so in mean time I can get the t25 rebuilt for maybe a future car or if i was to get rid of my msp then id put the t25 back on and keep the t28rs.

The gt2871 has a larger comp wheel so it will spool a bit slower but will have more topend. The comp housing also plays a major role in spool up time... the lower the a/r the faster the spool but less topend. What are your plans? The gt2871 and gt28rs with the t25/28 flange and 5bolt gt discharge is a direct swap. If forged motor is in your plans the loss in turbo lag will be worth more topend when running higher boost.

basically I am looking for a replacement turbo for the t25, im lookin to boost about 8 lbs or 9 if im lucky. Im not gonna go forged for a little because all my funds will be going to the new turbo. Basically so far, my engine upgrades are, injen ram intake, greddy profec b spec II, forge bpv, just got an atp wastegate actuator but prob wot be useing it any time soon, and now I even have gutted cats. The good thing about the atp site for me is that they do COD.

What is the preffered turbo housing for the GT28Rs turbo- .86, .64, .63, .82, .48, or the .72?

What is the preffered turbo housing for the GT28Rs turbo- .86, .64, .63, .82, .48, or the .72?

Thats funny, G-Pop Shop quoted me a little over $1000. for there high performance rebuild which includes 360 thrust washer, GT28 wheels porting, balancing and machining for the GT2554R. Not practicle for this price IMHO. Anyways, If this will help I contacted ATP Turbo and I will be sending out my Factory CHRA including a few hundred dollars. In return I will receive a brand new CHRA. Better than any rebuild. They will mate the Compressor and Turbine housings for you as well. Be very carefull trusting someone to rebuild this turbo because Garrett does not manufacture a ball bearing rebuild kit. Some guys will tell you it can be rebuilt and slap the wrong parts in there causing it to make a loud whinning noise and cause other deficiencies. Go to the experts, MPNick, G-PoP exc.....

All in All, I think Ken is right. If G-PoP specifically told me that they could rebuild my turbo and now they claim they don't, just sounds a little sketchy. I've called about 7 different turbo shops from Cali to Arizona and nobody could give me a solid answer. This of course was before I realized Garrett did not make the rebuild kits. And If Vendors do rebuild these turbos, I wonder if there reusing the original ball bearings. In my situation, like I mentioned before, I will be using the new CHRA from ATP for a back up turbo and going Gt28RS. It's always good to have something to fall back on in case of an emergency. Cause we all know blowing a turbo is no fun.

Yeah, im just going to be getting the gt28rs, but what is the housing suggested?

depends on if you want top end or low end. if you want more top end, go for .86 if you want it to spool closer to stock which would be better at 9 psi get the .63 or .64. If you plan on going with bigger boost/hp get the .86

Latest posts

Back