Any Helpful Hints For rebuilding stock T25 Turbo

owenwes

#292 2003.5 MSP
:
Mazda Speed Protege 2003.5 Mettalic
Dunno if you guys read any of my past threads but im having problems with my msp. My car started out bogging when I would try to accelerate from a stop. Any way i replaced the wga and that didnt help. Took my car into a shop, they said my cats were clogged so I stomped out both my cats and that didnt help. Present day and now my car isnt even drivable. It took me long enough but I finally realized my turbo had gone bad (For some reason after I used the Z-Max engine system which I suggest you dont use). My next plan is to pretty much take the turbo off and rebuild it. I already ordered a new oil line for schnits and gigs and the one on mine is startin to wear away it seems anyway. I also got a turbo to downpipe gasket, oil return line gasket, and turbo inlet gasket on the way also. All thats left that I need to order is the t25 turbo rebuild kit (about $80 or so).

If anyone can leave some hints for taking off the turbo or even rebuilding it for that matter, it would be greatly appreciated

Also, check out the pictures below and tell me what you think, and FYI- My exhaust would spit out white gas when I would try to punch it.

Attachments

• oil feed line.jpg
    oil feed line.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 246
  • coolant line for turbo2.jpg
    coolant line for turbo2.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 274
The number there is 732-222-3679 right. Sorry im in the cali area so not really familiar with the East Coast. This seemed like the best forum for me. So he could probably help me out with rebuilding it? If any one is curious of why I go out to do it by myself is because worst case scenario is I mess up my turbo and I can replace it with a new one but If everything goes as planned then I will learn how to rebuild turbos.

This factory turbo is a ball bearing turbo. I hope you didn't order that rebuild kit because you can't just swap that out. They charge a lot for a reason.

I did'nt order that rebuild kit yet, just the things listed above, also worst case scenario, if I cant rebuild the turbo, I could use the things I ordered to install a new one. Is there a ball bearing rebuild kit that I can purchase?

not many people with these turbos or vehicles go the route of a DIY rebuild honestly. alot of people have it sent out or go to a larger turbo.

Just having to deal with the internal wga was enough for me to go with a different turbo. I can't imagine what I'd be thinking if I was looking to rebuild a stock turbo at the cost that it goes for.

Remember your car has the GT25(Dual ball bearing) which is a completely different animal from the T25(Journal bearing). Try a Garrett dealer. Limitengineeering in AZ does the rebuild for about $500. I hear also Garrett is going a turbo swap ie core charge. Maybe check that out.

Basically, I think at the price of $500, its just better off to get a brand new turbo.

That $500 is most likely a new center cartridge and you just swap the comp housing and exh housing from the stock turbo so it is essentially a new "turbo"

Does anyone know the Pluses and mineses of Dual ball bearing turbos compared to journal bearing turbos?

gpopshop are some awesome guys, I talk to gary about 3 times a week....but i dont remember if they can not or just will not do rebuilds on ball bearing turbos, they specialize in journal bearing turbos.

he told me after i sent him an MSP T25 that they could not rebuild it short of installing a new cartridge, which ends up being close to the price of a 28RS from ATP

he told me after i sent him an MSP T25 that they could not rebuild it short of installing a new cartridge, which ends up being close to the price of a 28RS from ATP

Well I guess that is rebuilding it pretty much...I am just quoting what Gary told me on the phone, that he can not rebuild dual ball bearing turbos, that gpop shop specializes in journal bearing turbos mainly for the fact that you can rebuild them.... and at what your gonna pay why got a gt25 rebuilt? you would just be short a few bucks of purchasing a disco potato....

So basically in my situation I should just get a new turbo, Ive basically had my mind set on the gt28rs but that is also a dual ball bearing turbo and I dont know if I would want to put up with it in the future. Is there an alternative replacement for our car that is a journal bearing turbo, and what are the differences performance wise from a journal bearing and dual ball bearing turbo?

Back