Any advice on getting the f*#@*(& EGR pipe off the intake manifold?

reverseninja

Contributor
:
2004 Acura RSX-S
I've got my new p & p'd IM ready to go on, and I've got the stock one almost out of the car. However, it's that damnable EGR pipe that I just can't get off. I sprayed it with PB Blaster and WD40, but no go there. I've got a crescent wrench but it's not getting a good enough grip. Does anyone know the best way to handle this? In terms of size, what size wrench fits that bolt to unscrew it from the IM? 19mm? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

I thought about that, and tried it a bit too but no luck. The heatshield is stuck because of the o2 sensor and I don't have an o2 socket. I suppose I should go buy one since I'll have to go get a wrench. Know what size that bolt for the part going into the EGR valve? 17mm, 19mm?

If you're having so much trouble you should soak a napkin in penetrating fluid and wrap the afflicted area and start on it tommorrow

Cut it if you aren't using it. It should be easier to take off when only half the tube is on the engine. The back half (which is attached to the stock IM) will be off and won't be getting caught, making it easier to remove, after the stock IM is off.

That is what we did when installing a 626 mani.

Okay, I got it off. I thought, for once, and decided I'd have more wiggle room if I took the top half of the manifold off. Worked like a charm then, was able to get the EGR unscrewed. Now I'm thinking about how to do the rear motor mount. I couldn't get the nut off from below that plastic wiring bracket, so I just took some tin snips and sheered away alot of that plastic. Now however I'm stuck trying to figure out how to attack those rear motor mount nuts. Oi this sucks!

Back