Advice on Intercooler Pipe Repair/Replacement

Schwamm

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege, 2008 Mazda 3 Hatchback, 1984 RX7 GSL-SE
I was driving in heavy traffic this weekend and accelerated hard around some stopped cars and managed to break my intercooler pipe that runs from the turbo to the top of the intercooler. The branch to the blow off valve broke off (it's a stock hard plastic pipe). It actually got brittle and broke off a few years ago, and has been held on with superglue and JB Weld for a while now. I think I've gotten all the use I can out of the current pipe, so unless anyone has a clever fix for this one I'd probably want to get a replacement.

I don't think I want a stock pipe again because it's expensive and will get brittle with age. What else is available? I care about quality and cost, not so much about performance as my car is pretty much stock. I don't want to spend more than about $200 if possible. Any advice is appreciated!

Bonus: Here's a pic of my side-of-the-highway repair job using what I had in my trunk (an old bike innertube and some wiring). I drove over 200 miles back home like this without any issues!

photo.JPG

They seem to pop up from time to time in the for sale section. Now there is a hardpipe set FS now if you cannot find the oem plastic stuff. You most likely won't find a new set of hardpipes in your price range. I'd try the JB Weld route again unless the mating surfaces are fubured. Or go to c r o s s o v e r a u t o dot com and have Sam send you a new samco hot pipe for $125 plus shipping.

Last edited:
Hey, it's Chris with the spicy MSP, I have the factory piping at home that you can have if you want it.

Hey, it's Chris with the spicy MSP, I have the factory piping at home that you can have if you want it.

Chris, that would be great! Let me know how much you want for it and I'll message you my contact info

Yeah there is certainly no shortage of stock piping in the for sale section, but over time all the plastic crap will break. When I was looking to see what I could sell my SLS hot pipe for, I found another one that looks like it is still for sale.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123835450-MSP-Intercooler-Pipe

He says this is aluminum, but it looks just like my SLS which is steel. The steel is pretty much indestructible, but it is heavy and doesn't dissipate heat like an aluminum one would, but you can't argue with $35 shipped.

Its also in great shape except a few scratches on the black paint. I bought an SLS due to it being a shorter pipe. The one I have for sale is perfect if you are running a stock intake.

Yeah $35 is a steal either way. Doesn't look like you are including couplers with it though. Couplers aren't cheap, good ones are about $10/each. Although I wonder how many extra couplers people in all car communities have just laying around, and yet they are not worth the shipping and hassle to sell them. Kind of like all these stock parts, they just aren't worth the hassle so they end up just rusting or eroding away in some shed or garage corner for eternity.

Yeah $35 is a steal either way. Doesn't look like you are including couplers with it though. Couplers aren't cheap, good ones are about $10/each. Although I wonder how many extra couplers people in all car communities have just laying around, and yet they are not worth the shipping and hassle to sell them. Kind of like all these stock parts, they just aren't worth the hassle so they end up just rusting or eroding away in some shed or garage corner for eternity.
so true

Very True! A lot like all the car audio equipment I have that needs to sell. I am including two new black vibrant couplers for an extra $10

Thanks for all the help! Right now I'm hoping to pick one up locally but if it doesn't work out I'll follow up on the $35 one

I'll gladly let you have mine, but this is a hell of a deal. I'll let you use mine until this one comes in if you'd like.

Back