Any advantages to having the Bose Centerpoint Car Audio System?

Went to a dealership yesterday and the only 2014 CX-5 Tourings they have include the Moonroof and Bose package.

Not really too concerned about the audio quality in my car because, let's face it, it's in a car. It's never going to sound as good as my audio system at home.

Wanted to do some more research before I came to a conclusion but there really isn't too much information on the Mazda website about the Bose package... so I figured I'd see what you guys had to say about it.

You say you don't care about car audio. So, if that is true, and you don't want a moonroof, just save the $1100 and get the Touring you really want. However, to answer your question, I am pleasantly surprised by the Bose system. It's the headunit that comes with the Bose system that is the weak link. Swap that out for a Pioneer/Kenwood/etc., and the system will sound quite good.

Last edited:
The Bose isn't as fancy as one might think. But so far I've enjoyed the 9 speakers, and the fact that a lot of the equalization can be controlled with the two (bass and treble) settings included, though an aftermarket head unit might offer more settings. The higher the volume is up, the better it sounds, which is typical of Bose.

As for the roof, I wish it would tilt a bit higher when using that function.

Is the head unit that comes with the Bose package the same as the one without the Bose package?

There is a touchscreen and non-touchscreen headunit. All Bose systems have the touchscreen unit, but it is optional to upgrade to the touchscreen unit in lower CX-5 trims without the Bose speakers. Also, I agree with IronMan0737 that the sweet spot for the system is at volume levels 30+, where it really starts to fill the cabin.

The audio systems go like this:

Sport trim: non-touch headunit with 4 speakers, with optional upgrade to touchscreen

Touring trim: touchscreen headunit with 6 speakers, with optional upgrade to Bose speaker system

Grand Touring trim: touchscreen with Bose system

Last edited:
I'm more than happy with the sound of the Bose system, with CentrePoint enabled its perfect, for me.

The only thing that isn't liked is the memory loss; the unit forgets which song you left off with and starts at the beginning. Also, the random play feature isn't random, it cycles through the same sequence every time. CDs on the other hand work fine in both instances mentioned.

I have a 2013 Touring with the Bose system. I'm glad I spent the extra for it (always wanted a sunroof too). For what ever reason I have not had the problem with the USB drive starting at the beginning after I turn the car off and back on. I enjoy the sound the Bose presents and as danieljw has mentioned 30-35 is a nice volume and cabin filling. Never had it over +40, need to try that on my way home tonight. Might also mention if you have a
few AM/FM stations that broadcast in digital in your area the system does a nice job with those as well. Also keep in mind the (as far as I know) the
Centerpoint function only works on CD's. I wasn't too impressed with the Centerpoint function so any music I have on CD's went onto a USB drive.
Also keep in mind audio systems are very subjective. If you do a search on the forum you'll find OPs that don't like the Bose system.
Take a USB drive with a few songs on it (make sure it's formatted as a FAT drive) and a CD, listen when you test drive.

I have a 2013 Touring with the Bose system. I'm glad I spent the extra for it (always wanted a sunroof too). For what ever reason I have not had the problem with the USB drive starting at the beginning after I turn the car off and back on.

The USB "problem" affects 2014 and later models, not the 2013s.

I have a 2013 Touring with the Bose system. I'm glad I spent the extra for it (always wanted a sunroof too). For what ever reason I have not had the problem with the USB drive starting at the beginning after I turn the car off and back on. I enjoy the sound the Bose presents and as danieljw has mentioned 30-35 is a nice volume and cabin filling. Never had it over +40, need to try that on my way home tonight. Might also mention if you have a
few AM/FM stations that broadcast in digital in your area the system does a nice job with those as well. Also keep in mind the (as far as I know) the
Centerpoint function only works on CD's. I wasn't too impressed with the Centerpoint function so any music I have on CD's went onto a USB drive.
Also keep in mind audio systems are very subjective. If you do a search on the forum you'll find OPs that don't like the Bose system.
Take a USB drive with a few songs on it (make sure it's formatted as a FAT drive) and a CD, listen when you test drive.

If you don't like it on the CDs, you can turn it off in the settings menu.

Went to a dealership yesterday and the only 2014 CX-5 Tourings they have include the Moonroof and Bose package.

Not really too concerned about the audio quality in my car because, let's face it, it's in a car. It's never going to sound as good as my audio system at home.

Wanted to do some more research before I came to a conclusion but there really isn't too much information on the Mazda website about the Bose package... so I figured I'd see what you guys had to say about it.

I have the Bose Centerpoint Surround Sound in my 2012 CX-9 Grand Touring and my new 2014 Mazda6 Touring. It was a must-have on both vehicles for me.

The Moonroof and Bose audio will work in your favor at trade-in time, too.

Also keep in mind the (as far as I know) the Centerpoint function only works on CD's.
It works with USB too. No radio, Bluetooth and AUX though.
manual.png

what is this centrepoint feature? i have the bose system but don't think it comes with centrepoint?

what is this centrepoint feature? i have the bose system but don't think it comes with centrepoint?

Centerpoint offers you the experience of 5.1-channel surround sound in your vehicle even with conventional 2-channel stereo CDs. Centerpoint can be set to ON or OFF.

If you have it, the setting should be at the bottom of the ‘sound setting screen’ (access by pressing audio control dial or touching the ‘Sound’ on-screen button). It’s the last item after AudioPilot (automatic volume adjustment).

To expand on IgoZoom's response, Centerpoint uses the D-pillar speakers as the "surround" speakers, and uses the front Left, Center and Right speakers for those signals. The rear door Left and Right speakers carry the same signal as the front Left and Right speakers, though at a very reduced level. I bought my CX-5 three weeks ago and just the other day had the opportunity to test the behavior of the Centerpoint system using a test CD, the Denon Audio Toolkit disc, which has a variety of signals, such as music recorded in Dolby Surround, and various surround-specific test signals.

Last edited:
One additional thing: the D-pillar speakers are wired in parallel, making them the same channel. So, technically speaking, Centerpoint is actually a 4-channel system (Left, Center, Right and Rear). There is no ".1" channel because the system doesn't have a subwoofer.

As to the question of whether the head unit is different than the non-Bose head unit, it is. The head unit in the BOSE system has pre-amp level outputs (think RCA connections) that feed a low-level signal into the amplifier mounted just above the passenger kick panel. Of course, the CX5 speaker wires originate at the amplifier, where as with the other systems, the amplification is built into the head unit and the speaker wires originate at the radio. So, I suppose we could say that in the models w/o the BOSE system, the radios and the wiring are different.

Latest posts

Back