Another Review, 2014.5

:
2014.5 CX-5 GS FWD 2.5L
In this thread, I'm going to review our 2014 CX5 FWD, 2.5L GS (Touring). Since some people on here think Mazda makes the best vehicle around, I must have got one built on Friday. We purchased this vehicle new 3 years ago. It's a later build 2014 with the few updates half way through the model year. Now has 57000km (35000 miles) on the clock..

Pro's............still "looks" good, a bit different than every other CUV out there.
Drives and handles good, no squeaks or rattles
Good power and mpg from the 2.5

Cons.........in the first year
*Replaced one front axle assembly
*Replaced heater control switch (would not hold defrost setting)
*Replaced the rubber on drivers door. (the hard molded one around the glass)
*Noticed heavy fuel dilution in the engine oil (one test was 12%). Dealer had no idea what to do here and threw parts at it. This has been an ongoing issue since.
*Front windshield cracks. At app 30 days, somehow there appeared a spider web of cracks right behind the mirror assembly. Dealer never wanted to do anything about it. The cracks have not spread into the line of sight so have not replaced it. Glass is getting a little pitted from normal wear, so will be changing it soon.
*While cleaning, noticed bottom of one rear door had a rolled edge. About a 6" section, where it looks like the door was dropped and dented the panel inward. This damage must have been done at the plant, since it's painted nicely and hidden behind the plastic molding that runs on the outside of the car. Dealer still has not done the repair.

*Skip ahead a little...(50,000kms). Had these things on record but dealer did not know how or what to do. Went in before the 3 year warranty ran out and demand they do something. Luck had it that my dealer just got a new service manager and he had no trouble jumping in;
*Replaced one power door lock motor.
*Hood vibration. I could handle a little bounce, but our hood would jump around terribly. They did the hood recall repair and seems to be holding up well, no bounce at all.
*Drivers mirror always vibrated. They replaced both with the new updated mirrors with the signal light. Vibration problem solved.
*Worked on the fuel dilution problem again. This time did a bunch of computer updates/changes. Checked all injectors, pumps anything to do with fueling. Engine does have good power, and mpg, so time will tell if this problem has finally been fixed.
*Replaced both front fabric seat covers, and one foam cushion. The covers were fraying badly and getting that fuzzy look.
*Finally did a couple recalls, fuel filler tube and rear door struts.

I've also received TWO professional detailing visits, since the dealer made such a mess inside the vehicle.
FWIW, the dealer has been poor up until this new service manager. Also have contacted Mazda Canada a couple times, but they have no interest in dealing with problems.

We usually keep our vehicles 7ish years or the 200,000 km mark. From what I've seen so far, there's no way this thing is going to make it. I take pretty good care of our rides, do lots of my own preventive maintenance, and have never owned a new vehicle with this many issues. The quality just isn't there. Maybe I expect more out of a $30k vehicle.
And yes, I could sell (oh that has crossed my mind several times), but would take a hit on the $$$. At one point, the dealer did offer to swap it out with a new model but the price was ridiculous, more like a kick in the a**. This is the wife's car and she loves driving it. Now that most issues have been dealt with, we'll see what happens. In all fairness, it does drive good right now, so I'm hoping this last go around has solved all the issues.

Anyways, just a little history on our CX5 so far. If buying a new vehicle today, I doubt Mazda would even be on the list. Hopefully yours does better.

In this thread, I'm going to review our 2014 CX5 FWD, 2.5L GS (Touring). Since some people on here think Mazda makes the best vehicle around, I must have got one built on Friday. We purchased this vehicle new 3 years ago. It's a later build 2014 with the few updates half way through the model year. Now has 57000km (35000 miles) on the clock..

Pro's............still "looks" good, a bit different than every other CUV out there.
Drives and handles good, no squeaks or rattles
Good power and mpg from the 2.5

Cons.........in the first year
*Replaced one front axle assembly
*Replaced heater control switch (would not hold defrost setting)
*Replaced the rubber on drivers door. (the hard molded one around the glass)
*Noticed heavy fuel dilution in the engine oil (one test was 12%). Dealer had no idea what to do here and threw parts at it. This has been an ongoing issue since.
*Front windshield cracks. At app 30 days, somehow there appeared a spider web of cracks right behind the mirror assembly. Dealer never wanted to do anything about it. The cracks have not spread into the line of sight so have not replaced it. Glass is getting a little pitted from normal wear, so will be changing it soon.
*While cleaning, noticed bottom of one rear door had a rolled edge. About a 6" section, where it looks like the door was dropped and dented the panel inward. This damage must have been done at the plant, since it's painted nicely and hidden behind the plastic molding that runs on the outside of the car. Dealer still has not done the repair.

*Skip ahead a little...(50,000kms). Had these things on record but dealer did not know how or what to do. Went in before the 3 year warranty ran out and demand they do something. Luck had it that my dealer just got a new service manager and he had no trouble jumping in;
*Replaced one power door lock motor.
*Hood vibration. I could handle a little bounce, but our hood would jump around terribly. They did the hood recall repair and seems to be holding up well, no bounce at all.
*Drivers mirror always vibrated. They replaced both with the new updated mirrors with the signal light. Vibration problem solved.
*Worked on the fuel dilution problem again. This time did a bunch of computer updates/changes. Checked all injectors, pumps anything to do with fueling. Engine does have good power, and mpg, so time will tell if this problem has finally been fixed.
*Replaced both front fabric seat covers, and one foam cushion. The covers were fraying badly and getting that fuzzy look.
*Finally did a couple recalls, fuel filler tube and rear door struts.

I've also received TWO professional detailing visits, since the dealer made such a mess inside the vehicle.
FWIW, the dealer has been poor up until this new service manager. Also have contacted Mazda Canada a couple times, but they have no interest in dealing with problems.

We usually keep our vehicles 7ish years or the 200,000 km mark. From what I've seen so far, there's no way this thing is going to make it. I take pretty good care of our rides, do lots of my own preventive maintenance, and have never owned a new vehicle with this many issues. The quality just isn't there. Maybe I expect more out of a $30k vehicle.
And yes, I could sell (oh that has crossed my mind several times), but would take a hit on the $$$. At one point, the dealer did offer to swap it out with a new model but the price was ridiculous, more like a kick in the a**. This is the wife's car and she loves driving it. Now that most issues have been dealt with, we'll see what happens. In all fairness, it does drive good right now, so I'm hoping this last go around has solved all the issues.

Anyways, just a little history on our CX5 so far. If buying a new vehicle today, I doubt Mazda would even be on the list. Hopefully yours does better.

that's absolutely ridiculous, you have a lemon. our 2015 Mazda 6 has 85,000KM on it and not one single thing has went wrong with it. it drives and looks very good for its age and I have no doubt that it will make it to 200k quite easily.

regarding the fuel dilution that sounds like a faulty injector. have a competent mechanic look over the fuel system and the convince the dealer to replace all injectors.

Not sure what your point is. Clearly based upon all the reports by places like consumer reports most Cx-5 have been reliable. Unfortunately you got the lemon. If I were you, I would not buy a Mazda either. My Subaru's had issues like you describe. Took me a while before I would look at Subaru's again.

Those issues would make me mad. My wife's 2007 3 and my car, a 2012 3 but had zero issues other than her window made a clunking sound when it would go up and down and I mentioned it to the dealer when I was in for an oil change thinking I would have to bring it back, no, they hopped on it a like a racing pit crew, two guys popping of the door panel, another ready with some lock tight and a socket to tighten up some bolt or nut holding the window in.. They said they have seen a few with the same problem. But other than regular maintenance they have been great cars. I have had my 2016.5 for 3 weeks and could not be happier.

Haven't had too many issues with my '14, and most have been minor things that a less fussy person might not notice... Gas cap had to be replaced after failing pressure inspection - dealer swapped it out. I finally had to have windshield replaced after the umpteenth rock hit (I drive 90% highway). Never had the bad luck some have with that, this was a big one that hit near the edge. I think the tech may have left some debris by the dash because there's a little rattle now, keep forgetting to run the vacuum around it. There was a suspension groan when backing down certain inclines (my driveway to the road) but a TSB fixed it. Only issue I've not been able to track down is the occasional NVH buzz in second gear between 2k-3k RPM at certain times of year/loads. I'm thinking its a heat shield vibrating.

My wife's 2015 mexico built 3 has had 0 problems whatsoever in 2 years and 20k miles.

Jesus christ. I have a 2014 with a Jan 2013 manufacturing date.

I have had to do next to nothing for it past regular oil changes, tire rotations, and replaced the windshield a couple weeks ago (uncracked for almost 4 years, chipped, sure).

AC system needs a little work, but everything else is good to go.

Not sure what your point is. Clearly based upon all the reports by places like consumer reports most Cx-5 have been reliable. Unfortunately you got the lemon. If I were you, I would not buy a Mazda either. My Subaru's had issues like you describe. Took me a while before I would look at Subaru's again.

Many car makers, especially the German/fun to drive brands are a hit or miss.

However, it seems like Mazdas lemon cars are few and far in between so I wouldnt single out the brand based on one car youve had issues with. Many of us on here have more mileage then OP and never needed to change anything but oil and air filters.

With the German brands, you are much more likely to get a lemon and the problems will be SERIOUS compared to what OP experienced. Like, major electronic and drivetrain issues...

I dont think "Lemon" means what you think it means. For a Lemon car - you need to have the same issue - thrice. there are some FCA dealers who have refused the third repair on the same part to avoid invoking Lemon law.

To the OP - this is what free market looks like-choose what you like. You got unlucky - I still have hope that drivetrain will last long. Good thing you got a Touring not a GT.
Only positive is that your dealer did do so many fixes. I am not sure what people experience with other brands. Problem for NA market is that there are no direct MAZDA competitors - they either fall way behind in style (Honda) or are a generation older in technology overall (Toyota). Maybe you can try the Acura RDX used. Its a lux brand in US but people seem to think of it as a rebadged honda minus the CVT and with some better sound deadening. Their resale is actually similar to a used honda in many cases. Problem is it sells in base trim mostly. Good luck.

I dont think "Lemon" means what you think it means. For a Lemon car - you need to have the same issue - thrice. there are some FCA dealers who have refused the third repair on the same part to avoid invoking Lemon law.

To the OP - this is what free market looks like-choose what you like. You got unlucky - I still have hope that drivetrain will last long. Good thing you got a Touring not a GT.
Only positive is that your dealer did do so many fixes. I am not sure what people experience with other brands. Problem for NA market is that there are no direct MAZDA competitors - they either fall way behind in style (Honda) or are a generation older in technology overall (Toyota). Maybe you can try the Acura RDX used. Its a lux brand in US but people seem to think of it as a rebadged honda minus the CVT and with some better sound deadening. Their resale is actually similar to a used honda in many cases. Problem is it sells in base trim mostly. Good luck.

Acuras can have a lot of problems too. Recalls on things like suspension incorrectly assembled among others. And yes, they're just upscale Hondas. My folks have owned a bunch of 'em. Where I think Acura really misses these days is in the suspension - they try to balance the "lux" (ie soft) ride with performance and it doesn't work. Lots of very non-luxury jostling.

Acuras can have a lot of problems too. Recalls on things like suspension incorrectly assembled among others. And yes, they're just upscale Hondas. My folks have owned a bunch of 'em. Where I think Acura really misses these days is in the suspension - they try to balance the "lux" (ie soft) ride with performance and it doesn't work. Lots of very non-luxury jostling.

Which Acuras have you driven before? My friend has a 2012 Acura TL which is supposedly based on the newer Honda Accord chassis, but youd simply never know it by driving them side by side. For the most part Honda did a good job differentiating themselves from their luxury counterparts.

My brother-in-law has a 3 yr old RDX. ~30K mi and he said it will go this fall. Lots of problems (under warranty), poor gas mileage, needs premium gas to run OK, ride and handling are sub par. The driver seat is comfortable though.

For the most part Honda did a good job differentiating themselves from their luxury counterparts.

I disagree with this 100%
From my standpoint, these brands stand out from their counterpart eco brands in this order
Lexus
Infiniti
Acura
Genesis (might change due to recent good introductions)

You can download Autotrader and note down differences between Toyota and Lexus models. Only anomaly would be the Avalon which might have a stronger resale than Lexus equivalent in hybrid and V6 versions.
Look for price difference for Acura and you can easily see -
Acura mostly sells base trims. Lexus does not. Acura resale approaches Honda's much faster than Lexus. Price out 200h which is Rav4 Hybrid based and see resale differences.

Which Acura’s have you driven before? My friend has a 2012 Acura TL which is supposedly based on the newer Honda Accord chassis, but you’d simply never know it by driving them side by side. For the most part Honda did a good job differentiating themselves from their luxury counterparts.

An RLX, a couple of TL's and a 2017 RDX. The RLX being the most expensive disappointment. My favorite of them was the RDX except on less than perfectly smooth roads where I thought WTF did they test this only on track?

Also, these confusing model names. I actually had to go look it up to realize it was an RLX and not an RL, and that the RL is higher end than the TL. Who runs that place?

Last edited:
From my standpoint, these brands stand out from their counterpart eco brands in this order
Lexus
Infiniti
Acura
Genesis (might change due to recent good introductions)

You can download Autotrader and note down differences between Toyota and Lexus models. Only anomaly would be the Avalon which might have a stronger resale than Lexus equivalent in hybrid and V6 versions.
Look for price difference for Acura and you can easily see -
Acura mostly sells base trims. Lexus does not. Acura resale approaches Honda's much faster than Lexus. Price out 200h which is Rav4 Hybrid based and see resale differences.

I think Acuras are mostly sold to Honda fans who have more money as they age.

Lexus
Infiniti
Acura

These line of makes have started to come out with cheapo versions the past few years like the weak G25 I think its called and the cheapo ILX version with the crazy low hp engine. Not sure if these are still around.

There's some truth here but most went on to Evo, Subarus, BMWs, ect.

I doubt that many of you people have actually tried driving an Acura TL before. Ive tried my friends and It drives surprisingly sporty with very quick responses and less suspension lean then the Mazda 6. Im quite impressed overall with its potential and the chassis tuning. The car has a tendency to rotate and Ive seen him fully countersteering a highway ramp going 160km/h once. Its a damn good car if you like to drive spirited and no one knows. If Acura made RWD cars they would be the best overall luxury sedan on the market in terms of chassis and suspension tuning.

Not sure how this turned into an Acura review, but whatever.
When we bought our CX5, I did a fair bit of research. Test drove all of the competitors. The wife picked the gadgets and color where I did the mechanical part. Seemed the CX5 was the best fit. Just sad ours has been a headache to own. Doesn't help Mazda and their dealers were not standing behind the product. It's only in the last few months that I've actually got some help from the service manager.

Comparing this CX5 against the last 2 vehicles we owned is no comparison. Both had close to 200,000 kms on the clock with not one issue., just regular maintenance.

When we bought our CX5, I did a fair bit of research. Test drove all of the competitors. The wife picked the gadgets and color where I did the mechanical part. Seemed the CX5 was the best fit. Just sad ours has been a headache to own. Doesn't help Mazda and their dealers were not standing behind the product. It's only in the last few months that I've actually got some help from the service manager.

Comparing this CX5 against the last 2 vehicles we owned is no comparison. Both had close to 200,000 kms on the clock with not one issue., just regular maintenance.

Unfortunately I am right there with you with our 2014 GT so I feel your pain.

A bad dealer can really ruin the experience. Some are just incompetent. I feel very fortunate to live within walking distance of a gold cup dealer. They're not perfect but generally have had positive experiences there. https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/press-release/2017-mazda-gold-cup-dealerships-announced/

Back