Another homemade H2O intercooler sprayer (long)

Professor MSP

:
2003 Black Mica Mazdaspeed Protege
I installed a homemade H2O intercooler sprayer two weekends ago, and thought that many of you might be interested in my experience with the installation and my seat-of-the-pants take on the performance hike it provides. I should add that II-Savy was of great assistance via the private message system. Sorry, but I do not have pictures at present. They would not be that interesting anyway, seeing as I have the kit installed to be invisible as possible.

(1) Purchase a universal windshield washer kit from Napa for about $41. It includes most of what is required to do the job properly. I also saw the same kit for sale at Autozone. Also purchase 10 feet of wire from Lowes ($1.20), as it is required to mount the momentary switch in the cockpit (10 feet is more than enough, but it is inexpensive and leaves room for mistakes). In addition, go to Radio Shack and purchase a range of fuses (5 amp to 20 amp) and a waterproof in-line automotive plug-type fuse holder ($5.50 for both). This is required for correct installation. Finally, I suggest that you buy two mist sprayers designed for a drip irrigation system (I already had some, as I am an avid gardener) and two quarter-inch by eight-inch extension rods designed to mount the sprayers (this will only cost $5 or so). I would not use the sprayers that come with the windshield washer kit, for they pump out a stream of water rather than a fine mist. Finally, purchase 30 feet of insulating foam tape for about $9 at Lowes (optional, but more on this in a moment).

(2) Mount the bracket for the momentary switch in the cockpit just to the right of the hood release handle (this is where I did, and it is hidden nicely), or in one of the knock-out areas to the left of the steering wheel. Pass two wires through the grommet located on the drivers-side firewall. To locate the grommet, lay in the driver's footwell and look up to locate a yellow wire. This wire exits into the engine bay via the grommet. Puch a hole in the grommet with any sharp object (I used a nail countersink) and pass the two wires through. Connect the two wires to the switch and then mount the switch to the bracket. Place the in-line automotive fuse holder in one of the lines located in the engine bay, and place a 5 amp fuse in the fuse holder.

(3) Unbolt the stock air box and radiator overflow tank, and move them out of the way. Wrap the windshield washer reservoir with the aforementioned 30 feet of insulating foam tape (if so purchased) and connect the hoses per the instructions. I placed the reservoir down low in the engine bay below the air box, and used zip ties to hold it in place, using the frame and lower intercooler pipe for support.

(4) Follow the wiring instructions that come with the kit. For the 12 volt source, I used the southwest bolt that appears once the fuse cover in the engine bay is removed. I ran the wires so they are nearly "invisible" and used zip ties to keep things nice and tidy.

(5) Attach one end of the tee to the hose coming off of the reservoir, add hose to each section of the tee, attach the extension rods to the hose that comes off of the tee hoses, and then attach the mist sprayers to the extension rods. Position the mist sprayers in front of the intercooler. You will have to play around some with the positioning of the sprayers to get maximum coverage of the intercooler. Ask a friend to push the momentary button while you observe and adjust the position of the sprayers, which are best viewed from below the intercooler. I used a hot glue gun to secure the pieces together and fix the position of the sprayers. Reattach the radiator overflow tank and airbox.

I use a funnel and long-neck water can to fill the reservoir with (filtered) water, and find that I have to take off the Calloway elbow on the air box for proper access to the reservoir.

One time I filled the reservoir with ice cubes and water. I sprayed while approching a red light and again while stopped. I received a nontrivial additional kick-in-the-pants when I got on it while merging on the toll road. Moreover, three hours after adding the ice, and in 90 degree Florida heat and humidity, the water in the reservoir was still cold. My conclusion is that the 30 feet of insulating wrap apeears to work well!

I hope my notes prove to be beneficial to at least some of you.

Good stuff!

But we need pics..atleast of all components purchased!

Chas

That was beautiful... Thank you posting and giving me plans for something to do on my day off. This should be stickied.

Do you have any pics of this? I have been wanting to do the same thing & I was going to use a How-To from VWvortex, but yours would probably work better. Where in FL are you?...I'd love to see your setup in person.

Thanks guys for the positive remarks, I'm flattered. I spent well over an hour just composing the write-up. You've convinced me that I have to provide pictures. I am off to the track, so I won't be able to take pictures until Thursday evening. I hope to have them posted by Friday morning.

Black Majik: I live in the Orlando area.

Last edited:
pics yet??? I'm attempting this tomorrow... I want to be done in time for Towers

I took a dozen pictures this evening and did some editing and enhancing in i-photo. I will post the pictures Friday morning along with some editorial comments on each. I hope to have them posted by 10:00 or 11:00 a.m.

By the way, you guys were correct, the pictures will make the install easier for others.

One more question... well, two: The 8 inch extensions and mist sprayers should be available at Lowe's as well as the wire and tape, right? Also, to double check, the fuses you used were the blade style ones?

Here are the first two pictures. Both are shots of the red momentary button, located, as remarked in my original post, next to the hood release under the dash. Please note that the pictures are taken from an angle that best display the location of the button, an angle that the driver and passengers would never have. Consequently, the button is much more visible in these pictures than from the driver or passenger seats. In fact, one would be hard pressed to even see the button from typical viewing angles.

Attachments

• 100_0937.JPG
    100_0937.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 596
  • 100_0938.JPG
    100_0938.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 501
These three pictures point to the location of the grommet.

The first is a shot from the driver's footwell. Note the yellow wire mentioned in my first post. This locates the grommet from within the cabin. You can also see the two black wires that run "north" in the picture and that are zip-tied. These are the two wires connected to the momentary switch.

The second and third pictures are of the gromment from the point of view of the engine bay. The grommet is that greyish rubber piece on the fire wall located just to the right-of-center in the pictures. The grommet can also be identified by the aforementioned two black wires passing through it. Note that the camera had a tough time putting the grommet in focus.

Attachments

• 100_0939.JPG
    100_0939.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 366
  • 100_0940.JPG
    100_0940.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 308
  • 100_0941.JPG
    100_0941.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 230
These two pictures are of the fuse box located in the engine bay.

The first has the fuse box cover on. You can see a red wire running in front of it. This is the in-line, plug-type, waterproof, automotive fuse holder that I purchased from Radio Shack.

The second is with the cover removed. The 12-volt source used for the sprayer is the bolt located on the "southwest" corner of the fuse box, as viewed from the front of the car.

Attachments

• 100_0942.JPG
    100_0942.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 279
  • 100_0944.JPG
    100_0944.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 253
The three pictures in this post are of the reservoir and its location.

The first two are from more or less the same angle, with the Callaway elbow removed so that you can get a good look at the reservoir. The first is an up-close shot, while the second is from a few steps back so as to give a different perspective.

The third picture has the Callaway elbow back on, and is shot from a position further to the right of the intake than the first two pictures. This picture gives one a sense for how it looks when all the pieces are in place.

Note that the reservoir is white. The black you see wrapped around the reservoir is the 30 feet of foam insulating tape I employed to fend off the heat from the engine bay.

Attachments

• 100_0945.JPG
    100_0945.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 300
  • 100_0946.JPG
    100_0946.JPG
    208.8 KB · Views: 282
  • 100_0947.JPG
    100_0947.JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 277
Puckpimp71: Yes, the extensions and sprayers should be available at Lowe's, as well as the wire, tape, and zip ties. I should add that I also used one 90 degree elbow on the end of one of the extensions so that the sprayer sprayed vertically (as opposed to horizontally) so as to maximize the area covered by the mist. Yes, the fuses were blade-type. A 5 amp fuse has worked fine for me.

Only one more post for pictures left.

Puckpimp71 said:
One more question... well, two: The 8 inch extensions and mist sprayers should be available at Lowe's as well as the wire and tape, right? Also, to double check, the fuses you used were the blade style ones?

Back