Another happy fill up

Man - I feel like i'm being robbed!

I've had my P5 for about 3 months now, and I have yet to top 350 miles on a fill up. I just filled up yesterday after driving about 325 miles. I have a 10 mile drive to work - about half highway, half city. Maybe it's time for a tune up?

Tune up doesn't seem to make any difference to me but then again I've did a full ruen up twice on my car in 35k miles. I still have never gotten anywhere near 350 a tank. I've gotten close to 325 with drivign with the light on for awhile.

Tune up doesn't seem to make any difference to me but then again I've did a full ruen up twice on my car in 35k miles. I still have never gotten anywhere near 350 a tank. I've gotten close to 325 with drivign with the light on for awhile.

Problem 1) Automatic Tranny

Try finding a lighter weight tranny fluid (with a stabalizer). I went to Syncromesh and Lucas Oil Stabalizer and I've noticed a world of difference in how smooth the tranny is now. Then again, I drive with a left foot :)

" ANOTHER ANGRY FILL UP"

I tried my best. 275 Miles on 12.5 gallon. 02 P5 Auto 43K. 50/50 City hwy. No warm ups in the morning, no AC, no Fan, Tires 38PSI, car use Mobil1 oil, and ATF.
Might trade in for a hybrid, or a Honda Fit. Gas has hit $4.05 Regular today in NYC. Sucks!!

" ANOTHER ANGRY FILL UP"

I tried my best. 275 Miles on 12.5 gallon. 02 P5 Auto 43K. 50/50 City hwy. No warm ups in the morning, no AC, no Fan, Tires 38PSI, car use Mobil1 oil, and ATF.
Might trade in for a hybrid, or a Honda Fit. Gas has hit $4.05 Regular today in NYC. Sucks!!

damn, its gotta be something, 275 is weak sauce

3 miles/one way/10 signals---> 21.33mpg

Guys,

I got a used protege5-2002/110K miles last month and yesterday I tracked my mpg and it was 21.33 mile/gallon

It's my daily driver from home to office and one way trip is 3 miles with 10 signals/stop-signs.

How can I increase my mpg ? I put in lucas ucl yerterday and would update you after a month.

^^^If you tracked it on your 3 mile trip yesterday...I hate to say but 6 miles isn't a very reliable test...

I have just filled up yesterday now that I've got the Injen SRI and OBX header. See if mileage changes at all with same driving habits

On the trip home last night 460 miles, 13 gallons. 35mpg. :)

47 bucks though... 3.65/gallon for 87

How the hell are you getting 35mpg??? You must tell me now. :lol:

Best I have been getting is 27mpg city/light highway, 28mpg all highway. If I could stretch my tank further I would love driving home from Atlanta>Detroit so much better.

My tanks usually have about 380mile range. But I usually fill all the way up till it is almost spilling out of the fill neck.

I am averaging 24mpg at 100% city driving currently.

See if it goes up or down now that she's breathing a little better

3 miles? Get a friggin bicycle.

I get 35 MPG easy. 85% or so highway in lots of high speed traffic. 150 miles a day....Warmer weather got me the extra 2mpg. Usually average 30-33 in cooler weather. Mobil 1 synthetic oil, synthetic MT-90, 176,000 miles.....

" ANOTHER ANGRY FILL UP"

275 is about when my gas light comes on when I get aroudn 24mpg in my auto with all in town driving.

My last fill-up was a HAPPY DAY...Back to Premium for the MP3 ECU...(flash) Gas mileage still seems the same as before, but I'm flooring it a lot more so whatever....24mpg is good enough for me...not like 30mpg would help offset the morgage...just can't buy that extra 6-pack at the end of the month..

i'm still not understanding why i have such bad gas mileage compared to ya'll... so far, i think i have the least here... i can barely get 260 to the tank, if that... :(

i'm still not understanding why i have such bad gas mileage compared to ya'll... so far, i think i have the least here... i can barely get 260 to the tank, if that... :(

if your car is auto thats all you need to know. The mtx trans gives another gear os its goign to have far better gas milage.

(omg) damn to a full tank? thats like umm 17mpg? might wanna do a full tune up, I dont think the auto would effect it that much, would it?

3 miles? Get a friggin bicycle.

I get 35 MPG easy. 85% or so highway in lots of high speed traffic. 150 miles a day....Warmer weather got me the extra 2mpg. Usually average 30-33 in cooler weather. Mobil 1 synthetic oil, synthetic MT-90, 176,000 miles.....

I wish i can get a bike but i need to go in the morning/come back in noon and go back again so it is 3 times 4 = 12 miles in a day

Hell, I'd ride one of my bikes 30 miles to work, 60 round trip at least 2-3 times a week if I had shower facilities at work. As far as my mileage, 30 miles open hwy in a.m., stop n go on the way home = about 320-340 per tank with sport auto. I could get more if it was kept under 70 mph.

if your car is auto thats all you need to know. The mtx trans gives another gear os its going to have far better gas milage.

It isn't the extra gear, it's the torque converter. The auto wastes a lot of power spinning fluid in the torque converter, and it will only lock the TC at 36mph and up in 4th gear. Once it's locked the auto and manual are quite close in mileage, so on the highway they give almost the same mpg. In the city though, the mtx is much better. With a manual one could emulate what the auto does by keeping the clutch only partially engaged...

I wish i can get a bike but i need to go in the morning/come back in noon and go back again so it is 3 times 4 = 12 miles in a day

boo hoo... I rode 15 miles one way to work on a farm. That's manual labor tossing and stacking 70lb hay bales. 1300-1500 bales a day.... Comes out to around 50+ TONS. Biking is great exercise.

Still a bike or a scooter would be a good way to get to and from there cheaply

Back