amp sub and cap installed .

Anonymous MD

:
2016 mazda cx 5
finally got the amp capacitor and sub wired up .
alpine mrx-m110 1100w amp
alpine type R 12" 1000w
t spec 3 farad capacitor
13187900_10209406125014061_920729460_n.jpg

13115643_10209406128094138_336112766_n.jpg

13220013_10209406360579950_1064715060_n.jpg

13149827_10209406883673027_1451287154_n.jpg

13153356_10209406878632901_1438567106_n.jpg

would have better pics if it didnt start raining on me :-(

Last edited:
Nice install. I notice that seems to be the spot people like to install the amp. And it is a good spot. I'm just curious to know if there is any heat issues.

Did you use a line out converter?

yes i used a cheap kicker one . if you do it it will work but i want to swap it to something better . :)
12899805_10209088107183814_1834520747_n.jpg

shouldn't have a heat issue i dont think but my plan is to make the vent extend past the amp or block it off . when i do that ill let you know . for the summer im gona leave it alone so it has the AC . so far the amp doesn't get hot that i have seen . :)

Pretty cool install. Did you manage to get the sound working?

Thanks for the pictures Anonymous. Now I know how much space I'll be working with when Im going to install my subwoofer. I've been too lazy to get started on the installation.

Pretty cool install. Did you manage to get the sound working?

yea i had the shop re wire the line out converter to the front speakers and it works . but then the box blew the seal and it sounded like crap so i had to screw the box tougher better for now but i went for a drive today and the damn sub started smoking again . im gonna have to figure out what is up with it before i do any more . thats the 2nd sub that fried and smoked . i dont know if the line converter is wrong or if im just trying to push the sub to hard :-( . i called alpine to have them tell me the settings on the amp so i know thats not the problem and the sub is supposed to be a perfect match for that amp . so i dont know what to do now . probably take it somewhere to have a shop go over everything before i get another sub and box . if any one has any ideas lmk . glad the type r is a cheap enough sub lol . once i figure out whats going on ill pick a different sub . probably gonna get a different line converter too . one i got seems cheap .

yea i had the shop re wire the line out converter to the front speakers and it works . but then the box blew the seal and it sounded like crap so i had to screw the box tougher better for now but i went for a drive today and the damn sub started smoking again . im gonna have to figure out what is up with it before i do any more . thats the 2nd sub that fried and smoked . i dont know if the line converter is wrong or if im just trying to push the sub to hard :-( . i called alpine to have them tell me the settings on the amp so i know thats not the problem and the sub is supposed to be a perfect match for that amp . so i dont know what to do now . probably take it somewhere to have a shop go over everything before i get another sub and box . if any one has any ideas lmk . glad the type r is a cheap enough sub lol . once i figure out whats going on ill pick a different sub . probably gonna get a different line converter too . one i got seems cheap .

I'm sure its not the LOC. All that does is convert signals. That Kicker LOC you have is good enough. You're simply using a mono amp and sub.

- I would first have all your settings on the amp set to low. You're breaking-in a new amp and new woofer. Keep it low.
- Keep your volumes low. Again for new amp and subs.
- Check you ground wire. Is it really secure and bolted to an unpainted surface?
- You want to ideally match an amp's RMS value with a subs's RMS value. That Alpine Amp is rated for roughly 1000 amps RMS. What are the Sub's RMS rated at?
- What ohms are the amp and sub?

I'm sure its not the LOC. All that does is convert signals. That Kicker LOC you have is good enough. You're simply using a mono amp and sub.

- I would first have all your settings on the amp set to low. You're breaking-in a new amp and new woofer. Keep it low.
- Keep your volumes low. Again for new amp and subs.
- Check you ground wire. Is it really secure and bolted to an unpainted surface?
- You want to ideally match an amp's RMS value with a subs's RMS value. That Alpine Amp is rated for roughly 1000 amps RMS. What are the Sub's RMS rated at?
- What ohms are the amp and sub?

the amp is tested at 1136 watts and the subs are 1000w .
yea maby i got to turn gain down for a bit everything els was down . but the bass boost which i need up a little to get bass out . if its at 0 or at the lowest lvl there is no bass .
amp is good to 1 ohm so they say but rated for 4 or 2 . the sub is duel 4 ran at 2 . hope i wrote that right lol .
:) thanks and ill will lower gain check over it all tomorrow

i probly am trying to bump it too hard to fast . i just dont like the amount of base i get maby due to the crapy box i got . with that said yea i turn the volume to 50 trying to get the bass i crave . :-( so that could be the problem . ill probly get it looked at if i can find someone to lookover it just to be safe . if i cant get sub replaced again i might switch to a FI http://www.ficaraudio.com/product/bl-series-bl12/ and a way better box .

Last edited:
the amp is tested at 1136 watts and the subs are 1000w .
yea maby i got to turn gain down for a bit everything els was down . but the bass boost which i need up a little to get bass out . if its at 0 or at the lowest lvl there is no bass .
amp is good to 1 ohm so they say but rated for 4 or 2 . the sub is duel 4 ran at 2 . hope i wrote that right lol .
:) thanks and ill will lower gain check over it all tomorrow

i probly am trying to bump it too hard to fast . i just dont like the amount of base i get maby due to the crapy box i got . with that said yea i turn the volume to 50 trying to get the bass i crave . :-( so that could be the problem . ill probly get it looked at if i can find someone to lookover it just to be safe . if i cant get sub replaced again i might switch to a FI http://www.ficaraudio.com/product/bl-series-bl12/ and a way better box .

Everyone has opinions about the matter. Here's mine regarding High end audio. Short and sweet.

-High end audio are capable of producing and sustaining power than cheaper audio.
-All Sub woofers consist of movement which is excursion. More excursion more bass.
-High end audio have the ability to produce more excursion.
-High end audio have higher quality materials to withstand all that excursion. BUT...

-The quality materials need more time to break-in. A new woofer is stiff. Needs to gradually increase its flexibility. Introducing a lot of power prior to break-in may cause damage.

Again that's just my opinion.

Everyone has opinions about the matter. Here's mine regarding High end audio. Short and sweet.

-High end audio are capable of producing and sustaining power than cheaper audio.
-All Sub woofers consist of movement which is excursion. More excursion more bass.
-High end audio have the ability to produce more excursion.
-High end audio have higher quality materials to withstand all that excursion. BUT...

-The quality materials need more time to break-in. A new woofer is stiff. Needs to gradually increase its flexibility. Introducing a lot of power prior to break-in may cause damage.

Again that's just my opinion.

i think you are right . i think i need to chill and give any sub time to break in the right way . thank you :)

This is going to sound super gay, but the way you type things out is kinda like listening to a cute foreign chick speaking English to you (been there heard it).

I'm a foreigner after all. I have a couple of months of ESL classes taken her.
I "see" here, many Americans that write much worse then me.

dont feel bad my friend . i am one of them . i will be the first to tell you i cant spell or write worth a damn :) . i would bet you are better at it then me lol . musc love and respect to you . you are doing fine as far a i can see .

Subs don't need break in time. Suspension will loosen up over time and it will sound better once it does. But you can run clean power to it all the way to its rms rating with no issues. Key word is CLEAN. No distortion aka clipping. But if sub is smoking, well that most likely means it's done. Voice coil is burnt. And that's why the sub doesn't sound good. Since it's happened twice, I'd say it's the gain on the amp that's probably to high. You are clipping your amp and sending a clipped signal to the speaker which is causing the voice coil to get to hot and go up in smoke. Literally . LOC should have a knob on it also. It shouldn't be turned up more than 3/4. Half way is safe position. Gain on amp is a different story. You are level matching input signal, so it's hard to say where it will end up. It's not like a volume knob. Also if amp is 1ohm stable and rated at 1100 watts, well that's probably 1100watts @ 1ohm. You are running @ 2 ohm. The amp probably makes 750-800 watts @ 2ohm. But that's still enough power for the sub. I can almost guarantee the gain is set wrong. Gain can easily and safely be set with a digital multimeter.

Subs don't need break in time. Suspension will loosen up over time and it will sound better once it does. But you can run clean power to it all the way to its rms rating with no issues. Key word is CLEAN. No distortion aka clipping. But if sub is smoking, well that most likely means it's done. Voice coil is burnt. And that's why the sub doesn't sound good. Since it's happened twice, I'd say it's the gain on the amp that's probably to high. You are clipping your amp and sending a clipped signal to the speaker which is causing the voice coil to get to hot and go up in smoke. Literally . LOC should have a knob on it also. It shouldn't be turned up more than 3/4. Half way is safe position. Gain on amp is a different story. You are level matching input signal, so it's hard to say where it will end up. It's not like a volume knob. Also if amp is 1ohm stable and rated at 1100 watts, well that's probably 1100watts @ 1ohm. You are running @ 2 ohm. The amp probably makes 750-800 watts @ 2ohm. But that's still enough power for the sub. I can almost guarantee the gain is set wrong. Gain can easily and safely be set with a digital multimeter.

ok . the amp is 1136w bench tested . that is at 2 ohm . but alpine said it can run at 1 . ill re look to make sure . the loc might be set bad i need to look into that cuz the same store that set my amp wrong is the store that set the loc as well . they cranked my gain way past the mon and when i called alpine to ask them the settings for that sub and amp they told me not to put it past the mon line on the amp so i had to tune it back . they also had the subsonic set wrong on the amp. so i wont be surprised if they jacked up the loc on me as well . hell i had to go back and get them to re wire the loc a 2nd time cuz the guy assumed my cx5 was the same as his wife's cx5 from 2000 something . when i went back i had to tell the guy the setup is different and i showed him this thread where the wireing post was and he re did it the way it was said to be done on here .i found a number for the guy that owns FI car audio and called him to ask about there subs and we got to talking he seems to think the subsonic might still be wrong for the box i had so i need to re check the loc and the subsonic settings . once i get it all set right i might jump over to the FI BL sub . he said it will be fine on the 1136w amp . i will get back with him before i make that jump because there subs are duel 2 ohm or duel 1 ohm and i get lost in all of that . but iv seen the FI sub in a car that had a bad ass setup and that thing was sick . im 400w off of what it is rated for but from what fi said it will be fine . but for now i am sub less . i dont think amazon will re send another sub this time .

The guy at the shop might just be an idiot. He should refund your install money and pay for the sub. I'm sure it's his fault. If you get your money back. Buy a decent digital multimeter and set gains yourself. There's plenty of tutorials on how to do it. You can also use the meter to check what ohms you wired the sub to, just to make sure you wired correct before you drop in the box.

Of course; and I didn't mean that in an insulting manner. I myself have been a foreigner resident of another country. Make sure your asking for veteran discounts ;)
www.MessenTools.com-Games-tanks.gif

Back