AMP needed..(a.k.a. My No-Headunit Carputer Stereo Project)

linuxracr can you make some kind of general how to on your carpc? for us fellow protege owners to follow.

anyone else hoping that the carputer craze will light a fire under aftermarket stereo companies to increase features and upgradability of their equipment and lower the cost? there was a company out of korea or japan that made a carputer in a standard 1-DIN dash opening. and the price was pretty attractive. i'd love to see alpine come out with something more capable like a computer. something that has wi-fi built in or CD/DVD upgrades that can be downloaded off their website (like the blackbird nav system). i think the computer integration in vehicles will revolutionize car electronics. yeah it would make the brain unit of the iva-d300/310 two to three times its current size, but it would reduce the need for so much proprietary stuff and reduce the cost.

proprietary = profit for manufacturer. If they make you buy their products they are more likely to make more money off you after the sale. The exception being market trends such as Ipod that are bigger than the manufacturer's market.

tekkie said:
already ordered the sirius adapter, I am trying to pickup a screen on ebay :)

You don't want to skimp on a screen. Regret will come later when it goes out. Make sure it is a well supported brand like Xenarc. My how-to is not really in-depth. Just follow the link to my project on MP3car.com. There are a lot better systems that other's have built. Mine is just a laptop, on a port replicator/docking staion, connected to a screen. That's it. Nothing special, but it works!!

chuyler1 said:
proprietary = profit for manufacturer. If they make you buy their products they are more likely to make more money off you after the sale. The exception being market trends such as Ipod that are bigger than the manufacturer's market.

i think carputers *could* have the kind of influence that ipods have had. if someone really wanted to make some serious money, make a carputer integration system that works with some of the current in dash DVD units.

Possibly, but then you'd have to buy the DVD player also...meaning your product would be dependant on a 3rd party product.

SOrry Im late on this.
The factory subwoofer is a KSC-WA100, is an ported 10" sub and integrated amp. It does not require no can it take a different amp.

Its all in the FAQ

chuyler1 said:
Possibly, but then you'd have to buy the DVD player also...meaning your product would be dependant on a 3rd party product.

actually i'm referring to the people that already have in dash units. there has to be a way to figure out the touch screen signal and a way to send the DVD signal through an optical cable to a computer. there are certain integration features i love with my alpine equipment, but there is so much more i can do with a carputer. having both would be sweet.

DSCF3253.jpg

DSCF3254.jpg

You know, it occurred to me tonight, that since I have had a halfway decent sound blaster Audigy 2 Value card for sound out of my car PC for a bout a year now, maybe I should try running 4.1 or 5.1 Surround sound? All it would take are a couple of cable changes to the AMP. The pictures below is how I first set it up (an how it is now), due to the fact that my old Carputer was a laptop on a docking station, with one audio out. Notice that I merge the Front Left, and Rear Left together, and then Front Right and Rear Right together, and then feed them both, via Y-Adapter to a regular RCA Right-Left, down to one line to go to the line out on my soundcard. The last picture is the reference I'm going to use to setup 5.1 Surround Sound for my soundcard:

Attachments

• DSCF5146.JPG
    DSCF5146.JPG
    254.3 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCF5148.JPG
    DSCF5148.JPG
    262.2 KB · Views: 68
  • SBA2V_5.1.JPG
    SBA2V_5.1.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Ok, So I just got rid of the old, krappy unshielded wire, and put in some new, less-krappier shielded wire. I may have just solved my alternator whine issue....

Attachments

• DSCF5149.JPG
    DSCF5149.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
So it turns out that I can only run 4.1 sound right now, due to the fact that it doesn't make sense to power my stock sub with my AMP (as it would be too much). I will have to wait till I get a decent SUB to do that. So I went and got another RCA cable, and I will be setting it up shortly. Below is how I will have to do it:

Attachments

• SBA2V_4.1.JPG
    SBA2V_4.1.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 66
Back