Ambient Lighting Mods

nevans2014

:
2014 Mazda CX9 Touring
Afternoon Everyone, The wife is away this weekend so that means I'll be tearing my new 9 apart. She gets a little freaked out when I'm drilling into brand new panels and the seats are in the garage.

Anywho, I've already installed some ambient lighting over the second row so my 4 year old can see at night, it turned out pretty well and very unobtrusive. I've also installed one in the little cubby in front of the gear shift under the climate controls and one in the overhead console where the factory one would go had I purchased the Grand Touring. (I had to take that one out because it's too bright and distracting but am trying again this weekend).

On tap for this weekend are foot-well lights in front and middle and maybe third rows if I get crazy. Also would like to tackle lighting in the door pockets for all 4 doors. I'll post up some pics when I get down to it this weekend. In the interim these are the little guys I'm using. I've used them before and love them for their ease of use and solid durability.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/surface-mount-smd/little-dot-smd-led-accent-light/639/

And don't worry my intent is not to make it so bright you can land a helicopter, more so light enough to warm up the interior. I went with straight cool white as I like the look with tan interior and black exterior.

Subscribed.

Very interested in ambient lighting, as I had done a lot of work in my old 6 with red LEDs. My plan is to do a user-programmable color splash under the front seats (like you can with a Ford, STOCK i might add, lol).

Long Story short between the wife deciding not to take off this weekend and the extreme cold I didn't get a chance to rip my car apart. While I have a garage it isn't heated and I'm a little afraid to start ripping plastic off when it's a -30 wind chill. I'll post up pics as I get through this but it may be more piecemeal than I expected.

no worries. that's one of the most frustrating parts about winter for us modders... Too risky to start prying things off / adhesives don't stick / "fed up" level gets lowered to dangerous levels.

Latest posts

Back