Alternative rear suspensions

:
2008 Mazda5 GT
Anyone looked into cross shopping the rear suspension, particularly shocks, from another car? Id be interested in the C-Max/V50 rear setup. It boils down to the same platform so they should have the same fitment and I would like more stroke. Anyone look into this or own any of these cars and have worked on the suspension to give some insight? We all know Wiki is spot-on :p (/s).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_C1_platform
Among all of the cars, the floorpan is different, but the front- and rear-subframes, suspension, steering, braking, safety, and electrical components are shared.[citation needed]
Vehicles currently using this platform include the following:
2003 Ford Focus C-Max (C214), first European vehicle on this platform
2004 Mazda Axela/Mazda 3 (BK)
2004 Volvo S40 (P11)
2004 Volvo V50 (P12)
2005 Ford Focus (International) (C307), (Note: the Ford Focus (North America) continues on the C170 platform through 2010)
2006 Mazda Premacy/Mazda 5 (BK) (and related Ford i-Max)
2006 Volvo C70 (P15)
2007 Volvo C30 (P14)
2008 Ford Kuga (C394)
2008 Mazda Biante
2012 Volvo V40 (Note: modified platform)[2]

The only thing that would be different is valving, stroke is most likely limited by spring lengths and the rear 'control blade' flex.

Why not try Koni Sports or the FSD kit?

i currently have koni yellows on the back end of our mazda5. and, while they are adjustable, you have to remove the whole assembly and dismantle to make any adjustments. if i were to do it all over again, i would get a set of bilstein sports made for a speed3.

i currently have koni yellows on the back end of our mazda5. and, while they are adjustable, you have to remove the whole assembly and dismantle to make any adjustments. if i were to do it all over again, i would get a set of bilstein sports made for a speed3.

I agree. I also have yellows and adjusting the rears is a PITA! Just be careful which speed3 shock you order. My 2012 needed the shock from the older speed. The newer speed has a narrower lower mount.

The only thing that would be different is valving, stroke is most likely limited by spring lengths and the rear 'control blade' flex.

Why not try Koni Sports or the FSD kit?
I'm looking for alternatives. I'm sure some of these cars ride on different spring heights/ rates, which correlates to stroke travel. MS3 springs are ~.5 shorter/stiffer than Mz3 and I would expect the shocks to be adjusted accordingly. .5" travel is quite a bit. My interested is to find out if there are other aftermarket options for the other cars that maybe better (totally subjective) for the Mz5, which is essentially limited to Monroe, KYB, and Koni.

Technically there are NO Bilstein options for the Mz5’s rear.

Latest posts

Back