ALERT: Transmission Malfunction - Hopefully an Isolated Incident

The dealer had me call mazda customer service and they started a file on the problem, this all was part of their 'high alert'. They said they would be in touch but never heard from them, hence the question as to why no follow up with me. Hopefully new transmission is the fix it needed.

Wow, new tranny and again needs towing.

Did you get a decent loaner car (both times)?

Its enroute now. No need for a loaner this time. Will find out tomorrow what the problem is this time although same lights came on as last time.

Last edited:
Since you've already received a new tranny this is probably another issue. I'm eager to here what it may be.

Hi CX-SV: do you have any information for the transmission maintenance? Looking under the car, can you see drain plugs for the transmission? Has Mazda released any info on the transmission fluid specs?

Yes, per Mazda TSB on auto tranny fluid requirement (refer to Bulletin No: 05-003/13):

"filled for life", "no change intervals for ATF required", "flushing is not recommended as part of service maintenance", "If repair or AT replacement is necessary, use only ATF-FZ to fill the AT"

At around 7ooo Km.s the check engine light on our Max Sport diesel started illuminating intermittently for a few trips and then stayed on. Before we could get to the dealer,about a week later the transmission started to hold onto gears longer and then shift suddenly. It only did this once but the dealer said don't drive it and that the problem was most likely the exhaust gas pressure sensor (" a known problem") they trucked it into the workshop and one hour later the problem was solved . There are some very helpful posts in the Engine transmission forum about transmission oil dipstick and drain plug location which all check out on my CX5. The oil change is not straight forward but i intend to replace mine well before the 200 000 Km's mentioned by the dealer tech, maybe at 80 000 KM's.

Here is what happen to me.
Yesterday coming back from work at 2:00am, i was going on a off-ramp going slightly uphill the transmission just died.
No more power at all couldnt accelerate whatsoever. TPMS light and TCS light came on, pulled over on the side put the tranny back in PARK then back to DRIVE start going again for about 1 miles then again same thing.
Pull over a second time shut the truck completely for a minute and then start it again and everything went ok after that.
It was really dangerous, luckily at 2am i was alone on the off ramp but in normal driving hour this could be a real hazard.
I know i've read about that in another thread, if someone could chip in, i will also try to see my dealer about that today or monday if possible.
I am getting really nervous about that since i do about 120miles back and forth to go to work.
Should i be driving the car again to the dealer or get it tow?? All the warning lights that came on all dissapears so im wondering if it's safe to drive it to the dealer.
After it all happen yesterday i drove home for another 15 mile without any problem.

Back