Air filter for CX-5 - is the dealer the only place we can get one?

mclark999

:
2013 CX-5 Sport AWD Automatic
Don't really want to pay dealer prices for a replacement, but I can't find an aftermarket air filter at any of the usual autoparts stores. Is there a place to buy one online? Anybody have a part number?

Thanks

There are tons of online Mazda dealer parts sources. Not sure where a convenient link is here, but just Google it! Expect 20-25% off list price.

The OEM filter (Mazda CX7) at my Mazda dealer was $2 more than a PureOne and it fit perfect unlike some many aftermarket Mazda filters I've read about.

Just curious.....why are you looking to replace your air filter? The schedule 2 maintenance schedule (the harsher of the 2 schedules) has the air filter replacement at 28 months or 35,000 miles.

cause it is dirty I would assume.....mine is very dirty at 16k miles all city/highway miles. engine compartment is also a little dirty. I guess this is normal and comes from underneath(bad design) My fuel economy for the same commute has dropped from 34 mpg to 28 mpg

How much does dealer parts department charge for air filter?

Sorry to initial poster......auotozone does not have it but napa does for just under 20$....i think the dealer is 28

Interesting that Napa (and Amazon) list the same air filter for the Mazda 3 as they do for the CX-5. By extrapolation, that would mean the K&N air filter for the Mazda 3 (which fits all the 3 engines including the Skyactive 2.0) would fit the CX-5.

Also by extrapolation, if the stock filter is big enough for the 2.5 liter Mazda 3, it must flow plenty for the 2.0 Skyactive. No wonder the Corksport filter didn't improve performance significantly.

I think I'll head over the 3 forum and see if anyone is happy with their K&N filters. Read a few posts in various forums and the consensus is the K&N contributes to worse gas mileage, probably allows more dirt into the engine causing faster wear, and may provide 1% - 4% more horsepower but only at maximum RPM. Might save some money over replacing stock filters for a lifetime but if you lose 5-10% fuel economy, it actually costs more.

The filter is only $20 at Napa versus $28 at the dealer. I don't mind saving $8 when I change mine.

Last edited:
IMO, $28 isn't bad for a air filter that actually fits and functions as Mazda engineers intended.

cause it is dirty I would assume.....mine is very dirty at 16k miles all city/highway miles. engine compartment is also a little dirty. I guess this is normal and comes from underneath(bad design) My fuel economy for the same commute has dropped from 34 mpg to 28 mpg

That is the opposite of what another member had posted, where his car was filthy, but the engine compartment was still pristine, and very well sealed. How odd.

That is the opposite of what another member had posted, where his car was filthy, but the engine compartment was still pristine, and very well sealed. How odd.

Not so odd, if driven in completely different conditions (dusty/dry versus snow/slush/wet for example).

$28 is pretty steep for a filter that has a suggested list price of $19.95 (but it isn't uncommon for dealers to mark things up that much)

I've added the filter to our site http://mazda.handa.com/cx5.html for $14.37

Unfortunately, if ordered all by itself the cost of delivery will raise it back up closer to what the dealer is charging but it will at least save you the drive to the dealer :)

Trevor
http://Mazda.HandA.com/cx5.html

my engine compartment is ALWAYS dirty. I drive only highway miles and on concrete. I have cleaned it several times. when it rains it looks like something sprayed in there.

Couldn't find any aftermarket/K&N air filters, I guess our cars are too new & most ppl won't replace bf the 1st service interval anyways.

Cost of air filter is not big concern for most CX-5 owners, since the intervals for changing are at 30K miles (both schedule 1 and schedule 2).

Unless the filter is very, very dirty, it won't hurt your fuel mileage. Decades ago, when carburetors were the norm, it would impact fuel mileage, but not so much anymore. The increased pressure drop across the filter is compensated for by the ECU.

At 6 months/6,500 miles last week I checked both cabin and air filters for inspection. To my surprise both are clean as a whistle. I was going to vaccum out any leaves or debris but there weren't any. Engine bay was dirty so I wiped it down with a microfiber towel and water.

I ordered 2 for 12 each online when i got my all season mats to get free shipping. 2 skyactiv filters + front and rear oem mats for $101 shipped. Im planning on changing them every 20k miles.

Back