2017~2024 CX-5 Coolant questions

Hi. I noticed my coolant is below the L line and would like to top it off. I understand that there might be a leak, something I will be monitoring afterwards. I would like to use Mazda’s FL22 premixed coolant, but having trouble finding correct part number. I found three:

0000-88-AFFL-22A
0000-77-508E-20 ( seems itwas replaced by 0000-77-508F-20)

Which one do I need for 2019 CX5? Are there reputable sellers out there? My dealer wants $40, dealers nearby asking even higher. Seen few places with lower price+shipping, but not sure.

Thanks in advance

I would check Mazda dealers that sell parts online. Stay away from Amazon and Ebay.
I got a gallon from my local dealer a few months ago for $28.00.

If this is the first time in 4 years you've had to top off your coolant, that may be a record. I usually have to add maybe a little less than a pint every year or so. Just top it off (to the H) with distilled water and you'll be good to go. (Unless you reeaaly want to spend $30-40 on a gallon of FL22!)

> If this is the first time in 4 years you've had to top off your coolant, that may be a record.

Yep, first time. I checked my service records, and dealer never mentioned anything about coolant before. Now they say I need flush, because coolant is too low. Probably, same reason they didn't check battery and it died two days after the service check, when they said it's totally fine.

Anyway, spending $40 for coolant is not big deal. I'd rather have it in my hands right away, then ordering from somewhere... and since Mazda's are 55/45 mix, I'll use theirs.

> If this is the first time in 4 years you've had to top off your coolant, that may be a record.

Yep, first time. I checked my service records, and dealer never mentioned anything about coolant before. Now they say I need flush, because coolant is too low. Probably, same reason they didn't check battery and it died two days after the service check, when they said it's totally fine.

Anyway, spending $40 for coolant is not big deal. I'd rather have it in my hands right away, then ordering from somewhere... and since Mazda's are 55/45 mix, I'll use theirs.
Your initial post suggested you didnt want to spend $40. You can spend half that amount at Walmart or local auto parts store.

You want to use Asian green fluid, you can buy at Walmart or other parts stores.. Just because you are below L does not mean you have a leak. Over time, fluid evaporates. Fill it half way between L and H and monitor it.

I would not mix in anything other than FL22 coolant, that's just me. Mazda says not to mix so why would you? It's not as if FL22 is that hard to get or is it THAT much more expensive.

When I purchased my used MX-5, with only 11k on the odo, it was obvious that someone had topped off the coolant reservoir with something other than FL22, as the coolant in the reservoir was very cloudy. I'm just anal enough that I had to drain the entire coolant system and use the correct coolant. It's nice and clear now, bright green but clear.

YMMV

If this is the first time in 4 years you've had to top off your coolant, that may be a record. I usually have to add maybe a little less than a pint every year or so. Just top it off (to the H) with distilled water and you'll be good to go. (Unless you reeaaly want to spend $30-40 on a gallon of FL22!)

This may be ok but it will dilute the coolant a bit. Depending on where you live, this may be a concern. My advice is to get some FL22 and do it right.

Hi. I noticed my coolant is below the L line and would like to top it off. I understand that there might be a leak, something I will be monitoring afterwards. I would like to use Mazda’s FL22 premixed coolant, but having trouble finding correct part number. I found three:

0000-88-AFFL-22A
0000-77-508E-20 ( seems itwas replaced by 0000-77-508F-20)

Which one do I need for 2019 CX5? Are there reputable sellers out there? My dealer wants $40, dealers nearby asking even higher. Seen few places with lower price+shipping, but not sure.

Thanks in advance
You can try Mazdashop.ca by Scarboro Mazda to get Mazda genuine FL-22 coolant, Part #: 0000-88-AFFL-22A.

Mazdashop.ca by Scarboro Mazda is a Mazda dealer in Canada and it’s a legit Mazda OEM parts online seller. It’s been used by many members here especially for the Mazda OEM Canadian-only Premium floor liners. The prices on Mazda FL-22 coolant and Mazda ATF FZ are also significantly lower than US prices recently. And they do ship to US addresses.

FE11ADC4-901A-4C0B-8239-42516EBAE46C.jpeg

Not sure why many US Mazda dealers jacked up the price that high on OEM FL-22 pre-mixed coolant. My Mazda dealer still sells the FL-22 coolant at MSRP for about $25 a gallon.

Last edited:
This may be ok but it will dilute the coolant a bit. Depending on where you live, this may be a concern. My advice is to get some FL22 and do it right.
I agree. There’s a TSB on Mazda FL-22 pre-mixed coolant that Mazda had increased the FL-22 content from usual 50/50 to 55/45 due to the rust issue. I wouldn’t dilute the coolant on my CX-5 topping off with distill water either.

How often should the coolant be drained and refilled? Every 6 years or 60k miles?
No. For FL-22 coolan maintenance schedule:
Replace at first 192,000 km (120,000 miles) or 10 years; after that, every 96,000 km (60,000 miles) or 5 years.”

You can try Mazdashop.ca by Scarboro Mazda to get Mazda genuine FL-22 coolant, Part #: 0000-88-AFFL-22A.

View attachment 321895

Not sure why many US Mazda dealers jacked up the price that high on OEM FL-22 pre-mixed coolant. My Mazda dealer still sells the FL-22 coolant at MSRP for about $25 a gallon.
I recently purchased coolant for my CX5. Its a different part number than the one you posted. Do you think its ok to use?
s-l500.jpg

I recently purchased coolant for my CX5. Its a different part number than the one you posted. Do you think its ok to use?
View attachment 321925
If your Mazda genuine FL-22 coolant has p/n 0000-77-508F-20, it’s fine. It’s the US FL-22 coolant in 1 US gallon package.

Mazdashop.ca / Scarboro Mazda is in Canada and they use metric system. The Mazda genuine FL-22 coolant, p/n 0000-88-AFFL-22A, is in metric 3.78-liter package. I was surprised that it isn’t in 4-liter package like others selling worldwide. BTW, the Mazda ATF FZ selling by Mazdashop.ca / Scarboro Mazda with better price is in metric 1-liter package, which is a bit more than US 1-quart package on Mazda ATF FZ.

If your Mazda genuine FL-22 coolant has p/n 0000-77-508F-20, it’s fine. It’s the US FL-22 coolant in 1 US gallon package.

Mazdashop.ca / Scarboro Mazda is in Canada and they use metric system. The Mazda genuine FL-22 coolant, p/n 0000-88-AFFL-22A, is in metric 3.78-liter package. I was surprised that it isn’t in 4-liter package like others selling worldwide. BTW, the Mazda ATF FZ selling by Mazdashop.ca / Scarboro Mazda with better price is in metric 1-liter package, which is a bit more than US 1-quart package on Mazda ATF FZ.
Perfect, thank you

Back